Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of VortexNode, Fusa and FidoNet. Is it good or bad?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of VortexNode, Fusa and FidoNet. Is it good or bad?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited December 2016 in Reviews

Hey,

These reviews are based on my Personal opinion, which has been not bought.

I am still a bit pissed about VortexNode.

My expecations were that I can get a Cheap Dedi for under 10 bucks which is not Based in France with decent Support, with less then 24 Hours Response time.

I do not expect like 30m-2h Response time to every ticket.

Lets start with FidoNet, so they offered the following:

CPU: Intel Atom 1.8GB CPU

Memory: 4GB

Disk: 500GB HDD

Bandwidth: Unlimited via 100Mbit

Also with a /29 IPv4 and /64 IPv6 and all has been delivered, premium, for 9GBP.

I did open 3 Tickets, all resolved in less then 24 Hours, the Server had not a single Downtime until today, very premium.

In my Opinion a good Deal, which offers fast Support and a reliable Server & Network.

Lets continue with Fusa, they offered the Following:

CPU: ATOM Dual Core 1.6Ghz

Memory: 1GB

Disk: 250GB HDD

Bandwidth: 250GB via 100Mbit

With 1x IPv4 and 1x IPv6, for 5EUR, paid yearly in advance.

I got what they promised, even with 2GB instead of 1GB and additional 500GB Drive which stuck on a Raid Controller, interesting.

The Server was delivered in time, Speed is decent but just 250G Traffic, seems like Belgium is a bit expensive there.

What I did noticed, where some Network Drops, I don't have a Smokeping running atm but my Monitoring alerted me 8 (111 messages total) times in 2 Months about Network issues.
3 Large ones over 5 Minutes the rest was small.
Some of them are visible on there NOC Page.

In my Opinion its a good Deal for Belgium, I never have seen a Dedi there for 5EUR, with less then 24 Hours response time.

The Network could be more stable and they don't have a tech there, so it can take Days until they fix a broken server, and you only got 250G Traffic, but its 5 bucks.

Lets finish this Review with VortexNode.

They offered the following:

CPU: Intel Dual Core Atom

Memory: 2GB

Bandwidth: 5TB via 1Gbit

With 1x IPv4 and a /64 IPv6 Subnet, for 5EUR paid quarterly.

I bought one before for 10$ and 2x IPv4 but same the config, afterwards I bought 2x of these.

My 2 Boxes where delivery about 30 Hours after I placed my order.

Also What I did noticed where Network drops, 14 (161 messages total) Network Outages in 2 Months, 4 Big ones over 5 Minutes, the rest was small.

Well, the Support respond time is different, It can take for example up to 11 Days to get a Failover IP, afterwards they tell you its not possible. Seriously?!

The Managment Panel has no SSL?!
They refuse to Deploy a certificate, cuz they want to move stuff to WHCMS in January, sensitive Data is transmitted there and they dont care. I mean it takes 2 Minutes to deploy a dam SSL Cert.

In my Opinion, Its 5 Bucks, mostly they do respond within 24-48 Hours but these 11 Days for a Failover IP, something died in me.

The Network is Okay but it Could be better, less outages would be great.

I saw stuff that is worse then that, Its okay for the price.

Thanks for Reading, If that Review sucked, you know what to do but if its AWESOME give it a Thanks. Thanks.

If you want to see more Benchmark, write in the comments and I will deliver.

Neoon

Thanked by 1willie

Comments

• Vortexnode seems to have outgrown itself way too fast for their support department to handle everything.

Hoping it's just some "growing pains" and they'll eventually stabilize, but 11 days is quite a long time to wait for a response on anything.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    Vortexnode seems to have outgrown itself way too fast for their support department to handle everything.

Hoping it's just some "growing pains" and they'll eventually stabilize, but 11 days is quite a long time to wait for a response on anything.

Well, It took them 11 Days to resolve it and let me know its not possible, but they did responded within 24 Hours at the first time.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited December 2016

@Neoon said:

Lets continue with Fusa, they offered the Following:

CPU: ATOM Dual Core 1.6Ghz

Memory: 1GB

Bandwidth: 250GB via 100Mbit

With 1x IPv4 and 1x IPv6, for 5EUR, paid yearly in advance.

D410 is single core with hyperthreading...

• @teamacc said:
    Vortexnode seems to have outgrown itself way too fast for their support department to handle everything.

Unfortunately, but its being sorted. We have several new techs starting with us on Monday and whilst support levels are back to normal now, this will an important phase of our growth.

Ref the failover IP, I'm aware of the ticket and the request. With the way the Atom blades are all configured, additional IPs are routed directly to the MAC address of the server, so VLAN'ing isn't so easy in this environment. But lessons have been taken from this and when we launch similar priced Atoms in Toronto next year, that will be a different situation. So please accept my apologies that it took as long as it did for a resolution. I've just added a $7.50 goodwill gesture credit to your account for this.

Regarding network issues, our monitoring hasn't reported any network instability. Do you have any gathered data on this that you can send over to us? We're keen to learn if there's issues.

Thanks for your continued business.

Thanked by 1Waldo19

@Gamma17 said:
    D410 is single core with hyperthreading...

Well seems like you are right, I looked up the Benchmark and seems like I did not read the Specs.

Also since I got 2gig instead 1gig and 750GB instead of 250GB, I was a bit Distracted.

Well its sensitive, 10 Second Checks with 1.5 Seconds Timeout, 2x Additional external checks.

I can drop you the Dates when It happend.

• @Neoon said:

Well its sensitive, 10 Second Checks with 1.5 Seconds Timeout, 2x Additional external checks.

I can drop you the Dates when It happend.

If you have dates and timestamps, that'd be really useful.

Thanks.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited December 2016

@Neoon said:

Well seems like you are right, I looked up the Benchmark and seems like I did not read the Specs.

Also since I got 2gig instead 1gig and 750GB instead of 250GB, I was a bit Distracted.

This server is still awesome for the price, especially with 2 HDD-s.
    It is just what i did not like in Fusa's offers and why i did not buy any of them - no exact hardware specs (like, "AMD dual-core CPU", what is that supposed to mean? AMD has so many so different dual core CPU-s that it is like just writing "CPU" in specs.), they admit that hardware is a bit random (like that additional ram and hdd) and require yearly commitment. Looks really, really alarming to me... and single core CPU instead of dual core here just confirms that whole thing works like a lottery - you pay some money and get some random hardware...

• But lessons have been taken from this and when we launch similar priced Atoms in Toronto next year, that will be a different situation.

Interesting. Any eta on when next year you'll start offering these? Looking to get something CA/US based as I just dropped a delimiter atom.

• you didn't geekbench yet!!! please do when you have time. thanks

@ehab said:
    you didn't geekbench yet!!! please do when you have time. thanks

But why?

I did I/O bench, Network Bench and know the CPU Bench, why do a geekbench?

• yes i can lookup the cpu bench but with that makes your review complete. wouldn't it.