Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

zoho email vs mxroute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

zoho email vs mxroute

Hi,

I have small volume email needs for 2-3 new domains. A few web-mail here and there, and a few auotmated (via smtp) emails for account verification, notification, etc.

I have experience with zoho for this, and they seem to work pretty well. Any thoughts on mxroute vs zoho in terms of mail deliverability?

-Adam

Comments

• I am using zoho from last 2 years and they seems working fine but yeah some times it takes time to deliver your email and as we have noticed they get major upgrade/downtime twice in a year.

• Can't remember why I quit using ZOHO. I do like mxroute, but haven't used it a lot. Mostly, I'm just another @jarland fanboi. Nice thing about mxroute, is you've got someone knowledgeable to talk to if any deliverability issues do arise.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • alown said: is you've got someone knowledgeable to talk to if any deliverability issues do arise.

You mean use LET as a support ticket?

• AdamM said: You mean use LET as a support ticket?

That is only for non-paying knowledge leeches :D

• Both are nice options. MXRoute is notable for using MailChannels to send outbound emails, which gives them great deliverability. I don't get much spam, so can't judge their spam filters. It's just simple email, and it works really well.

Zoho Mail's got all those fancy features (email gateway whitelisting, 2FA, etc), and Zoho itself includes a whole suite of stuff that you can use in addition to Mail. Some people aren't happy about data subjecting to Indian jurisdiction, including me, but otherwise it's a decent alternative to Google Apps.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • I've used both. Virtually indistinguishable when you're using third party clients to just send and receive emails.

• just signed up for mxroute, hope it goes well.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • mxroute

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Currently using both.

MXRoute has been very reliable with sending and receiving. Quick to resolve any attacks/server issues.

Zoho (free) can be a hit or miss. Experience many delays with receiving emails, but luckily has gotten better.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • MXRoute is run by one of the most handsome gentlemen I know.

I personally use Pobox/Fastmail though, and have for years. Love it.

Never used Zoho.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

erisrenee said: MXRoute is run by one of the most handsome gentlemen I know

Paid shill, obviously an alt account for @jarland. <3

AdamM said: just signed up for mxroute, hope it goes well.

Glad to have you on board! There are many possible things in the pipeline to improve the service as well. Right now we've been on a great path of exponential growth and more consistent uptime. You'll usually see me alternate between working on improvements to appearance/features and reliability. I've been on a reliability kick for a while now, automating mitigation for various issues, etc.

• @jarland said:
    Glad to have you on board! There are many possible things in the pipeline to improve the service as well. Right now we've been on a great path of exponential growth and more consistent up time.

Thanks. Just setup my first domain with no issues and first test emails with no issues. For me reliability is much more important than features and appearance. I just need core email to work, nothing fancy. Good stuff :)

• @jarland do you use DO to host MXroute?

• @AdamM said:
    @jarland do you use DO to host MXroute?

It should be all Incero.

• when i send email from standar cpanel (from shared hosting) and from mail() php function to my zoho inbox, i got no email delivered to my inbox.

is the reason i leave zoho to mxroute.

• @abangnoob said:
    when i send email from standar cpanel (from shared hosting) and from mail() php function to my zoho inbox, i got no email delivered to my inbox.

is the reason i leave zoho to mxroute.

Ok i understand why you left but that's dumb reason to leave a email host

there is a big list of things that could have been the reason for that

on both side SH side an Zoho's

• +1 for MXroute. Been using it for couple of months now, remarkable service.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • I use yandex.domain + zoho on my minor projects.

https://domain.yandex.com/domains_add/

Free, and works quite fast.

• I'm using mxroute for a small business and it's working like a charm. I tried zoho at some point but encountered delivery issues.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @AdamM, you can probably do away with a GAPPS account that many offer here, for a one time fee it isn't a bad deal, and nothing beat MS/Google on email front.

Another free option is Yandex, been using it for 3 years for different clients without fail.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2016

I think much better to host your own solution, example: zentyal.org project (similar to Microsoft Exchange)

• I've been using MXroute for more than 2 years and it works great. Issues arise here and there once in a while but @jarland is pretty responsive to solve them. Recommended.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Have been using MXRoute, but switching out to a VPS with MailChannels in the future.

• @Dean said:
    Have been using MXRoute, but switching out to a VPS with MailChannels in the future.

What would be the benifit of this, as it seems like this is what MxRoute does in the backend, no?

• LayerLayer Member
    edited December 2016

@AdamM probably cPanel?

Any shared hosting provider can get mailchannels and be another mxroute. Doesn't make sense to use such email provider.

Better to setup your own and be safe

• @Layer said:
    Any shared hosting provider can get mailchannels and be another mxroute. Doesn't make sense to use such email provider.

Do most shared hosting use mailchannels or something similar? Are you suggesting that the email (reliability/features) of mxroute is the same as any given shared host?

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

AdamM said: Do most shared hosting use mailchannels or something similar? Are you suggesting that the email (reliability/features) of mxroute is the same as any given shared host?

No, most don't use Mailchannels, but all could use it if they wanted....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

@Layer said:
    @AdamM probably cPanel?

Better to setup your own and be safe

Yep. Feel fee to go find one that does, that allows high sending rates, has solid uptime, comparable prices, works hard on customizing filters to address spam trends, and doesn't have significant performance issues due to overcommitment of resources (they won't at first, give them a couple years of selling it).

I'll wait :)

Shared hosting companies do not have an email focus, and if you think that doesn't matter then one of these is true:

1. Email just isn't that important for you.
    2. You haven't tried to use shared hosting as a replacement for email-specific hosting.

If email isn't that important to you, it certainly wouldn't be of high benefit for you to purchase your own MailChannels subscription, but then it also might not be important for you to pay for email hosting at all, meaning it really isn't relevant to you.

I'd say you'd be lucky to find a shared hosting company that even monitors its exim queue, especially if they subscribe to MailChannels expecting it to handle their outgoing filter. Suddenly one user gets compromised and there's 300,000 emails in the queue, and your email is stuck for hours. Just one of many situations that you don't predict, but I've seen first hand. Having someone who gives a shit about your email is not exactly something you can just swap out with someone who doesn't and expect the same level of service. I know, that's why I made mxroute. At the time, I was working at a major shared hosting company.

Talk is easy and cheap.

• LayerLayer Member
    edited December 2016

@AdamM said:
    Do most shared hosting use mailchannels or something similar? Are you suggesting that the email (reliability/features) of mxroute is the same as any given shared host?

>

Yes, now mostly all shared hosting providers are using mailchannels to prevent outgoing spam and keeping ips clean in blacklists.

Here you can find a small list of shared hosting providers who are using mailchannels

https://www.mailchannels.com/customers/

But there are tons of providers, they just don't mention that they are using mailchannels

Anyone can easily install cpanel even without knowledge in servers as well as setting up mailchannels.

Thanked by 1vimalware