Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN - How Fast Should I expect it to be?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN - How Fast Should I expect it to be?

nunimnunim Member
edited July 2012 in General

I'm wondering what kind of speeds I should be expecting out of OpenVPN as I'm currently getting:

100KB/s download from UK - OpenVPN AS - average 122ms latency - 100mb/s port
350KB/s download from ATL - OpenVPN Debian - average 38ms latency - 1gb/s port

I usually get 500KB/s from the UK and 1.5MB/s from ATL on a single http connection.

I have 20/4 and when I was reading about OpenVPN speeds most people seem to be able to get at least 1/2 their speeds from a low latency vpn.

Client & Server have low load during dowloads and plenty of memory available.

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012
    1. How fast is your server's connection to other sources (e.g. Google)
    2. How fast is your own internet connection
    3. How fast is your connection to your server

Either way obviously its going to be slower, the data has to travel further than before (and the return trip is just as long). I wouldn't expect it to be your own internet speed.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2012

I answered nearly all those questions in the OP.

1. Fast, 100mb/s in the UK (11MB/s to cachefly), 1GB/s at ATL (65MB/s to cachefly).
    2. I have 20/4, I get find connections to my servers without using OpenVPN, ATL usually maxes out my connection and the UK gives me approx 500Kb/s.
    3. As fast as my internet connection?
    4. LZO compression is enabled

I am only getting like an 8th of my internet connection from my geologically close, low latency Atlanta VPS.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited July 2012

1) encryption overhead in transmission packet reduces speed.
    2)encrypting/decrypting packet consumes CPU power, low end vps with low CPU cores affects your speed as well.

Solution:

1) turn off encryption
    2) get high end vps, or don't run it from a vps.
    3) experiment with mtu.

• nunimnunim Member

@cosmicgate said: 1) encryption overhead in transmission packet reduces speed.

2)encrypting/decrypting packet consumes CPU power, low end vps with low CPU cores affects your speed as well.

Understandable, but I don't see OpenVPN using much CPU on the client or the server, both have plenty to spare. Will look into playing with MTU I guess.

• blackblack Member

Post your server.conf

• krokro Member

^ OpenVPN conf would be best place to start looking

• bakoubakou Member

I have come across this issue. big issue: logging
    protip: lower your verbosity to 0 to stop I/O to the logs on each packet or at random times. This should speed up the VPN a lot
    also use UDP and setup fragment and mssfix correctly. I think a value around like 1420 works well. Your ISP may be throttling you, find a port/protocol that is not throttled. If you have any kind of throttling you may want to try to use the HTTPS port with TCP or something like that to trick your ISP into thinking you are connecting to a webpage.. but honestly I think UDP is much more ideal for keeping latency low.

• FreekFreek Member

I never had this issue before, speeds are fine on all VPNs I've setup so far on all my VPSes. I just followed the default setup guide on Linode.
    However, I do have issues loading certain pages such as LifeHacker, Twitter etc. Seems to be a mtu issue, but haven't been able to solve it.

• InglarInglar Member

I have speed around 15-20 Mbit/sec maximum over my VPN connection, but using KVM VPS and L2TP/IPSec. Also, never used OpenVPN, I don't like it for some reason :)

• blackblack Member

@Freek - I went through the tutorial from Linode (http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn/debian-6-squeeze). At first I thought wow huge speed boost, then come to find out, it didn't even go through the proxy even though openvpn's GUI on the client side said it was connected. I used cmyip.com to check this.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2012

@bakou said: I have come across this issue. big issue: logging

protip: lower your verbosity to 0 to stop I/O to the logs on each packet or at random times. This should speed up the VPN a lot

Tried it, doesn't seem to help.

OpenVPN Server .conf:

dev tun
    server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
    ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
    ca ca.crt
    cert server.crt
    key server.key
    dh dh1024.pem
    verb 0
    push "route 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0"
    push "redirect-gateway"
    comp-lzo
    keepalive 10 60
    ping-timer-rem
    persist-tun
    persist-key
    group daemon
    daemon

• FreekFreek Member

@Black That's odd, I never had the issue you are describing. After following the tutorial on Linode, my IP changed to the IP of my VPS/VPN, so it's working for me.