Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Setup script for Debian 6 VPS - Nginx, MySQL, IPtables, etc..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Setup script for Debian 6 VPS - Nginx, MySQL, IPtables, etc..

XeoncrossXeoncross Member
edited July 2012 in Tutorials

A couple years ago LEA created a debian install script that helped to setup a web server while removing most of the unneeded bloat.

However, the script was missing a firewall (like IPTables), used php-cgi instead of php-fpm and generally lacked some other features. Later that year, people started forking the project and adding new features and improvements.

There are two main branches at this point, sk33lz and mine. Both serve to handle server setup for you making it much easier to get going with your new VPS.

For example, here is the full process I use to setup a new VPS with my lowendscript.

# After login as root...

# Create a new user
adduser demo

# Add demo to the sudo group
usermod -a -G sudo demo

# Check that he does
groups demo 

# (from your PC) Copy your ssh-key to the server
ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub [email protected]

# Install git so we can install our server
apt-get install git

# Download the script
git clone git://github.com/Xeoncross/lowendscript.git /root/git/

# Setup locals
dpkg-reconfigure locales

# Run it
cd /root/git
./setup-debian.sh dotdeb
./setup-debian.sh system
./setup-debian.sh dropbear 22
./setup-debian.sh iptables 22
./setup-debian.sh nginx
./setup-debian.sh php
./setup-debian.sh mysql

# Now create a site
./setup-debian.sh site example.com

After you have finished this you will have PHP, Nginx, MySQL (with InnoDB disabled), IPtables, dropbear (SSH), all setup, configured, and working. You can also create new sites and matching MySQL accounts quickly.

./setup-debian.sh site othersite.com
./setup-debian.sh mysqluser othersite.com

Those two commands will create the directories in /var/www/, nginx configs, test page, and mysql user so you can get back to developing.

Comments

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited July 2012

just another nice thread/script from xeoncross.. :D

i'll try this script in my KVM box and report back to you if i found some problem..

but, i'm wondering can this script use for OVZ too?

• @Mon5t3r, I built it for my OpenVZ box so it should work fine. In fact, I would be interested in whether it works right for your KVM.

• Nice work!

• Will it work for Ubuntu aswell?
    I tried a Debian 6 script before, but it didn't allow me to continue(it says your OS is not supported).
    Will be interested to know.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2012

I don't think so.

Most people use ubuntu because that is the first OS they start using linux on. ubuntu has a great deskop OS and is actually built on-top of Debian. Since a VPS doesn't need a GUI (or most of the applications that make ubuntu useful), there is no reason to use it when Debian has a much longer track-record of solid performance.

Basically, use Debian for servers and ubuntu for your desktop.

A minimal Debian install only uses 6MB of RAM while ubuntu uses a whole lot more.

Thanked by 3yomero TheHackBox tux
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Xeoncross said: A minimal Debian install only uses 6MB of RAM while ubuntu uses a whole lot more.

Well of course a minimal install of one uses more than a regular install of another ;)

• Ubuntu only uses a lot because of extra services like upstart.

• @jarland I meant a minimal Debian 32bit vs minimal ubuntu 32bit install.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Xeoncross said: I meant a minimal Debian 32bit vs minimal ubuntu 32bit install.

Oh, well mine only uses 3mb so I'm confused but oh well ;)

Adapting for Ubuntu wouldn't be difficult though. Could try it first, might not even have to be.

• PatsPats Member

any stats on memory consumption after all install?

• rev3rserev3rse Member
    edited July 2012

@Xeoncross said: I don't think so.

Most people use ubuntu because that is the first OS they start using linux on. ubuntu has a great deskop OS and is actually built on-top of Debian. Since a VPS doesn't need a GUI (or most of the applications that make ubuntu useful), there is no reason to use it when Debian has a much longer track-record of solid performance.

Basically, use Debian for servers and ubuntu for your desktop.

A minimal Debian install only uses 6MB of RAM while ubuntu uses a whole lot more.

the reason I'm using Ubuntu is because I(think) it has newer packages.
    anyway, I tried it few minutes ago, it works like charm! I ran System, Nginx, PHP and MySQL. it all works!

But, the memory use is little bit high(55MB of RAM). When I done this manually I used 22~26MB, with same configuration. Do you have any idea why using more ram? even though I'm using the same configurations and less software running?

And finally, your script is really helpful, thanks for sharing it. it just got rid of some mailing software that I don't really care about. and I'm definitely using it(the script) again.

edited July 2012

@rev3rse, the majority of the memory goes to PHP-FPM and MySQL. You can change /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf.

pm.max_children = 1
    pm.start_servers = 1
    pm.max_spare_servers = 1

Check free -m or htop then stop each process to see.

$ /etc/init.d/php5-fpm stop
    $ htop
    $ /etc/init.d/mysql stop
    $ htop
    $ /etc/init.d/nginx stop
    $ htop

You can tweak each apps settings to your liking, the default settings try to give PHP and MySQL enough memory to perform decent.

• so it`s only for openvz?

• @rev3rse said: the reason I'm using Ubuntu is because I(think) it has newer packages.

You don't have to use the stable packages in Debian, you can add the unstable (latest release) deb.

• If Ubuntu has newer packages it's because they basically fork Debian unstable every 6 months. I read a statistic that about 89% of the packages in Ubuntu come straight from Debian, about 7% from other upstream repos, and then other random stuff thrown in. Obviously this is mostly desktop user stuff, since that's Canonical's target audience.

The entire point of Debian Stable is to not be on the bleeding edge. If that's where you want to be, just change apt repos, and just by changing a few lines you can be ahead of Ubuntu's default packages too.

On a completely different note, it'd be cool to see a version of this that uses lighttpd instead of nginx.

• yomeroyomero Member

@rev3rse said: the reason I'm using Ubuntu is because I(think) it has newer packages.

Also the LNMP stack has third party repositories, see dotdeb.

• @Xeoncross said: I built it for my OpenVZ box so it should work fine. In fact, I would be interested in whether it works right for your KVM.

i'll do it today.. sorry :D i'll post a result + some test here later. any idea what kind of script for testing nginx server? does "ab" command should work for nginx aswell?

• @Mon5t3r said: does "ab" command should work for nginx aswell?

Yes.

• One of those scripts install "PHP Fast CGI" the other "PHP-FPM (v5.3+ with APC installed and configured)"
    what is 'better' / the difference?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited August 2012

I'd personally choose php-fpm since it is dedicated service to manage php scripts. It is memory wise also.
    http://php-fpm.org/about/

• @bamnael, "PHP FastCGI" was the name given to all the custom bash wrappers that ran the php-cgi binary. Anyway, the modern way is to use the php-fpm wrapper which is many times more stable, optimized, and efficient.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Getting this error: invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/php5-fpm not found.

Whole installog for php installer: http://pastebin.com/Hk1Mtwwg
    What I installed: dotdeb -> mysql -> nginx -> php. I did not run the other installers.

edited August 2012

You have to run the commands in order. In your case, perhaps the package php5-fpm wasn't at the correct version because you had not run the system sources update.

However, the log seems to state it was installed correctly - so perhaps the location of the init script is somewhere else. What version of linux are you using?

Note, you only really have to run the following, the rest are optional:

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.github.com/Xeoncross/lowendscript/master/setup-debian.sh
    $ ./setup-debian.sh dotdeb
    $ ./setup-debian.sh system

• Oh found the problem; didn't do apt-get update/upgrade after adding the other repos.
    Did it and now php5-fpm is found there and got installed.
    Maybe in your script you should add apt-get update/upgrade in the dotdeb part of the installer.
    I for example did not run your system part of the script because I didn't want to uninstall/install the stuff your script wants to and then there is no update.

• in case someone unable to run the script,

set this:
    chmod +x setup-debian.sh

• @bamnael said: Maybe in your script you should add apt-get update/upgrade in the dotdeb part of the installer.

Good suggestion, I'll do that since it won't hurt even if it's run twice.

• fresher_06fresher_06 Member
    edited August 2012

While creating the mysqluser using the below command --

./setup-debian.sh mysqluser mysite.com

I am getting the error as --

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    MySQL Username: mysite
    MySQL Password: NzQ1NzA2ZjcxY
    MySQL Database: mysite

Please note I already have a root mysql user created .. what should I do now.. to add a new mysqluser using this script.

• Got it sorted ..
    By default the script reads the mysql root user from the file "~root/.my.cnf" .. since I have change the root password but didn't changed in this file, thats the reason was getting the above error.
    So if anone of you just changed their mysql root passwd .. the make changes in ~root/.my.cnf as well..

Happy days :)

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • AsimAsim Member

@Xeoncross said: dropbear (SSH)

Can we have this as an option? I dont like replacing openssh with dropbear

• Simply do not run setup-debian.sh dropbear...