Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gotta love slow internet on vacation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gotta love slow internet on vacation

FreekFreek Member
edited July 2012 in General

I'm currently on vacation and bought myself an access card to connect to the wireless internet. I rather wish I didn't:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2077958170.png
You can ignore the ISP, I am behind my own VPN. Don't feel like entering (unsecured) passwords trough this crappy connection.
Worst thing of all is that it cost me 55 euros for 14 days and they don't give refunds. There's no way to check beforehand if it works properly, apart from the signal strength, which is excellent by the way.
I miss my 'fast' 12Mbit DSL line.

Comments

• Why not get a local SIM card and tether?

• AsadAsad Member

Wow, that sucks. Did they not have a 24 hour access? 55 Euros is a lot.

• kendidkendid Veteran

Went on a cruise last year - middle of the Atlantic there wasn't a lot of choices. They charged by the minute on the cruise ships, took about 10 minutes to download a couple email messages (with disconnections and all)

• tehdantehdan Member

Have you tried a speed test when not using the VPN? often 'unknown' services (ie non-http) and/or long-lived connections are given a lower priority or all but blocked to prevent you doing any sneaky downloading of illegal content. If that doesn't help I'd assume its contention and you might get better speeds at different times of day/night...

Always a good idea to try these things for an hour or so before shelling out for the long term :)

• @Freek said: I miss my 'fast' 12Mbit DSL line.

:D

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Unlucky. At least you have some form of internet connectivity. 55 euros for that speed is depressing though.

• maybe ssh tunneling with data compression ? and opera with opera turbo enabled :p

or ssh tunneling with data compression and browsing through Ziproxy :p

network speed will remain as it, but browsing time can be lower

• FreekFreek Member
    edited July 2012

@MrLawoodle said: Why not get a local SIM card and tether?

Yeah, I totally forgot about that option, else I surely would have done that. I just checked; It would cost me about 25 euros for a prepaid SIM with 5GB of data for 1 month on HDSPA speeds.. bummer.
    Needless to say, I learned my lesson!

@AsadHaider said: Wow, that sucks. Did they not have a 24 hour access? 55 Euros is a lot.

I am sorry, I don't quite understand your question?

@kendid said: Went on a cruise last year - middle of the Atlantic there wasn't a lot of choices. They charged by the minute on the cruise ships, took about 10 minutes to download a couple email messages (with disconnections and all)

I don't have any disconnections but I do have a packetloss of 1 out of 4. Yay!

@tehdan said: Have you tried a speed test when not using the VPN? often 'unknown' services (ie non-http) and/or long-lived connections are given a lower priority or all but blocked to prevent you doing any sneaky downloading of illegal content. If that doesn't help I'd assume its contention and you might get better speeds at different times of day/night...

Always a good idea to try these things for an hour or so before shelling out for the long term :)

With or without VPN, it's slow as hell :(
    True, I also hesitated at the beginning, but the price for 1 day was something like 9.50 euros. Almost a fifth of the price for 14 days.

Jesus Christ, how can you live with that!

@AstoundingHost said: Unlucky. At least you have some form of internet connectivity. 55 euros for that speed is depressing though.

It reminds me of the good old 56k days!

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2012

If it's local, go down and make an ass of yourself until they either improve the connection or reimburse you. If it's remote, call up their customer support and do the same thing.

While there may be "no refunds" listed, in most countries if the service/product isn't up to par or as advertised, that's grounds for a refund.

• @Freek said: Jesus Christ, how can you live with that!

hahahaha yeah i keep wondering until now..

• AsadAsad Member

@Freek said: I am sorry, I don't quite understand your question?

I meant did they not sell 24 hour access for a much cheaper (but still pretty expensive) price? Could have used that to test it out before committing to 14 days.

I suppose it's better than nothing, when I go away the internet in hotels never works and the 3g with my phone is overpriced crap.

• lol my CDMA 3G is faster than that.

• Brute force your way into the admin panel, and knock everybody else off.

• @eastonch said: Brute force your way into the admin panel, and knock everybody else off.

Probably not accessible from within the network.

• Wow, that speed is awful! I would have expected 1mbps, but 0.17mbps?

• FreekFreek Member

@telephone said: If it's local, go down and make an ass of yourself until they either improve the connection or reimburse you. If it's remote, call up their customer support and do the same thing.

While there may be "no refunds" listed, in most countries if the service/product isn't up to par or as advertised, that's grounds for a refund.

The folder explicitly lists that the counter/reception does not give any support. That's the most used line in the whole frigging booklet. There's indeed a remote support, which I am emailing with. I won't call them because roaming rates are ridiculous.
    So far the chap told me that 'It's currently very busy' and that 'The signal might be poor due to the steel roofs'. The first is true, it's busy, but the network should be calculated on heavy usage if you ask me. Don't expect a 20Mbit DSL line to run this whole facility.
    The latter is bullshit. I have an external wifi card with a 11 dBi antenna and my signal strength is 85%.
    I will be staying for 2 weeks so I have 2 weeks left to get any form of compensation.

@AsadHaider said: I meant did they not sell 24 hour access for a much cheaper (but still pretty expensive) price? Could have used that to test it out before committing to 14 days.

I suppose it's better than nothing, when I go away the internet in hotels never works and the 3g with my phone is overpriced crap.

True, they did offer 24 hour access for something like 9.50 euros. I did the math back then and figured out it would be better to take the jump to the 14 days immediately instead. Now I regret it. Lesson learned ;)
    I know 1 hotel in The Netherlands where the internet is excellent, because I installed it myself there ;) Every laptop has fixed amount of bandwidth it''s allowed to use and VOIP traffic is prioritized, since it's a hotel for business people (video conferences etc).. Gotta love Draytek routers.

@eastonch said: Brute force your way into the admin panel, and knock everybody else off.

I tried using the 'WifiKill' for android app but it doesn't seem to be working. At least it doesn't have enough impact. all 253 available IPs on my subnet are used, so I suppose there are more subnets which I can't access because my IP is not in that subnet.

@MrLawoodle said: Probably not accessible from within the network.

As a matter of fact, it is! I was surprised as well! I tried the obvious combo's (admin/admin, admin/password, user/user. administrator/password) but sadly no go.
    The used equipment is a ZyXEL N4100 Wireless N HotSpot Gateway. The Wireless N is bullshit since the antenna's used on the pole are just 802.11b. I also get the strong feeling they use wireless repeaters instead of cables between poles, so at the end of the facility you will have a very high ping, great rate of packetloss and slow transferrate.

• FreekFreek Member

Usually, no, because I also have a 20Mbit line ;) However, now, yes very much!

Since I am here, I figured out to play around with the network a little bit. Currently, I am trying to setup Iodine to bypass any payment terminals I might encounter on future holidays but I am stuck at the final part. I will open up a separate topic to avoid going off topic here ;)

• Who cares about speed....

if [ -n "$vacation" ]; then
      unset internet
    fi

I'll be back.... ;)

• JTRJTR Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • aubsaubs Member
    edited July 2012

@JTR said: No, are YOU jealous? :P

These are from home...

This is to your server (4000+mi away)

And this is to one local server to me in the UK

• @aubs:

Also, its only on the internet where 150 miles away is considered "Local"

• My Ping is still better. :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

regardless, if I was on vacation, I wouldn't be on the internet. :P I'd want to be on vacation

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • edited July 2012

:D

Cant see the image but i think i know how "fast" it is ( already suffered the same speed)
    but recently,my local ISP was kind enough to give me
    !(http://www.speedtest.net/result/2074717377.png)

even when i am out of balance

the only problem is sometimes i cant browse to some https
    maybe it was me for being too lazy for configuring secured Gapproxy

• aubsaubs Member

@Jeffrey said: My Ping is still better. :P

Yea, ok. ;)

• JTRJTR Member

@aubs said: These are from home...

This is to your server (4000+mi away)

And this is to one local server to me in the UK

No, that's my home speedtest.

Want a server speedtest? OKAY!

• dang @dmmcintyre3 I thought you were rich!

• dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
    edited July 2012