Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who uses Zimbra as a mail server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who uses Zimbra as a mail server?

dantesdantes Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hey,

I'm looking for a mail server with awesome web interface. I like Zimbra's web interface the most.

From your experience, is it really that resource intensive as it described? Which minimal hardware will you take for it?

Thanks.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

Zimbra is the best!! I've not found any other linux alternatives which are better than it.

Best to run it on a dedicated machine with 3 to 4GB of RAM. It won't work on OpenVZ based servers due to Java memory issues or something, not tried it on any other virtualization platform.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

The lowest RAM I was able to run it on without issues for less than 5 users was 2GB (on a Xen HVM server) although you can disable a lot of features and get it down to 1-1.5GB but then you'd be better off running Horde or Roundcube instead.

• It basically looks like a bloated Horde.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

+1 for Horde, or Roundcube (just for mail). Zimbra eats RAM imho... Have you looked at Zarafa?

• may be you can try iRedMail :D

• I actually gave Citadel a go, but its IMAP implementation does not work in most email clients (it does not follow the standard).

So it was a no-no.

• AsadAsad Member

@deregen said: may be you can try iRedMail :D

The open source features suck, you have to pay to get almost basic functionality!
    http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

• You could probably get away with Axigen's free mail server I've managed to run it on a 512MB OpenVZ without any issues, with roughly 5000 emails coming in daily to be piped through a catch-all email address.

It wasn't the most elegant setup by any means, but it worked!