Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for General/usability feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for General/usability feedback

edited July 2012 in General

Hi all. We've launched a new site at http://www.daddycheese.com

We're looking for some general and usability feedback. We're grown ups so please feed back whatever you can. Even if you say it smells like fish, we won't cry.. much :)

Comments

• Nice design. Shame its hosted with a shitty isp tho :(

• @DanielM said: Nice design. Shame its hosted with a shitty isp tho :(

You've had issues with the host?

• pcanpcan Member

TOS and AUP are difficult to read, the all-caps style is not suited to long documents; maybe you can provide a "printer friendly" link to click. I haven't found the usual "contact us" link. Some broken links, for example when you are in the news page and click on "home". A nice design overall.

• @ShardHost said: You've had issues with the host?

Yeh. And have you actualy seen there network? aswell as BGP info

• The part where it says "The best value game servers from DaddyCheese!" is VERY hard to read.

• DamianDamian Member
    We're sorry, your request was blocked by PacketSure. 

Please contact your System Administrator.

• TazTaz Member

Nice site. Reminds me of uncle sam. How ever, those fonts are too thick.

• There is a broken link to https://my.daddycheese.comsupporttickets.php/

• Thanks for the comments, thats the kind of feedback we were looking for. We'll try and get some of the visual aspects rectified.

Fixed, thanks

• The color scheme and that cheese guy on the website makes it seem more U.S patriotic website, but you are based in the UK.

• @Insidiea said: The color scheme and that cheese guy on the website makes it seem more U.S patriotic website, but you are based in the UK.

We were looking for a Retro theme with some hints from 50's American Diners.

• edited July 2012

@MrLawoodle said: The part where it says "The best value game servers from DaddyCheese!" is VERY hard to read.

Was it more the font or the colour that was hard to read?

@pcan said: TOS and AUP are difficult to read, the all-caps style is not suited to long documents; maybe you can provide a "printer friendly" link to click. I haven't found the usual "contact us" link. Some broken links, for example when you are in the news page and click on "home". A nice design overall.

Link fixed, thanks. We'll look at changing the styling on these pages, maybe reversing the heading and body font faces

• @ShardHost said: Was it more the font or the colour that was hard to read?

The colour.

• @ShardHost said: Was it more the font or the colour that was hard to read?

I think it's more of the text-shadow on the text; I think if you played around with that a little, you could make it a bit more readable.

Aside from that, I really like it. A great improvement from your last site.

• JacobJacob Member

I Like It!, There is a diner like 1 Hour away from me, On the way to wales "Ok Diner" If anyone has heard of it, They have the exact same colour layouts and it's a pretty amazing place.

They have classic american milkshake shakers, and a full english breakfast...

Your making me hungry.

@ShardHost said: We were looking for a Retro theme with some hints from 50's American Diners.

• Text is easy to read as long as you view it in a modern browser.

• Where's the cheese?

• @HalfEatenPie said: Where's the cheese?

Free Cheese with every order**

** Subject to availability, current availability = 0, expected availability 20/07/2034

• @ShardHost said: ** Subject to availability, current availability = 0, expected availability 20/07/2034

The fine prints!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Looks like fine and readable. only problem I have with this font:
    DaddyCheese Hosting is a trading name of Shard Hosting Solutions Ltd. Registered in England & Wales No. 07679837
    It is hard to read, had to do it slowly.
    M

• @ShardHost
    Just a few problems I have with this; mainly the font choices.

The entire head is hard to read, when you're flicking through it fast, the "background" or "3D" effect really confuzzles me personally.

Same with

But this text is perfectly fine.

The "Quote" section, has a good font, but the naming and location took me about 12 seconds to work out what it read, I still don't get his username... Maybe change the font on that to something more legible for current english readers and people who's first language isnt english! ;']!

This is absolutely brilliant!

Double spacing on the twitter feed? image

Same problem with font here, but not as bad.

This text looks like russian air flight signals from DayZ.

Suggestion, where it says "Price per Month" or "Price per Year" How about, "Yearly" and "Monthly", depends, you may find too much "open" space if you reduce the text.

I still can't get over this red/blue text, maybe I just can't see blue correctly with these glasses, but it's almost an eye strain to read it.

Heading on http://www.daddycheese.com/minecrafteu.php
    "Minecraft EU Servers"
    Should match the previous page's text...
    "EU Minecraft Servers"
    Just niggled me.

Font for Legal things, are fine, apart from bold text is a little over powering, maybe tone it down, go for something that can be read on that background fine.

I love this part of the website!
    image But some grammar correction needs to be made, missing periods etc.

Future thoughts?
    Get a custom theme for SolusVM done, Multicraft already has a really nice one made. But I do think even on the main page of Multicraft, you should have another headding for "Support" for a ticket creation url.

Thanks for reading mate, hope it all works out for you ^^!

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • flyfly Member

it would be great if you could get rid of the shadow on text. it makes it that much harder to read.

• @kbar I feel the same; however i feeel the website may become a little bit dull without some form of text effects.

• flyfly Member

readability > text effects

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

http://www.daddycheese.com/aup.php

FOR EXAMPLE OUR ENTERPRISE PLAN COMES WITH 40GB BANDWIDTH WHICH IS A HUGE AMOUNT,

https://www.google.nl/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=nl&biw=1920&bih=989&site=webhp&source=hp&q=FOR+EXAMPLE+OUR+ENTERPRISE+PLAN+COMES+WITH+40GB+BANDWIDTH+WHICH+IS+A+HUGE+AMOUNT,&btnK=Google+zoeken

This is not good, guys. You seem to have copypasted an AUP without even reading it over completely yourself. You don't even have a 40GB bandwidth plan.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • flyfly Member

@joepie91 said: This is not good, guys. You seem to have copypasted an AUP without even reading it over completely yourself. You don't even have a 40GB bandwidth plan.

mfw

• @joepie91 said: This is not good, guys. You seem to have copypasted an AUP without even reading it over completely yourself. You don't even have a 40GB bandwidth plan.

It was an AUP that we actually purchased as part of an old website template we used a while back. It was copy/pasted and edited, it seems some remnants remain. Thanks

@eastonch said: Future thoughts?

Get a custom theme for SolusVM done, Multicraft already has a really nice one made. But I do think even on the main page of Multicraft, you should have another headding for "Support" for a ticket creation url.

We have a custom Solus Theme for Shard which launches soon. When Shard Launches VPS will be removed from this website.

As for the other feedback thanks.

We're going to leave any major (non functional changes) for a week until all collated and then look at how best to take them on board. We do appreciate the feedback.

• PADPAD Member

Actually they're all just copy pasting Yahoo. I've searched over 50 lines of your AUP and it's all copy paste.

• edited July 2012

@PAD said: Actually they're all just copy pasting Yahoo. I've searched over 50 lines of your AUP and it's all copy paste.

We're in no way denying that. Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your dedication to helping us

AUP changes will be our priority.

• pcanpcan Member

@PAD: If you ever had to sort some legal matters with a lawyer, you will find that a vast mayority of legal documents are actually some sort of copy and paste. If you use Google, you will find dozens of almost identical AUP's, but this not because people are lazy. I once proposed to a company lawyer to rewrite a section of a contract because it was almost impossible to understand by regular people. It looked at me the same way you look at a small kid and explained that contracts are not meant to be read by regular people. They are meant to be forgotten until a litigation arises. At that time, the lawyers will dissect the text and every cut&paste fragment is like a piece of code; the exact wording has been tried on previous litigations. Any modification is a dangerous proposition, because the "new" text could be "tested" again in court.
    So you now know why most AUP are cloned, and why I am glad not to be a lawyer :-)