Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High RAM Provider - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High RAM Provider

2»

Comments

• vdnetvdnet Member

That right there tells me you are using 742MB of actual RAM pages and have bursted to 3.3GB. So you would fit right in on our 3GB RAM server with SWAP. Right now running SAVE20 to save 20% off. If it doesn't work for you, I'll refund you.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited July 2012

@Cirium your peak ram usage since the last time your beancounters reset was 3304mb on that VPS, which isn't much more than 3gb RAM.

• PatsPats Member

@jarland said: DixHost can probably set you up with 1TB ram for $4.50

u sure? or u didn't have your coffee today.. :)

• Don't worry, he has pleaded. Generally not opposed to doing more than 4GB of ram, but there comes a point in which things need to move off of VPS's to dedicated servers to support the eventual I/O load and the eventual CPU load.

With that, we told him that the cost of his ram would go up from the normal price to the next tier pricing so that we can shift and move VPS's around and possibly his so that he can be more isolated with the amount of resources he is requesting and requiring.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • klikliklikli Member

As mentioned OVZ is the problem but anyway AWS EC2 with Spot Instance might be what you want. ~USD$20/mo for a 7.5GB cloud. (I used the current prices to estimate the monthly cost)

• biplabbiplab Member

@Cirium,

You can try this WHT offer. Note that I have no experience with them.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@AsadHaider said: RamNode custom plan? You probably won't find anything cheaper than $30.

Ha, nothing that cheap from us even.

OP - time for a shameless plug for our Minecraft brand - www.minecraftlayer.com. Out of your price range, but that's where I direct everyone who asks to run MC on our VPSs. You -can- run it on ours, but we don't advise it for various reasons.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Wait for IPXCore to roll out the configure it yourself, perhaps they will support ram as high as this.

It will, however, base price on that amount of ram would be $40 on our current pricing scheme for ram.

Additionally, after speaking with @jshinkle at length about other things: if he's not willing to increase ram arbitrarily, then there's probably a good reason. So not sure if we would want the business on one of our standard nodes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AsadHaider said: if you want something US based then how about the $35 Dual Opteron 2216 datashack server?

Tweaked that bad boy tonight. Never seen a Minecraft server run so smooth.

• Minecraft servers require the following.

RAM. Lots of it. I've seen as much as 128MB/player in some cases, depending on how stupid you configure everything.

CPU. Bukkit, to my knowledge only runs on two cores. One for the "main" processing, the other, for the "offloading" of some things, I don't know if they finished making it off-load terrain gen to the second core yet.

HDD IO. This is the speed that you're going to map gen. I reccomend SSD's or atleast a RAID0 HDD setup. Anything else, you find yourself with many users; lagging, le. feck. out.

Also, make sure that your MC Server is using a localhost MYSQL Server, as remote servers will slow everything down, that's if you plan on using MYSQL and not Flat-Files (Sometimes useful).

I would also look into using a Debian Distro and then using Minstall, after this just simply install java 7 and you're good to go, I wouldnt perhaps host your website & your MC server on the same server, that's just standard. Use IPXCore for their webhosting if you're going to want something cheap, but effective :']!

Hope i've somewhat helped, I'm full of cold and in a rush, so I dont doubt you not being able to make any sense of this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Wait, bukkit is using a second core? I've been out of this game too long, even a little bit handed off to a second core would be wonderful.

• PADPAD Member

Half of your problem is configuration, let me see your almost certainly terrible configuration. ;)

Thanked by 1jar

@jarland said: Wait, bukkit is using a second core? I've been out of this game too long, even a little bit handed off to a second core would be wonderful.

Yep. You can pass off garbage collection to other cores, for instance.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jarland it was using a second core; from about #800 I think? But only offloading some functions.

They were working on make it offload terrain generation to secondry core in 1500~ I think? However, servers would be consistently using only ~15% of the second core, without terrain offloading...

I've been out a while too;' need to catch up.

Thanked by 1jar
  • DamianDamian Member

@Nick_A said: ep. You can pass off garbage collection to other cores, for instance.

How can I force this to happen?

• luke_hluke_h Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian
    You can't. It does it automatically (normally).
    I also advise using craftbukkit++ as well, much better than the original bukkit but has broken some plugins which have been patched, I know for a fact that Citizens won't work on craftbukkit++

And for the love of god, don't use Spout.

• I think at 5gb you're likley to start pissing providers off with excessive I/O.

Its time for you to go dedicated.

• TazTaz Member

@Op for that much of ram, if you want to use vps, Ger a ssd powered one. Or get a dedicated.

• @NinjaHawk said: Or get a dedicated.

+1. I'd say you're better off just getting a cheap dedicated server.

@Damian said: How can I force this to happen?

I just make McMyAdmin do it :P

But you can find the right Java flags on the internet...somewhere...

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@Nick_A said: But you can find the right Java flags on the internet...somewhere...

Its somewhere in the vast universe that is known as "The Internet"

• exextaticexextatic Member
    edited July 2012

I'd recommend a dedicated minecraft host instead of a VPS (my host - Vert Hosting - offers them and so do a lot of other hosts).
    If you're running it on a VPS then try get a Xen or HVM VPS as they will perform a lot better.
    I also recommend using CraftBukkit++ as even though the RAM usage decrease is minimal, the CPU usage decrease is quite good.
    Make sure to use the latest version of the java runtime.
    Here is the java invocation I use (you can set the ParallelGCThreads to the amount of CPU cores you have):

java -d64 -server -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms256M -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=15 -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xnoclassgc -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "craftbukkit.jar" nogui