Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downtime - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Downtime

2»

Comments

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

They used to have a twitter feed in their client area, but I think they removed it.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Insidiea: I did not know that they are only a two-man-show. Indeed, the circumstances are awkward. And yes, I have that cheap $3,50 first month promo. Maybe I had wrong expectations and should better change to a more costly provider who has good procedures for such cases in place.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: They used to have a twitter feed in their client area, but I think they removed it.

If it is there or not, what good is it if they are down?

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

I think that is a bit unrealistic. You traded something for a lower price to have a LEB, what is it you are willing to trade for that lower price since it sounds like service/support is not on your list.

• @miTgiB said: If it is there or not, what good is it if they are down?

For me personally, nothing, but for people like @gsrdgrdghd The latest tweets would be loaded on the client area so he doesn't have the extra work of going to twitter.com/chicagovps.

• @Insidiea said: The latest tweets would be loaded on the client area so he doesn't have the extra work of going to twitter.com/chicagovps.

Not if the "client area" is affected by the issue.

FWIW my take on this is...

• In the event of an outage, the provider should post a notice about it ASAP, and then followup with periodic reports;

• The customer has the responsibility of seeking information in the event of an outage. Waiting for an email isn't good enough.

But where should notices be posted?

I dislike Twitter because it's too vague about times. "About 6 hours ago" isn't good enough when I want to know exactly when a provider posted a notice. And an hour later it's still "About 6 hours ago"...

Facebook sucks because an extended outage gets spammed with comments and I waste too much time trawling through crap to find some real information.

A simple, out-of-our-DC, off-our-network, independent-of-our-DNS blog with RSS would do just fine. It's accessible when everything goes dark. I subscribe by RSS. It's the next best thing to a personal email.

• @sleddog said: I dislike Twitter because it's too vague about times. "About 6 hours ago" isn't good enough when I want to know exactly when a provider posted a notice. And an hour later it's still "About 6 hours ago"...

Just click on, or hover your mouse over, the "about 6 hours ago" for the exact time.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • flyfly Member

great ui design... i guess.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz said: @Insidiea: I did not know that they are only a two-man-show. Indeed, the circumstances are awkward. And yes, I have that cheap $3,50 first month promo. Maybe I had wrong expectations and should better change to a more costly provider who has good procedures for such cases in place.

We are not a two man team.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@NinjaHawk said: I think Murphy is on nyc right now, heat making him crazy lol.

Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@jcaleb said: Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

Its a joke that refers to someone named "Murphy" who ruins stuff. (e.g. server downtime, blame Murphy. Your pants spontaneously catch on fire? Blame Murphy. Your server turns into Skynet and starts killing people? Murphy)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said: Is murphy the slang for the network hardware?

No, it is the personification of bad luck. One of the most quoted "laws" of his is this:
    "If something can go wrong, it will."
    It is said he was some army man, very pessimistic :P
    M

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

@CVPS_Chris: Thank you for the information about the approximate (>2) size of your team. However, this was not my main question, but obviously you are avoiding to answer it. Nevermind. I have cancelled my service with CVPS. You will surely not miss me as a customer and I will not miss the $3.50 in my pocket that I have spent to find out whether CVPS suits my needs or not. Life goes on. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Amitz Sorry for this derailment, I think you just were unlucky, from what I know about them, this is not the norm.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Amitz I think generally CVPS is a good provider, and I have tried them before. I believe they could have answered you better if you opened a ticket.

• AmitzAmitz Member

As said, nevermind... Things did not work out well for them and for me. I guess this happens sometimes. I decided to move on. No harsh feelings - I am out of this thread. :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@jcaleb said: I believe they could have answered you better if you opened a ticket.

Thats what I dont get. Why people come here with questions and expect answers right away. We are very busy so our answers he of course will be short.