Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downtime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Downtime

jshinklejshinkle Member
edited July 2012 in General

Just to make a few things clear and everyone knows, etc.

Yes, ChicagoVPS had about 5 and a half hours downtime in Buffalo earlier today. This has since been rectified.

While awaiting an official RFO, the preliminary issue was that the core switch we connect back to at ColoCrossing keeled over causing all of our primary and backup nodes go down.

Additional measures are being put into place to keep this from happening again.

Any questions or concerns, feel free to email me at jshinkle [at] chicagovps [dot] net or shoot me a PM here in LET.

Thanks

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

What additional measures exactly? I had just switched one of my primary websites to you, just to see it being down shortly after that for hours. So I am indeed interested how you plan to avoid this in future...

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • TazTaz Member

@jshinkle @jack you guys aren't the only one.Murphy hit hard on me this morning as well. but so far, things do look fine.

• TazTaz Member
    edited July 2012

I think Murphy is on nyc right now, heat making him crazy lol.

• We haven't had any network issues with our Buffalo ColoCrossing servers - I assume this was just a "core switch" for your rack/servers?

• yomeroyomero Member

@Jack said: his out for everyone..

Yesterday in the work we were upgrading an Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and then we had a power outage... Almost got fu**** up... :S

• Murphy got me too, i broke the network config of a server with no remote management :P

Luckily its just an empty server at the moment.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@yomero said: Yesterday in the w

I was on Laredo, TX, waiting for a paperwork for a truck we imported... it's gonna be fast, they said, don't worry, you will not stay a day in Laredo, they said...

My fianceé was with me... I spent like $600 just in shopping for her because they truck wasnt ready U.U I hate you Murphy!!!!

• AmitzAmitz Member

How about taking Murphy and his laws to a seperate thread and keep talking here of a 5 hour+ outage with no communication in the meantime? Would that be possible?

Ah. No. Of course not... This is LET, sorry forgot that... ;)

Thanked by 2Satellite jcaleb

@Amitz said: Ah. No. Of course not... This is LET, sorry forgot that... ;)

this is dog

• TazTaz Member

@netomx said: this is dog

And I am a potato.

• AmitzAmitz Member

"Dog" like in "Hot Dog"?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

That's funny. :) However, where is my post that you cited "dog"?
    I am not a native speaker and did my best to figure out what you were trying to tell me when saying that my post was "dog"... Without any result. ;)

@Amitz said: "Dog" like in "Hot Dog"?

here.

=P

• TazTaz Member

@Amitz said: That's funny. :) However, where is my post that you cited "dog"?

I am not a native speaker and did my best to figure out what you were trying to tell me when saying that my post was "dog"... Without any result. ;)

This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • KairusKairus Member

@NinjaHawk said: This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

Psh there goes 9gaggers thinking they made a meme popular :P. It was reddit who made it popular btw.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • Congrats! It only took 4 posts before the subject was completely changed ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

yep. looks like we have a new record.
    M
    P.S. What the hell is with that dog ?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Actually, it only took 2 posts.

• TazTaz Member

@Kairus said: Psh there goes 9gaggers thinking they made a meme popular :P. It was reddit who made it popular btw.

Want a potato?

This is legit 9gagger. But i agree, dog came from Reddit.

• @NinjaHawk said: This is a joke (my and netomx comments) that only 9gaggers will understand.

You might want to read this and take a look at this picture.

Hint: None of the people who actually create OC likes 9gag and this particular dog image was published on Tumblr.

I don't like 4chan :( and I just browse 9gag.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nvm. Sorry i asked...
    M

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

However, next try:
    @jshinkle: What additional measures exactly? I had just switched one of my primary websites to you, just to see it being down shortly after that for hours. So I am indeed interested how you plan to avoid this in future... Why hasn't there been any communication? Why posting here on LET before sending an eMail to affected customers?

• Yep, I'm also disappointed by the lack of communication.

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • If you follow their twitter, they posted about it there.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2012

I do not feel that I, as a customer, have to follow my host to get information. I would expect my host to simply shoot an eMail or put something on their own status page. It's like (no offence) when Ashley sold VMPort to another host and I had to learn it here on LET first before it was communicated directly. That's just bad style.

I spent HOURS today figuring out what might be wrong on my side because I could not reach my VPS. Wasted time.

Thanked by 1Surge
  • InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited July 2012

@Amitz

Although I do share your concern for lack of communication (I have a VM in Buffalo aswell) please do cut them slack, mass sending in those emails takes time and I'm sure their number 1 goal was to try to get everything back up online ASAP, and also keep in mind, that Chris is on vacation leaving Jermiah to run things alone pretty much, which is a stressful job.

I have used ChicagoVPS since January, and this amount of downtime has never happened to me before, for the price you probably payed ($3.50 first month and 7 dollars reoccurring) is a very good deal, and they are the only providers I know of that can offer these prices while maintaining pretty good performance.

Please don't let this once incident ruin your impression of them.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Amitz said: I spent HOURS today figuring out what might be wrong on my side because I could not reach my VPS. Wasted time.

Why did you waste any time? It was posted to their twitter feed https://twitter.com/chicagovps

I think all providers post an outage like that to their twitter, or their announcement page if they host their website offsite. Do you follow all your providers on twitter? I know many do, but it is still a minority when I see only 309 following ChicagoVPS.

Thanked by 1Insidiea
  • @miTgiB said: I think all providers post an outage like that to their twitter, or their announcement page if they host their website offsite. Do you follow all your providers on twitter? I know many do, but it is still a minority when I see only 309 following ChicagoVPS.

I don't use Twitter and i won't start using it to read hosters announcements. In an event of a downtime its the hosters duty to inform me, not the other way around.

Thanked by 2Amitz Maounique