Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP Cloud promo - 3 months free
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP Cloud promo - 3 months free

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in General

Just got an offer from HP Cloud - 20USD/month free credit for 3 months (July, August, September)
http://go.hpcloud.com/20promo2012?elq=
Maybe someone can give them a shot (you need to register regular account first [it's free])

Comments

• What is HP Cloud?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@joodle - https://www.hpcloud.com/ something like Amazon AWS

• flyfly Member

its really meh at best.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

you need to input credit card details to activate the instance

@NanoG6 - so what?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2012

@gbshouse said: so what?

I never input my cc details if I dont really need to. And to avoid being charged because exceed the quota.
    Aaaannd just to tell others who don't have CC, don't bother to register :)

• flyfly Member

don't bother. hpcloud sucks more than aws.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Doesnt look like a good deal, and that is 20 a mo ??? WTF, I can get much better VPS specs with that dough. A kimsufi does much better. So it is free for 3 months, OK, but there are risk to be billed overage and even if it wasnt that risk, those specs are not worth the effort to setup for 3 months. What is HP thinking ? That ppl will buy into the brand, maybe.
    M

I think it's worth to give a try especially that it's free. They are running KVM virtualization and offer some nice templates by default

HP Cloud Compute uses the KVM hypervisor to perform hardware virtualization. KVM, a loadable Linux kernel module, helps give each instance its own private virtualized hardware based on a share of the underlying physical hardware.

Currently, we’re offering operating system support for :

-CentOS 6.2 Server 64-bit
    -CentOS 5.6 Server 64-bit
    -Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 Server 64-bit
    -Fedora 16 Server 64-bit
    -Ubuntu Precise 12.04 LTS Server 64-bit
    -Ubuntu Oneiric 11.10 Server 64-bit
    -Ubuntu Natty 11.04 Server 64-bit
    -Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 Server 64-bit
    -Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS Server 64-bit

@NanoG6 - I'm using prepaid CC from Skrill for Internet purposes
    @Maounique - I agree that they are expensive but since it's still beta I think that sooner or later they will decrease prices

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2012

@Maounique said: Doesnt look like a good deal, and that is 20 a mo ??? WTF, I can get much better VPS specs with that dough.

It's completely different to the sort of VPS you see on LEB/LET - it's pay-by-the-hour, and you can blast 100% CPU if you want to (try doing that on a VPS for a month and see what happens...)

That said, I don't see what they bring to that market. Their regular pricing is almost an exact copy of Amazon's but yet there's nothing 'special' about the service. There are also a bunch of features (some listed as coming soon) that are pretty glaringly absent - auto scaling, uploading your own images, Windows licenses, static IP addresses, really high resource instances, GPU instances, guaranteed/reserved instances...

• rghfrghf Member

No-one ever got fired for buying from a blue chip vendor

I am not sure about that. I think I saw 2 cases here, but there were other things involved too.
    M

• pcanpcan Member

This service seems to be directed to HP enterprise customers. The public cloud infrastructure is a commodity and HP must sell it, exactly as Dell does. The Dell public cloud trial has a nominal one-time 999$ fee, easily removed if you are a current or prospect Dell service customer (my guess). They also will most certainly bundle this service with other support and consulting services.

The trial link is interesting - something new to test in spare time.

@pcan said: something new to test in spare time

And spare time is a commodity in short supply here :(
    M

• lbftlbft Member

@pcan said: This service seems to be directed to HP enterprise customers.

That's pretty much what I thought about too - that it might be sold as burst compute or web capacity for people with HP hardware, or to customers who want to ditch physical hardware for "the cloud" and stick with the same vendor...but:

• I'd expect the pricing for an 'enterprise' service to be hidden behind three salespeople and a fifty-page contract, not for it to be a clone of a competitor's pricing on public web pages...
    • where's Windows? Lots of companies of all sizes have Windows servers they'd like to virtualise.
    • $20 credits take the pain out of trying it out for individuals - but for a medium-large company, needing to specify a credit card may mean getting the accounting department involved. $20/month to try something out is going to seem utterly insignificant to a company of any real size, especially if the cost comes with the same bureaucracy as any other purchase.
    • Half-price beta? Enterprise customers want tales of reliability and dependability, not "We're testing this out, guys! Tell us what you think!"
  • Bandwidth pricing is insane.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2012

I ran UnixBench and a dd test on two instances. On the 32GB I also remembered to do a Cachefly download test and to run ioping.

1GB: http://paste.ee/p/hQKUb
    32GB: http://paste.ee/p/utqre

They seem to be located somewhere around Las Vegas, with Level 3 bandwidth.

@lbft - in my opinion this service is dedicated to small and medium business like companies which want something more than Amazon AWS. If you are running online business like Instagram (on the beginning) and need better scalability and dedicated support than I would say it's the service for you. Beside that pricing is more similar to RackSpace than to Amazon.

• ShamliShamli Member

I'm not gonna get/try this...especially when there is a need to attached my card...my experience with other cloud service(Azure) got me DDOS just within my second week with them till I have to pay a little overage bandwidth fees(though saved by their credit limit)...

edited July 2012

@Shamli - but with Azure incoming transfer is free, what kind of Azure service did you use? Beside that take a look here http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/sspencer/post/2011/02/14/denial-of-service-and-windows-azure.aspx

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited July 2012

@gbshouse i'm weird on this enormous transfer out...after I hit the limit,they remove my Compute machine,leaving only storage...then I add back the Compute and receiving new IP...and I blocked all port for the time being,until I get a way to reduce/stop it...

before moving my sites to Azure, all of them hosted on other LEB,and no problem at all...
    and it' s also weird if someone got into my VPS as only ssh key needed to login..

something that interesting is that my previous IP is now used by other person...a few days after I'm DDOSed....

@Shamli - what kind of service are you running?

• ShamliShamli Member

@gbshouse it's a Virtual machine...running nginx+php-fpm+mysql(skip-innodb)...and this happen just after I install varnish,and yet to configure it correctly,it's default port still blocked at Endpoint....
    inside are a few website that total visitors before moving in is less than 30 on average a day....

edited July 2012

@Shamli - use firewall to limit number of connections per IP. On Windows I'm using automatic IP ban plus restricting number of connections also client side caching etc. Good that bindwidth is cheap :).