Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kimsufi Montreal: Does anyone know when official prices for the dedis would be available? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

kimsufi Montreal: Does anyone know when official prices for the dedis would be available?

2»

Comments

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

I didn't think they were actually housing customer servers in downtown Montreal, only networky stuff, although I could be wrong.

Their big datacentre is in a former aluminium plant in Beauharnois on the outskirts of Montreal.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@lbft said: in Beauharnois on the outskirts of Montreal.

And if you scroll 500 meters to the north-west, it says there "Beauharnois Hydroelectric Power Station". Heh, I suppose they almost pay YOU to consume electricity there. :)

However I wonder what's with this fashion to build datacenters on river shores. Strasbourg's one is in harbour, now this one, and even OVH's stuff in Roubaix is also beside some river. Isn't increased humidity a problem, and what about the risk of floods.

• Cooling reasons.

• @rm_ AFAIK, OVH use a lot of water cooling for their servers, so it makes sense for them to be able to tap into cheap water ;)

• No word yet on kimsufi pricing, 450 servers have just been initialized today;
    For the current setup i have i3-2100 / 16GB ram / 2x 1TB hdd / 100mbit the pricing will be $69;

Network is pretty loaded right now, since everybody is testing there servers, getting around 110ms pings from NL.

Here's a test IP: 198.245.61.168

I'll update you guys on more tomorrow !

• tuxtux Member

@StableVDS said: For the current setup i have i3-2100 / 16GB ram / 2x 1TB hdd / 100mbit the pricing will be $69;

Or 61,50 €/month

• JTRJTR Member

@StableVDS said: No word yet on kimsufi pricing, 450 servers have just been initialized today;

For the current setup i have i3-2100 / 16GB ram / 2x 1TB hdd / 100mbit the pricing will be $69;

Network is pretty loaded right now, since everybody is testing there servers, getting around 110ms pings from NL.

Here's a test IP: 198.245.61.168

I'll update you guys on more tomorrow !

So I guess the 2012 line is going to be interesting, seeing as they changed the CPU, doubled the HDDs, and changed the pricing.

• @StableVDS said: No word yet on kimsufi pricing, 450 servers have just been initialized today;

You sure?

A dual core i3 is quite a downgrade from their current i5 2400s..

• The server i got in BHS is not a kimsufi, but a SP Mini 2012, this is from there standard line; No word yet on the kimsufi's.

• JTRJTR Member

@NateN34 said: You sure?

A dual core i3 is quite a downgrade from their current i5 2400s..

Well... Honestly, it's debatable. You get a greatly increased clock speed, at the cost of halving the cores (but gaining hyperthreading!). I'd say they're similar. And, since you'd gain two HDDs, it's a worthy trade-off. I do wonder what the bandwidth options will look like though... And what will replace the KS-24G, a i7-2600?

@Jack said: Might be replacing the atom?

Nah, they already have 4GB atoms for the 2012 line if the promo servers are any indicator of that.

• JTRJTR Member

Oh wait, @StableVDS, you got a OVH-issue 2012 series server, not a Kimsufi server.

http://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/superplan_mini.xml

• @JTR read above in my second comment;

• JTRJTR Member

@StableVDS said: @JTR read above in my second comment;

Sorry, I scrolled past the comment last time, and when replying this time Vanilla sent me to my previous comment, so I didn't see yours.

• Yes, and still, it shouldn't impact latency so much.

Unfinished peering and transit providers 'shouldn't affect latency so much', got it.

....Quit talking out of your ass.

• JTRJTR Member

I creeped through the CEO's photos like I've been doing for the past three months (http://yfrog.com/user/olesovhcom/photos) and recently found some interesting stuff.

He has hundreds of pictures in that profile, it's extremely fascinating to get a inside look at building a datacenter.

• The pictures above are from BHS, you can follow olesovhcom at twitter for the pics and latest on what's happening. (french!)

• lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2012

The bad news on Kimsufi pricing in Beauharnois: they aren't selling them. They're only doing OVH-branded dedis. Oles said about Kimsufi:

we are not planning on launching them in US to prevent being labelled labelled as a discounter.

IMHO the OVH network in North America isn't what I'd call "premium", there's still the occasional weird routing/higher latency than there should be. For a brand new network their IPv6 sucks (e.g. everything to HE goes via Miami). They've also bumped the price to $79/month for US/Canada-based customers on the SP Mini (Core i3, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD, 100Mbps).

According to that post, alpha servers are getting switched off at the end of July with no option to renew, existing beta servers need to be renewed by the 15th, and anybody who got an order in but doesn't have their server yet will get it for a month starting on the 15th.

• Now if they have Kimsufi for Canada then I'd be down :P

• YahYah Member

Just tried to register, only to realise I already had an account here.

To reply to @HalfEatenPie, an OVH employee has stated that Kimsufi will not be making an appearance in BHS: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6191

• Yeah I already knew that, but thanks for confirming.

Kind of the entire reason why I posted that.

Also, this post is old.

• If the Kimsufi line will not hit this new DC, then I really see no reason to get a dedi in their location when there are other cheaper DC's here in America.