Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• @liam said: Seriously? Bet you have a nice bill now.

Nope, I ordered most of them when they were free for every single IP (even if no VPS was on it).

And I was very persuasive at getting them to waive the invoice for new ones (since they are essentially not installing anything).

• earlearl Member

Could these be blade servers? seems like about the right specs..

hp blade server

• PatsPats Member

yes should be, as in WHT datashack had mentioned 'Server Grade, HP Hardware'

@earl said: Could these be blade servers? seems like about the right specs..

• @HalfEatenPie said: Yup @Satellite and Myself (plus another person on IRC I don't qutie remember who) already bought one each yesterday.

Ordered mine yesterday as well, I heard mixed reviews about datashack but what the heck, it is just 10 more bucks than BlueVM's semi-dedi and you get a nice SSD RAID yourself :)

• @rm_ said: Since it has 5 IPs included in the $35 price, I'd consider getting one, then selling 4 512MB KVM VPSes on it for $7/mo each (preferrably to trusted people), thus nicely offsetting the cost of the whole server.

An $7 KVM on a server where there's only 4 other users, that's quite attractive imho.

Doubt it is going to hold 4 abusers though :)

• @lele0108 said: Guess they just lost my money.

Dude, it is 5 bucks for ONE TIME, LOL :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@zhuanyi said: preferrably to trusted people

This.
    M

• I think @rm_ was trying to mock those summer kiddie hosts? Who thought any random character online is trusted people? :)

• @NickPerk said: Well it says SSD on the site index, but when ordering it says SAS. Gotta love that marketing they do. (Maybe they will bring back the sex core)

Mmm...I think mine said SSD, I triple-checked that when I ordered yesterday....may be they ran out of SSDs?

• DamianDamian Member

When I looked just now, it's been updated to SAS.

Too bad they don't offer RAID, even software RAID.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: I think @rm_ was trying to mock those summer kiddie hosts? Who thought any random character online is trusted people? :)

Nope, I meant that with this kind of setup I'd prefer to have "clients" primarily among people I know either personally, or have seen them build a good reputation at some online forum etc. Please re-read what I wrote, if you have troubles understanding, reread many times and slowly:

I'd consider getting one, then selling 4 512MB KVM VPSes on it for $7/mo each (preferrably to trusted people), thus nicely offsetting the cost of the whole server.

• @Damian said: Too bad they don't offer RAID, even software RAID.

They gave me hardware RAID 1 when I asked :)

• @rm_ said: Nope, I meant that with this kind of setup I'd prefer to have "clients" primarily among people I know either personally, or have seen them build a good reputation at some online forum etc. Please re-read what I wrote, if you have troubles understanding, reread many times and slowly:

Sorry, I thought this was a joke, did not see you were being serious about it

• ztecztec Member

Isnt ddr2 like way slower than ddr 3?

• @ztec said: Isnt ddr2 like way slower than ddr 3?

No.

• ztecztec Member

Ok, well, in that case I'll order one. thanks.

• SSD, 4GB with a shit processor? Should be fine to run a whole host of websites; just nothing that's going to thrash shit.

• DamianDamian Member

@zhuanyi said: They gave me hardware RAID 1 when I asked :)

Srsly? How often did you have to ask? Do you have a lot of servers with them to leverage something like that?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hmm. I wanted to order one but they never replied to my sales query email :/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@eastonch said: with a shit processor

Two Dual-core Opterons are anything but a "shit processor".
    However, they indeed are going to process your shit in a fairly speedy manner.

@Damian said: Too bad they don't offer RAID, even software RAID.

Nothing stops you from creating a software RAID yourself.
    More interesting question is whether or not they offer KVM-over-IP, so that you could install an OS onto the server yourself, remotely (and in the process, create that s/w RAID).

• huluwahuluwa Member

146GB SSD or SAS?

• DamianDamian Member

@rm_ said: Two Dual-core Opterons are anything but a "shit processor".

However, they indeed are going to process your shit in a fairly speedy manner.

+1. We use Opteron 2216's (amongst other AMD processors), and while they're getting decommissioned for something that does better on power, they're holding their own.

@rm_ said: More interesting question is whether or not they offer KVM-over-IP, so that you could install an OS onto the server yourself, remotely (and in the process, create that s/w RAID).

Yeah, that's what I was interested in. I'd prefer to do SW raid that gets booted from. There are some write-ups on how to do so SW raid1 and put it in-place on an existing filesystem, but I'm not sure what happens if something goes wrong during set-up and system isn't bootable anymore.

• PatsPats Member

@rm_ said: $7/mo each (preferrably to trusted people)

Hope u remember me as trusted :)

• PatsPats Member

@huluwa said: 146GB SSD or SAS?

guys who have received their boxes can confirm on the hard disk model etc.?

• @Pats said: guys who have received their boxes can confirm on the hard disk model etc.?

Still haven't received it yet, but the website did say SSD

• huluwahuluwa Member

@Pats said: guys who have received their boxes can confirm on the hard disk model etc.?

I haven't seen any 146G SSD..

• Apologies @RM_ and @Damian -- I misread what it actually was; You're both right :! -- posted that when I first woke up, me thinks.

• If it is a real SSD and not a SAS, this would be a GREAT offer.

• huluwahuluwa Member

@Jeffrey said: If it is a real SSD and not a SAS, this would be a GREAT offer.

ya