Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anybody understand the EDIS firewall?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anybody understand the EDIS firewall?

hmmmmhmmmm Member
edited July 2012 in General

How can I set it up to block everything, and just allow port 80? I tried looking at IPTables but I don't know how to set it up via the CP

Thanks

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

EDIS would probably give you better support from their Support area, what did they say when you contacted them?

Googling "iptables how to block everything but port 80" comes up with quite a few examples. You may want to expand that to "everything but port 80 and port 22" so you'll be able to log in again via SSH in the future.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@hmmmm - write to their support or ask @William

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Yes, dont forget to allow your SSH port as well!

Unless they have a web-based ssh client from their control panel that you want to use instead :P

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I think there is web based firewall for Edis' vServer

• InglarInglar Member

You can try to install Webmin+CSF, for example:

http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html

/ meaning that you will use the Debian OS, for others,
    I'm can't say with certainty at this moment whether this is helpful /

So in this case you can get some kind of GUI for you firewall,
    and it not so bad as I'm can say :) And finally it's simply will be better to understand etc.

Of course such things will require additional resources,
    but as 'bonus' you also can get some interesting and usefull things.

• VServer or KVM....

• hmmmmhmmmm Member

hi, I've just emailed EDIS support

it's a vserver

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

or.. if you wanna try iptables script, this iptables generator is pretty good http://www.mista.nu/iptables/

Thanked by 1Victor
  • GaryGary Member

Those who aren't EDIS customers probably don't understand their Vserver setup, but to my knowledge, Iptables won't work due to the odd way the virtualisation works.

I was really confused, I bought one the other day and it shows me the load for the entire box in top/htop, not just my container. For 5 minutes I was wondering WTF was using the CPU considering I wasn't running anything. Then I checked the support pages... :)

• InglarInglar Member

@Gary said: Those who aren't EDIS customers probably don't understand their Vserver setup

Also there many even EDIS customers which use KVM VPS from them !

And they probably more than happy with them, but has to pay a little more of course...

But I think it's worth it, in some cases :)

• @Gary said: I was really confused, I bought one the other day and it shows me the load for the entire box in top/htop, not just my container. For 5 minutes I was wondering WTF was using the CPU considering I wasn't running anything. Then I checked the support pages... :)

Haha, yea, better not run ifconfig then to see the traffic or you pass out :p

Thanked by 2djvdorp Gary
  • hmmmmhmmmm Member

forgot about this thread lol

edis already got back to me and showed me how to set it up

thanks for the replies though