Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPXCore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPXCore

yomeroyomero Member
edited July 2012 in Providers

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

We had an incoming DDoS, which they decided to rectify by unplugging our network drop. Not a valid fix method...

Atjeu mentioned something about not wanting to keep hosting us. If we can't come to an agreement, we'll have to make a hard decision about moving datacenters again, or throwing in the towel and refunding everyone's money.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Damian Hopefully you will find a solution

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • RobertRobert Member
    edited July 2012

Yeah, both of mine down too. Sporadic for most of the morning here (UK time) with massive packet loss but some pings getting through. Now it's completely down.

I'm wondering if they were being DDOS'd and they've now been null routed or something.

Anyway, hope everything's OK and that they're back alive and kicking soon!

Edit: Ah, I see Damian's responded above already!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

hope there is solution Damian, love your vps =)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would be sad if this happens. Throwin' the towel, i mean.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Damian if there is something I can do, please ask without problems...

• Hope you work it out, your 32 MB plans are amazing!

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • flyfly Member

i suggest you pick your datacenters not solely on pricing. the fact that you've had to migrate datacenters twice already...

if you're looking in phoenix, talk to some known dc's such as phoenixnap or something.

• Dude...

If you need anything just let us know I'm sure most of us are more than willing to help.

• http://www.atjeu.com/ Their website loads sooo slow..

• RobertRobert Member

Looks like they've plugged it back in. DDOS must still be in progress though as most pings aren't making it through.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@kbar sometimes its not as simple as that. You need a DC partnership and partnerships take time to develop. If a new DC was moved into and a few DDOS' have happened they'll tend to kick a client out as they'll be marked a trouble client (no matter how much you pay).

Don't give up @Damian you've spent a great deal of time building a service that a lot of people really like and you shouldn't given in to a DDOS kiddie.

• hope you can solve the problem @Damian and get the best solution for you both with atjeu and client aswell.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Jeffrey said: http://www.atjeu.com/ Their website loads sooo slow..

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • DamianDamian Member

Thanks everyone, we'll keep plugging away at them to get people back online. In the meantime, it looks like we'll have to solicit quotes again.

@prometeus: Thank you!

@joepie91: it's a really old datacenter, so it's not surprising. Their support system are a bunch of perl scripts. Who uses perl anymore? It wasn't til after we moved that we found out that they don't have any way to support us doing customer-sourced blackholing.

• @damian -- I love your service, and I hope that this DC will turn around and be "good".

@Joepie91 -- LOL Dreamweaver made? -- I refused to create my website in college based on tables, while we were taught that, purely made it in HTML using NP++ (Tutor was all "WHAT THE FUCK?")

Anyway... Here's a version of the site I made using tables... http://www.dotslashhosting.com/ (yeah.. it sucks. don't hate, mail script works tho.)

PhoenixNAP is "good" -- I've never had a problem with that DC and providers inside of it. IOFlood and SecuredServers are there, I'm sure some other providers are there too -- Ask @ShardHost on his provider, I think he's somewhere around there, and he's having no problems as far as I know of, anyhow.

Good luck mate, and I hope it's resolved -- If you need anything, the great guys here at LET can help :']!!!

@Damian said: support us doing customer-sourced blackholing.

The problem is: have they the correct tools to identify the target? Blackholing is as easy as to establish a private AS bgp session with a bird instance and using community...

• DamianDamian Member

@prometeus said: The problem is: have they the correct tools to identify the target? Blackholing is as easy as to establish a private AS bgp session with a bird instance and using community...

They managed to narrow it down to the IP of a user who signed up yesterday. I'm also aware of how easy it is to blackhole a source, but when I poked at them repeatedly for support on the issue, they mentioned that they have to call Cox and ELI, their carriers, to blackhole an address.

@Damian said: they mentioned that they have to call Cox and ELI, their carriers, to blackhole an address.

do you know the nature of the ddos, it was an udp flood?

• DamianDamian Member

@prometeus said: do you know the nature of the ddos, it was an udp flood?

Not sure yet. So far all I know is that it was 700mbit, and somehow managed to kill their entire network.

@Damian said: Not sure yet. So far all I know is that it was 700mbit, and somehow managed to kill their entire network.

they are underpowered somewhere.... maybe they do some firewalling / filtering / dpi ...

• yomeroyomero Member

@joepie91
    I still use width and height, because it works and is quick. Doesn't have nothing to do with this ¬_¬ ffs.

Back on topic. Thanks for the information. I hope you will solve it in some way.

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • TaylorTaylor Member

That's awful that they can pull the plug on you like that, but if they have to do all that calling to block an ip, I guess they no not have a choice if it's affecting all clients.

• DamianDamian Member

Adam and I are sending quote requests to colo@, phoenixnap, and cybertrails. We'll see what happens.

• PADPAD Member

Get out while you can, even if they get better, just run for the hills.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Which DC is that? And how come 700mbps took down their entire network? A couple of weeks ago I had ~650 up to 850mbps attack according to the graphs from the switch, targeted to a client of myne and the server was not even kicked offline, didn't even have to log through kvm, as normal SSH was working fine. The DC nullrouted the IP relatively fast, though. And I can not say that they are superb, so I can conclude that your DC is not quite good, you should switch the DC as soon as you can.

• PADPAD Member

A combination of old hardware and old support, if you ask me @LiquidHost.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

colo@ couldn't answer our questions over the phone. So they're kinda out-of-the-running.

@PAD: Exactly. We should have scissored when we determined that no IRC was allowed, but sometimes we're just stupid and need to be beaten to learn.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I still use width and height, because it works and is quick. Doesn't have nothing to do with this ¬_¬ ffs.

style="width: 100px; height: 200px;"

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ah man that's bad news, had a word with Gabe over at ioflood, he has racks in Phoenix and is a top guy also very good at reacting to DOS attacks?

This discussion has been closed.