Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No-cost 256MB VPS trade for DNS/email backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No-cost 256MB VPS trade for DNS/email backup?

xeniumxenium Member
edited June 2012 in General

I currently have a dedicated server which I use for my hosting (web, DNS, MySQL, email, and a few other things.)

I would like to have a small VPS or 2 to use as backup DNS/email servers. I may also run Nagios on one of them to monitor my dedicated server.

Since I already have a dedicated server for hosting my sites, the VPS would not host any sites and would produce absolutely minimal traffic/IO/CPU. (I host about a dozen low-traffic domains; projects I'm working on, and personal sites of my own and friends.)

I was hoping that someone in a similar situation might be willing to swap a low-end VPS with me, i.e. I set up a VPS on my dedicated server for you, and you do the same for me?

I can provide 1 IPv4 address to you, and a bunch of IPv6 addresses (via a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel that I already have set up.) I would need 1 IPv4 address and 1 IPv6 address (if you're not running IPv6 that's ok, I can set up another tunnel, but it would have to be a VPS capable of using a tunnel, i.e. something like VirtualBox or XEN, no paravirtualization.)

No control panels, nothing fancy, just a basic VPS using whatever virtualization software you prefer. :-) (I'm running VirtualBox on my end.)

My server is collocated in a datacenter in South Bend, Indiana, although it really doesn't matter to me where the VPS is located, it can be in your living room for all I care, again I don't need bandwidth, just a (reasonably) reliable low-end VPS.

Obviously if your VPS starts hammering my server's bandwidth, or your VPS gets compromised or used for anything illegal it will be deleted, and I would expect you to do the same to mine for the same reasons. I'm not looking to set up any sort of contract or liability or warranty. I'm not a business, I just host my own stuff for fun and would prefer to share resources to save us both some money, so this arrangement would be terminable at any time by either party. I don’t wish to get in to the hosting business (again… been there, done that, got the t-shirt.) :-)

256 MB Seems to be the minimum you can comfortably run CentOS in without tweaking stuff, and that's my OS of choice, thus the request for 256 MB, but I'd be willing consider other ideas.

Anyone interested?

• Jeff

Comments

• If you don't care for it being in a living room, why not use your own living room?

• DamianDamian Member

I'm interested.

@xenium said: I would need 1 IPv4 address and 1 IPv6 address (if you're not running IPv6 that's ok, I can set up another tunnel, but it would have to be a VPS capable of using a tunnel, i.e. something like VirtualBox or XEN, no paravirtualization.)

We don't have IPv6 capabilities yet; we have a few clients running tunnels on our OpenVZ service.

Let me know if you're interested in us too.

• Mum/gf says no to hardware in the living room

• TaylorTaylor Member

@cosmicgate said: living room

Then in your bed room? :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: Mum/gf says no to hardware in the living room

You live with both your mom and your girlfriend?
    Are you dating your sister?

• xeniumxenium Member

@rajprakash said: If you don't care for it being in a living room, why not use your own living room?

Lack of static IP addresses, sadly, not to mention blocking of port 25. :-( Otherwise, I certainly would, I have a number of Linux boxes at home I could use for this, if there was a way to address them externally.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Try Host1Free

• @Taylor said: Then in your bed room? :P

That sounds sexy and i know it.

@raindog308 said: You live with both your mom and your girlfriend?

Are you dating your sister?

Yeah.

Thanked by 1netomx