Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFCVPS 1 Month Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LFCVPS 1 Month Review

lumaluma Member
edited June 2012 in Reviews

I signed up for a VPS with these guys after they posted in the offers section here on LET.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2959/lfcvps-35-off-2x-ram-2x-bandwidth-11-free-backups/p1

Description: XenPV with 4 Cores of those lovely E5's, 512MB ram, 512MB Swap, 20GB disk and 600GB bandwidth at gigabit speeds for $5.17 per month. They also provide DNS service which can be accessed via WHMCS. The welcome email includes all the pertinent details related to this service.

Signup and Purchase: Fairly standard. No problems. WHMCS based website. Valid SSL cert. Normal sign up process.

Delivery: Welcome to email received at 2:34PM and VPS info received at 2:38PM. Nice welcome email. Clear text password but good info and everything you need in a welcome email.

Customer Service: Has been great. During the signup process I requested in the order notes that they draw me a cat using MS Paint or Gimp and take a screenshot. at 2:31PM (yes, even before WHMCS sent me the emails! I received an email with the following link: http://i.imgur.com/M1XhB.jpg from a staff member himself. A few weeks later I opened a ticket for additional info on backups and I opened the ticket on a Saturday at 4:39PM and received a reply containing the info requested at 4:45PM.

They are quick to reply to tickets and very polite and easy to work with.

SolusVM: secured using default https port and a valid cert. No instant RDNS but RDNS can be done using WHMCS though for both ipv4 and ipv6 (tested). Decent little selection of images (Standard distros)

Node: One thing I like about these guys is they are not afraid to give you the node specs. Asus Server board with dual hexa core E5 2600's, 64GB ram and 8x 15k SAS drives in a raid 10 powered by an Adaptec controller.

VPS Backup information: I decided to play around with this feature after speaking with Jeff at LFCVPS and it is very cool. You login to whmcs and go to my backups and you will see a list of your backups (10 total, and you can create one yourself) and there is a restore button and also a get credentials button. When you click get credentials you get the FTP details for it. It uses FTP with SSL and once you login you basically get a file system structure. I was expecting a big tar.gz but no this is much better, Everything is laid out like the real Filesystem so you can pick and choose what to download.

Actual VPS Info:

CPU 4x:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 45
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2000.000
cache size      : 15360 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss nx constant_tsc pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes avx hypervisor tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips        : 4000.00
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

free -m:

root@test:~# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           500        218        282          0         20        178
-/+ buffers/cache:         18        482
Swap:          511          0        511

df -h:

root@test:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda1             20G  826M   18G   5% /
tmpfs                 251M     0  251M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                  240M   24K  240M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 251M  4.0K  251M   1% /dev/shm

ioping -c 30 . (Tried this at various times over the last few days and it is always around this mark):

--- . (ext3 /dev/xvda1) ioping statistics ---
30 requests completed in 29013.4 ms, 3573 iops, 14.0 mb/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 0.2/0.3/0.4/0.1 ms

DD test (Tried this at various times over the last few days and it is always around this mark):

root@test:~/ioping-0.6# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.40289 s, 244 MB/s

Network tests:
FDC Servers Denver 1GB:

2012-06-16 23:21:02 (72.3 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [1073741824/1073741824]

FDC Chicago 1GB:

2012-06-16 23:23:12 (20.2 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [1073741824/1073741824]

Cachefly:

2012-06-16 23:24:58 (32.4 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

Linode London (started slow but then went to 11.2 and stayed there: 104,857,600 11.3M/s in 13s
)

2012-06-16 23:26:08 (7.83 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

GeekBench score of 5640.

Conclusion: For the price I find this to be a well balanced service. Great node. Good service and support and good value for money. I have not received a single Nagios or Pingdom alert so things seem to be very stable.

Thanked by 1Chief

Comments

• TaylorTaylor Member

What node are you on please (: .

• lumaluma Member

@Taylor said: What node are you on please (: .

Node climax (oh yeah baby!)

Thanked by 2TheHackBox klikli
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@luma said: During the signup process I requested in the order notes that they draw me a cat using MS Paint or Gimp and take a screenshot. at 2:31PM (yes, even before WHMCS sent me the emails! I received an email with the following link: http://i.imgur.com/M1XhB.jpg from a staff member himself.

wut ???
    OMG, and I thought I am crazy...
    M

• lumaluma Member

@Maounique said: wut ???

You have to have a little fun in this day and age. It is the same little joke as asking the pizza place to draw a photo of a dragon on the box except for us geeks.

• @luma, thanks for the great review -- balltongu (on #lowendbox, #lfcvps) drew the cat for you :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@luma said: During the signup process I requested in the order notes that they draw me a cat

This is like Deja vu, did you ask me to draw a pony?

• lumaluma Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: This is like Deja vu, did you ask me to draw a pony?

I don't believe that was me. I signed up with you in late 2011 and I was not asking for animal drawings then I don't think :) I also think that @Francisco would get mighty annoyed if I asked another provider for a pony.

• @luma, probably a good thing you didn't have a need to review our included backups :-) We did just recently add a self-service restore feature to them though -- thankfully no one has had to use it.

• lumaluma Member

@jeff_lfcvps said: We did just recently add a self-service restore feature to them though

Nice. Are the backups kept on the same node or on a separate server? That is pretty awesome tool to have even if on same node. In case I delete the wrong folder/file :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I am going to post something in here, not just to bash the sales or something, but some explaination would be great:

@jeff_lfcvps said: Sorry, @CVPS_Chris, my original comment of "I'm afraid they do" wasn't really a great reply :) Our node specs are 100% accurate -- you don't stay in business for 10+ years by lying about specifications that can be easily vetted by anyone who signs up for a VPS.

And whois records:
    ICANN Registrar:GODADDY.COM, LLCCreated:2011-07-08

Which is only 1 year, not 10+ years? Other than that, the tests seem good. Good luck with sales.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: And whois records:

ICANN Registrar:GODADDY.COM, LLCCreated:2011-07-08

Which is only 1 year, not 10+ years?

LFCVPS = Loose Foot Computing (LFC Hosting), see: http://www.lfcvps.com/company.php

Domain Name: LFCHOSTING.COM
       Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
       Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
       Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/
       Name Server: NS1.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Name Server: NS2.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Name Server: NS3.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Updated Date: 19-mar-2008
       Creation Date: 31-may-1998
       Expiration Date: 30-may-2017

Domain Name: LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
       Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
       Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/
       Name Server: NS1.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Name Server: NS2.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Name Server: NS3.LOOSEFOOT.COM
       Updated Date: 24-apr-2007
       Creation Date: 02-sep-1997
       Expiration Date: 01-sep-2016

Thanked by 1Satellite
  • lumaluma Member
    edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: Which is only 1 year, not 10+ years?

Please have a look at the original offer that I linked. It explains it (parent company been around since then)

Edit: @Nabo beat me to it :)

• @Maounique said: wut ???

OMG, and I thought I am crazy...
    M

Lol this guys making a LOT of money drawing cats for people http://iwanttodrawacatforyou.com/ especially after he appeared on shark tank and got a deal done.

• I have had my VPS with them a few days. I am on Climax myself and has been wonderful, though I really only have logged into it twice now. The monitoring system is pretty straight forward, so little I have to do after I set it up.

• Great review!

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

+1 to LFCVPS I've heard a lot of good things about them so far..

• @luma I don't believe Jeff saw your question about backups. The backups themselves are not kept on the nodes, but rather on a separate server specifically for client backups.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I hope these great providers expand to different locations soon =)

• @jcaleb We are actually in the process of getting a node in place in Canada. In fact I'm sitting here right now getting the battery module on the RAID card. We'll be announcing that soon enough, I'm hoping I can get it shipped away on Tuesday.

• flyfly Member

jeff is a nice guy, knows his shit. his "whmcs" home page is hacked up pretty hard core. good stuff. performance is pretty good. cpu is a little bit on the weak side but that's not really a big deal good uptime. he's also on irc a lot so you can get support there. can't wait for canadian lfcvps... apparently it's gonna be @ netelligent?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@iann_LFCVPS i was thinking California for the Asian guys like me. More power man.

• I'm not in charge of such decisions however I've thought the west coast was a good possibility for our next expansion.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

good luck

• lumaluma Member

@kbar said: cpu is a little bit on the weak side

Why do you say this? The node I am on has dual E5-2620 and my VPS has 4x vcpu. Sure the clock speed on these E5's is 2.0Ghz but still they are fast hard working processors.

• @luma said: During the signup process I requested in the order notes that they draw me a cat using MS Paint or Gimp and take a screenshot.

I see, well, that's interesting and very normal of you :)

• TaylorTaylor Member

@luma said: E5's is 2.0Ghz

The node im on has CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz (:

• Expand to Europe! :D

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • flyfly Member

im on bulyeah, which is also an e5520 host machine. jeff did upgrade me to two cores, so that helped a lot.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

@Taylor said: The node im on has CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz (:

E5520 != E5-XXXX

• lumaluma Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: E5520 != E5-XXXX

It also is not a bad cpu though. At least it is a Xeon with ECC memory and the 5520 is a good solid cpu. Very popular.