Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard drive let the smoke out...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard drive let the smoke out...

DamianDamian Member
edited June 2012 in General

"What's that smell? Why is there fog coming from that machine?"

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2012

What did you do to i? Coffee ?

Doh it's an IDE disk.

• @liam said: Put some sausages on it ;)

Nah, do a fry up.

• Lol, i had this with my old 250GB IDE HDD wich was a backup disk at my old P4 PC with 1GB ram lol

• vedranvedran Veteran

Cheap power connectors?

• I'm right in guessing that this is only a 250GB drive?

• Now i know where your servers are and i'm gonna rape them ;)

• DamianDamian Member

@rds100 said: Doh it's an IDE disk.

I guess it didn't want to live anymore and commited suicide

@Daniel said: I'm right in guessing that this is only a 250GB drive?

320gb

@gsrdgrdghd said: Now i know where your servers are and i'm gonna rape them ;)

Well, when you work up an appetite with the rapage, make sure you have some BBQ from Pork on a Fork ( http://www.porkonafork.com/home/ ) across the parking lot.

• @Damian said: make sure you have some BBQ from Pork on a Fork ( http://www.porkonafork.com/home/ ) across the parking lot.

Wow that looks so delicious :(

• wiiguywiiguy Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Wow that looks so delicious :(

all that meat was baked/cooked on Damian ide hdd :)

Thanked by 1nabo
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Damian said: What's that smell?

remind me of the Apple products who explodes haha

• @netomx said: remind me of the Apple products who explodes haha

A few years ago (2007?), I had a Apple MacBook Pro's battery rapidly expand on my lap, horrible burns.

@Daniel said: horrible burns.

Wow, I hope you didnt get damaged.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: Wow, I hope you didnt get damaged.

Its mostly cleared up now, took 2 years to start healing.

• DamianDamian Member

@Daniel said: A few years ago (2007?), I had a Apple MacBook Pro's battery rapidly expand on my lap, horrible burns.

My wife had the same issue happen to her. Completely soured me to paying the premium for Apple products.

• @liam said: Did you sue?

No apparently it says in the manual "Not to have the laptop on your lap", or something like that.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @liam said: @Daniel said: No apparently it says in the manual "Not to have the laptop on your lap", or something like that.

For long periods of time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, and dont use your servers 24/7 or your car more than 100 KM a day, WTF...
    M

• CoreyCorey Member

LOL it's called a LAP TOP for a reason.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2012

I would never get myself an Apple laptop/PC. Complete waste of money in my eyes. Neither would buy myself an iphone, considering I can get something much better for that price.

• @LiquidHost said: I would never get myself an Apply laptop/PC. Complete waste of money in my eyes. Neither would buy myself an iphone, considering I can get something much better for that price.

I have a 2011 MBP now, and never had any battery or heat issues.

@Daniel said: I have a 2011 MBP now, and never had any battery or heat issues.

I asume this means macbook pro?

Well, I am using windows myself. I have a good spec laptop, that I got for really cheap compared to apple (it's a i5 sandy bridge, 8 gigs of RAM and 1gig external video, working absolutely great and stable). I am still doing some asp.net/c# programming from time to time, thats why I stick with windows. However, if I didn't use it for that, I'd go for Linux. Mac would be the last option.

edited June 2012

@LiquidHost said: I asume this means macbook pro?

Yes.

Im able to push 7 hours battery and I love the design of the hardware and OS X is one of the best UNIX-based OS's imo, great for PHP.

@Daniel said: Yes.

You had awfull experience with them, got burned and you still bought their new model?

• @LiquidHost said: You had awfull experience with them, got burned and you still bought their new model?

I brought another in 2009, never had an issue.

Saved up in 2011 and got another with the faster i5's.

The Unibodys do not have the battery issue, its the models before.

@Daniel said: I brought another in 2009, never had an issue.

Saved up in 2011 and got another with the faster i5's.

The Unibodys do not have the battery issue, its the models before.

Didn't the iphones explode as well? :D

On the other side, around 7 years ago I had to send back a new dell 710m's battery for replacement, cause they were exploding as well.

• @LiquidHost said: Didn't the iphones explode as well? :D

I used to use iPhones (from 2007 to 2012), but recently moved to Android, and love it.

Its sad, CPU and screen technology is sky rocketing, yet battery technology can't keep up.

edited June 2012

@Jack said: Sorry for being nosey but how much did you pay as I'm starting to dislike Windows.

The one in 2009 was a birthday present, the one in 2011 was £1100. I think there is a gap in the market for some Ubuntu laptops.

• Laptop

Apple calls it a MacBook or Notebook computer - don't think they've used the name laptop since the 90s. :)

Ya, they can get pretty warm. I hope everyone is okay who has gotten injured.

I do... mine is a laptop =P

• klikliklikli Member

Laptop, notebook, etc. are never meant to be used on your lap or sofa, they will get hot very, very easily