Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who was working on a open source VPS Control Panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who was working on a open source VPS Control Panel?

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited June 2012 in General

Swear I saw it here lol and I cant find it because every other person post the word panel or control in a post every 5 minutes.. blargh.

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

Maybe... jtodd? bitcable? fran?

• subigosubigo Member

I released a public version of BoxCtrl-VZ a few months ago. The rights to future development was bought out by another company, but the old version is still available. Someone posted a copy of it in the Fraud thread.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 if I remember well

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited June 2012

No need, Proxmox now has API support and Hostbill supports it now, I imagine WHMCS will have this soon.

HyperVM is also opensource.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited June 2012

It already does a free plugin was released I have a copy of it. And yes it's JoePoe coding it, inception hosting (@Anthony) that's funding it as far as I know.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited June 2012

@GetKVM_Ash said: It already does a free plugin was released I have a copy of it.

Actually Proxmox (module) is only free in WHMCS while its RC1, then they are going to be charging for it.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@prometeus said: @joepie91 if I remember well

I'm indeed working on an open source VPS panel (and some other people are working on their own panels as well I believe, although not sure if open source).

• TazTaz Member

Why promox (Limits option, no maddam Raid support etc)? BoxCtrl is a great piece of script. Easy to fork.
    You also have the panel from LXcenter/kloxo guys.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@NinjaHawk said: no maddam Raid support etc

Why would a panel support/not support this? swraid is just another device

• I would love to see @Francisco Open source Stallion. :P

Thanked by 1klikli
  • rds100rds100 Member

@jeffrey why not. Buy a lottery ticket, win the lottery, give half the money to @Francisco - i think he will consider it then :)

• @Francisco wont open source stallion, but maybe he will pony up something ROFL..

• Too late now, should of just rented an office for the summer, and got some free interns from the local universities. My paying job loves free interns, and they code up great stuff.

What's irritating is SolusVM is pretty nice, users like it, but the DNS solution just plain sucks and from what I can tell there's not much of a plugin system, or I would try building one that could interface into PowerDNS Hosted's API. What I have now is a solution inside WHMCS that works with cPanel DNS Only, but 3-4 VPS's can cost a pretty penny if you want reliable DNS servers.

A unified system that worked with cPanel & a VPS Control panel would be nice, DNS is mostly fire and forget, but still are more expensive than if I went with PowerDNS's hosted solution.

• And it was cvm.cryto.net :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I already tried to push stallion 2 as an open source project but the staff rejected the idea :P

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Ah, they failed to include it in their ovz/kvm hybrid kernel

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: staff rejected the idea

Staff are being short sited. As closed source it will cost you more dollars than SolusVM ever could have cost. I am not saying out of pocket dollars here, but going back to add this or that requires time, time that could have been used doing other things that did raise real dollars.

Having other eyes in the mix will add more features to it and make it a better project overall.

I'm sure I could go on listing other things, and others could join in, but in the end, it will be the most costly choice made.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@NinjaHawk said: BoxCtrl

But it's no longer open source? The website says it was sold to a third part company?

• TazTaz Member

@Amfy Read Subigos comment.

• TazTaz Member

@miTgiB Opensoucing means, any one can Read the codes (Hacker/Script kiddy) and might (!) try to play the system? May be that is the reason.

• subigosubigo Member

@miTgiB said: Staff are being short sited. As closed source it will cost you more dollars than SolusVM ever could have cost. I am not saying out of pocket dollars here, but going back to add this or that requires time, time that could have been used doing other things that did raise real dollars.

Having other eyes in the mix will add more features to it and make it a better project overall.

I'm sure I could go on listing other things, and others could join in, but in the end, it will be the most costly choice made.

Is their panel completely finished? I mean there's no SolusVM code left in there at all? I'm not a fan of SolusVM, but if they released something with even a few lines of SolusVM code still in there, they'd definitely be in front of a judge. Hell, even using the exact same database schema (or close) would be enough to go to court over.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Amfy said: The website says it was sold to a third part company?

Without it being forked, it would be as smart as running through the streets naked at some point.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@subigo said: Is their panel completely finished? I mean there's no SolusVM code left in there at all? I'm not a fan of SolusVM, but if they released something with even a few lines of SolusVM code still in there, they'd definitely be in front of a judge. Hell, even using the exact same database schema (or close) would be enough to go to court over.

Stallion 1 reuses the old old old solus interface and the same filenames. The database is mostly the same but I've gutted out a lot of useless stuff.

Stallion 2 is a complete redo to CodeIgniter. A lot of backend features that stallion 1 has won't be in stallion 2 as we found better ways of doing it or we just didn't see a need to write a full CRUD to manage the parts.

Things like nameservers & administrators are controlled by configuration files since we almost never make changes on there.

@miTgiB said: Staff are being short sited.

Remember, Nikki is our full time coder so when she isn't doing coding, she's not really doing much around our parts. I'm not saying that to be mean or anything, just Anthony has support handled with me helping some and Aldryic holds billing in order.

She's a good coder and while she argues with my choice of codeigniter, she's warming up to it slowly.

Once Dregond is done the new interface she can start working on it as she gets time.

Francisco

• debugdebug Member

I just started working on LowEndPanel a few days ago.

Thanked by 3Mon5t3r NateN34 Pats
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@debug said: I just started working on LowEndPanel a few days ago.

A panel that's gonna cost <7$ per month? Cool :P

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: Stallion 2 is a complete redo to CodeIgniter.

ewww.

• debugdebug Member

@LiquidHost yeah, a whole $0/month :P

• We would opensource ours, but since it requires much backend stuff from us it would be likely.... useless

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NinjaHawk said: @miTgiB Opensoucing means, any one can Read the codes (Hacker/Script kiddy) and might (!) try to play the system? May be that is the reason.

Security through obscurity is not security. 'Hiding vulnerabilities' has always been and will always be an invalid point (and I'm not going to rehash the whole reasoning as to why unless someone really doesn't know it).

@William said: We would opensource ours, but since it requires much backend stuff from us it would be likely.... useless

Not necessarily - it may be very useful as a starting point for other developers, for example, to fill in the missing bits. Or even just as an example of how to go about certain things.