Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solaris Zones/Containers VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solaris Zones/Containers VPS

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited May 2012 in General

Do you know any low end Solaris Zones/Containers provider?

Comments

• I heavily doubt it, Solaris is no longer updated and theres not much interest in Solaris.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

Oracle Solaris 11 was released on the beginning of this year and recently I've got few request regarding Java Web Application servers hosting. Beside this you can also run Linux (RedHat and CentOS) via BrandZ.

• @gbshouse said: Oracle Solaris 11 was released on the beginning of this year and recently I've got few request regarding Java Web Application servers hosting

Oh, I was looking at OpenSolaris. Sorry.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@gbshouse said: Do you know any low end Solaris Zones/Containers provider?

I've been trying to get something setup but I can't find a reliable (and free) Solaris distro.

I was thinking about buying some older Sun machine (got nice offer recently - in theory able to run few hundreds of VMs) but paying 1k per socket for Oracle support doesn't sound nice

• @gbshouse said: but paying 1k per socket for Oracle support doesn't sound nice

I may just be ignorant (probably), but what do you mean by "socket"?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Phisical cpu connected to the motherboard

• You could try BSD Jails.

• rds100rds100 Member

I wonder why nobody has offered UML based VMs yet.

• @rds100 said: I wonder why nobody has offered UML based VMs yet.

Performance.

• Linode actually started out by offering UML based containers

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member

@DaddyCheeseHosting interesting, didn't know that.

edited May 2012

@DimeCadmium - many vendors have dual CPU licensing model: per socket and per core (some CPUs [non x86] can have even 64 cores). Socket is a physical socket on motherboard or CPU card, core is core :) Imagine support price for 16 or 32 CPU (socket) machines :D

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

Ah, I wasn't sure if you were referring to CPU sockets or some other type :) that's not gonna be fun ;)

My dad used to work high up in IBM's CPU physical design team... had access to a like 256GB ram, 128 core machine or something like that (I don't remember, it was "insanely" high-specced though, to run design builds on I guess? not sure)... SO JELLY. And this was back a good 4 or 5 years ago probably, as well...

We have a graveyard of Sun machines at work but once OpenSolaris died, it's been hard to find a free alternative. :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

NetBSD!

I jest...

WebLogic/WebSphere on NetBSD ... sure :)

@raindog308 - PL?

Not sure what you're asking for.

Private Link?
    Polish Language?
    Pretty Lingerie?

@raindog308 said: Pretty Lingerie?

This is always interesting to watch :-)

• rds100rds100 Member

@prometeus how are you after the earthquake today? Hope everything is OK with you.

@raindog308 - "I jest..." sounds like Polish language

Thanked by 1raindog308

It's actually an Apple product.

edited May 2012

OK ... a little bit confusing name :) by the way I like your blog entry about Gun People :D

• hmm would be interesting, but I doubt anyone would be offering much here except spare capacity that has already been written off. Solaris virtualisation simply stopped being competitive compared to either Intel or P7 based VMs.

@rds100 said: how are you after the earthquake today? Hope everything is OK with you.

All is ok, thank you!

• "My dad used to work high up in IBM's CPU physical design team... had access to a like 256GB ram, 128 core machine or something like that "

I work on these. They are IBM P595's.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/systemp/highend/595/index.html

Only up to 64 cpu's though, but with simultaneous multi-threading (SMT) on AIX it would look like 128 cpu's to the OS. They can take up to a TB of RAM.

They are out with Power 7 chips now though with much higher density. I think they call 'em P795's now, and they can take up to 256 processors.

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: but once OpenSolaris died, it's been hard to find a free alternative

Debian has a 32/64bit-SPARC port.

@nabo said: Debian has a 32/64bit-SPARC port.

Thanks but I need Solaris. :(

• OpenIndiana, anyone? We're testing it for storage needs now (lot of Solaris 10 fileservers) because it has all the goodness of ZFS but without the fat of FUSE on Linux.

http://openindiana.org/