Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And here is why you should ALWAYS backup!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

And here is why you should ALWAYS backup!

TL;DR: A startup goes el cheapo on a $5 Digital Ocean droplet, hardware node has a RAID 5 dual drive failure, Startup loses VPS but has backups, gets $500 from Digital Ocean and still bitches about it.

We have recently launched Listboard.it on a single instance in DigitalOcean to start contacting people who had too many tabs opened on their browser and were interested on a solution. We received over 240 invitation requests and accepted some to start experimenting with it. Our active users were few so one instance was more than enough. 

[...]

Our server was dead. Just like that. 

Altough, quite nice of Digital Ocean to credit $500. They are not obligated to do so.

http://dfernandez.me/articles/digitalocean_lost_our_data/

Comments

• @Raymii said:

Wait! No Backups == $500!

• Oh lord, their shitty application hosted on a $5/mo VPS was down for six hours!

• Digital Ocean seem pretty keen to keep throwing money away...

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • When you have VC cash, it's fine to throw it away I guess? All I can say is good luck to DO, and I hope it works out, but that vc cash doesn't last forever and I suppose they are trying to hold onto customers with credits and promos for essentially free service - interesting.

Thanked by 2Raymii Zen
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

While the actual app idea is nice, this is also precisely why you should not trust "cloud services", I suppose they lost not only their own data, but data of their users as well. Does any of those users get to have some share of that $500 compensation? Nnnope, just "sucks to be them", they thought it'd be safe to upload their tabs to "THE CLOUD" but now they get to lose it, and as a bonus get to read a fun story how whom they trusted their data to, turned out to be utterly incompetent...

This should have been simply an app which you install on your own VPS or server, maybe even just a plugin to OwnCloud, and then you could decide yourself how often and what you backup.

Not relying on the provider who in turn relies on their another provider to keep the data safe.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • rm_ said: Not relying on the provider who in turn relies on their another provider to keep the data safe.

Quite well said... Quotation of the day....

Though they said, they had the backup, don't know the reality...

• DO getting some pretty bad publicity lately.

• @JahAGR said:
    DO getting some pretty bad publicity lately.

Like what?

• @JahAGR said:
    DO getting some pretty bad publicity lately.

Huh?

• JahAGRJahAGR Member
    edited November 2013

Raymii said: Like what?

Network problems in NYC2 datacenter after a scheduled upgrade. Quite a bit of downtime there. Not sure if I should have called it "bad publicity" really but there were a lot of irritated people in their IRC channel at least

Not that they deserve to be blamed for what happened with this Listboard site... that's pure negligence on the part of the owners

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited November 2013

Whats their server density? How many $500s did they hand out?

• they thought it'd be safe to upload their tabs to "THE CLOUD"

It probably would have been safe if they had uploaded it to an actual cloud provider who used SANs and offered failover, high availability, etc. Instead they made the mistake of uploading it to a VPS provider who uses RAID5 local storage and likes to throw around the term "cloud" as a marketing gimmick.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Should've got a backupsy.

• $500 for DO is worth the free advertising.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • i backup my data on my own pc.. end by deleteting it permanently.. soo sad..it is backup for my blog which has few hundreds entries.. Now, I started to use online backup.. now, I wouldnt delete my own backup.. :D

• i wonder how much do lavishes on youtube ads. Their ads are embedded in almost every youtube ads in my country.Mind you this has been going on for almost a year. i can even byhard their ads now.

• $500 credit?!?! Can you lose my data please?

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • What i hate about DO right now is sometime when i delete droplet it's not deleted. Tomorrow i check again and it's still there. Wtf?

• @budi1413 said:
    What i hate about DO right now is sometime when i delete droplet it's not deleted. Tomorrow i check again and it's still there. Wtf?

Same thing happened to me. But with a 16GB server, which they charged me for the time i supposedly "destroyed".

• Whenever I see 'cloud' mentioned I almost always see some discussion about not trusting it entirely and "its all on the internet, we all know how reliable THAT is" etc. As a new-un I think the terminology itself is throwing me off, is there no easy way to back up data off the cloud? Could someone point me to a few tutes too on how I'd go about doing this with a small nginx based server running a forum? I havent started anything yet but it sounds like putting a system in place before launch would be a good idea.

• There is a Nice extension for chrome which replaces the cloud with my butt..

Thanked by 1taronyu
  • DO was never cloud :) they store data on nodes, not on shared storage

• Well, according to some big name company, "cloud" means "VPS with hourly billing". The other features are irrelevant.
    Not that i agree with this definition.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

@dano said:
    When you have VC cash, it's fine to throw it away I guess?

Hopefully that's not their attitude indefinitely.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

@concerto49 said:
    $500 for DO is worth the free advertising.

@BrianHarrison said:
    Hopefully that's not their attitude indefinitely :/ VC money is precious resource.

It's not actually money, it's credit. They'll end up living in the gaps that other people left, all thin provisioned (to squeeze those hourly servers in)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Frost said: end up living in the gaps that other people left

Well said sir, I think that's a phrase we all need to reflect on in our daily life.

@Frost said:
    It's not actually money, it's credit. They'll end up living in the gaps that other people left, all thin provisioned (to squeeze those hourly servers in)

I thought we were referring to the venture capital investment in DigitalOcean. When you receive an investment from a venture capitalist--you receive money, not credit. The VC in return receives a share of ownership or any other special rights he/she may have negotiated. Venture capital isn't the same as a loan.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@BrianHarrison said:
    I thought we were referring to the venture capital investment in DigitalOcean. When you receive an investment from a venture capitalist--you receive money, not credit. The VC in return receives a share of ownership or any other special rights he/she may have negotiated. Venture capital isn't the same as a loan.

Venture capital can be invested in various forms, loans included, bond backed too.
    Venture capitalists put together a fund (many times they borrow those money, especially in times of low interest rates like now) with the purpose of maximizing return from their investments. The actual form in which they choose to invest is largely irrelevant, but they might take ownership too if they believe the company has potential and list it through an IPO later, but they can also do other ways, it is not set in stone, whatever fits the actual situation in the field.

@Maounique said:
    Venture capitalists put together a fund (many times they borrow those money, especially in times of low interest rates like now) with the purpose of maximizing return from their investments. The actual form in which they choose to invest is largely irrelevant, but they might take ownership too if they believe the company has potential and list it through an IPO later, but they can also do other ways, it is not set in stone, whatever fits the actual situation in the field.

What you're describing is more commonly called venture debt. Venture capital is most often provided in exchange for equity in the company.

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • backups should never been on the same HN in the first place.