Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN / Squid / PS3 inquiry - and setup questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN / Squid / PS3 inquiry - and setup questions

BoGsBoGs Member
edited February 2012 in General

My home network is as follows:

Internet
|
TomatoUSB router
|------------------------|-------------------|
PS3 Home Computer Home Server

All the three computers connect to the internet like no ones business. I am looking to setup a permanent openvpn connection for my PS3. I cannot install openvpn on the PS3, was wondering if any of you have knowledge on tutorials to setup a squid http proxy on HomeServer and setup HTTP proxy on PS3 to that to essentially get:

Internet
|
TomatoUSB router
|-----------------------|
Home Computer Home Server
|
PS3

I have setup many openvpn clients on linux so that would not be a problem for Home Server just wondering if there is anything tricky with HomeServer ( only one ethernet jack - can add more if required)

I found this today do not know if it will work:

http://wiki.shenhaoyu.com/doku.php?id=debian:secure_proxy_using_openvpn_and_squid

Comments

• isn't it easier if you just set openvpn on your tomato router and then use ps3's wifi to connect to the router?

problem solved.

• @cosmicgate said: isn't it easier if you just set openvpn on your tomato router and then use ps3's wifi to connect to the router?

Agree, that's how I do it n_n

• would that not make all connections go through the openvpn, and I only want the ps3 to go through it.

• You could get a 2nd router that supports OpenWRT, flash Openwrt onto it, set it up to do your openvpn stuff and then put it between your PS3 and current router.

• Ah ok so tomato router is similar to OpenWRT! Can you set up a vlan on one of your routers ethernet ports for the PS3 and just have that routed over the vpn? If its connecting over wifi, set up a 2nd ssid that's in the vpn vlan.