Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Have A Home Server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do You Have A Home Server?

Comments

• Yes, it hosts my XBMC library and my SickBeard, CouchPotato and Headphones files.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650
    RAM: 2x2GB DDR3
    HDD: 1x 500GB, 2x1TB
    Uplink: 1Gbit uplink
    ISP: UPC 120Mb/10Mb

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

LoL, I forgot to include my HP 2133 or Synology DS110j...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Mine's quite lame:

• AMD 64 single core
    • 512MB RAM
    • 80GB IDE harddrive
    • Acer "Ferrari" laptop
    • 24x CDROM, DVD reader (don't think it writes DVD's)

It was my 2nd laptop ever and now is just used for any stallion development I want to get done. It's a sluggish laptop though so i'm probably going to just move it to a local vmware instance.

Francisco

@liam said: Home connection? How much are you paying for that?

That'd be so awesome.

Francisco

• I live in the middle of no where, in lucky to get 7Mbps down. I was referring to the uplink to my home network.

Half the time my 3G is faster then my home DSL, I get around 12Mbpa down and 4Mbps up on HSPA+

@liam said: We were paying like £44 ($65) for 1mb up (250-500kbps) and 10 down (8-10mbps) up until autumn.

In Canada you can get on with shaw and get a pretty solid deal. I'm paying $50/m for 50mbit/5mbit and 400GB/m of usage.

You can actually get a 100mbit/15Mbit fully unmetered plan for ~$120/m.

Francisco

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited February 2012

@Daniel said: I live in the middle of no where, in lucky to get 7Mbps down

You can still be lucky about that, at my old place i got 1Mbps down/128 kbit up
    Now i have cable internet 128/5mbit unlimited for 45€/month (i download around 500gb-1tb every month)

@liam said: Shaw is pretty bad quality if i recall correctly. We got upgraded to 32mbit/4mbit for free though. We just had the same old plan which hadn't been changed since 1995 or something.

they've been good in victoria thankfully :)

Can't speak for the rest though.

• sturdyvpssturdyvps Member
    edited February 2012

Well, i've got 7 servers :)

Its a mix of 2 HP, 1 Dell, 1 IBM, 3 custom made ones. All of them have 4GB RAM, 2 x250GB Hard Disk, RAID 1, Quad Core processors.
    The reason i have so many servers is that some of them are for testing OpenVZ patches, any new services i may offer in the future so all 7 of them are being used for something.

• I have a hp proliant dl380 g3 but I hardly run it because its sooooo noisy and draws about 500w power

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

OMG, that is some hefty internet bill... I remember the times I had a leased line with 4K i was sharing with the neighbourhood and which costed 3 times more than 512/256 in Sweden...
    Probably such situations spawned the current huge competition that allows for a real synchronous 10-20 mb for 10 euro (advertised as 100 mb tho...)
    I live in an old (historic) part of the town and I can still get 10-15 providers if I search well at prices ranging from 10 to 75 Euro for a 100 mb line, with different guarantees and real speeds, of course...
    http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/ That doesnt show the price, tho...

"I have a hp proliant dl380 g3 but I hardly run it because its sooooo noisy and draws about 500w power"
    I really dont understand ppl that have so many energy hungry machines at home, one main reason for which I use VPSes is that the energy bill is higher than most LEBs cost...
    M

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited February 2012

HDD Space? 80GB (Going to get 4TB HDD)
    RAM? 512MB
    Processor? P4
    Operating System? Debian Linux 4.0
    Uptime? 122 days
    Location? In the roof.

• Virginmedia UK, 100Mbit broadband for like £30 / £40 a Month. Unlimited Bandwidth(It's actually unmetered).

@Francisco said: In Canada you can get on with shaw and get a pretty solid deal. I'm paying $50/m for 50mbit/5mbit and 400GB/m of usage.

You can actually get a 100mbit/15Mbit fully unmetered plan for ~$120/m.

Francisco

• HDD Space? 8GB CF
    ISP? AT&T
    RAM? 64MB
    Processor? 133 mhz 486
    Computer Model? Soekris net-4521
    Operating System? OpenBSD 5.0
    Uptime? 6:19AM up 16 days, 17:13, 1 user, load averages: 0.12, 0.13, 0.16
    Location? On windows ledge.

• @charliecron lol, what do you use that for?

• Just a secure way to get into my home network, from work. It runs ddclient, denyhosts. Also keep an screen-irssi running to chat with Atari 8-bit folks on irc. It also runs an atari800 emulator in ncurses mode.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Cool, one day I will put up an old project of mine, Z80 hosting. Dont laugh, I am serious.
    M

• Your not the only one who has thought of that sort of thing :)

• I currently have 2 machines running home servers, 1 for a media center, the other running 2 killing floor servers and whatever else I feel like running.
    HDD Space: 320GB
    ISP: StarHub Cable Vision Ltd
    RAM: 2GB
    Processor: model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N550 @ 1.50GHz
    Computer Model: Asus 1015PEM
    Operating System: CentOS 6.2
    Uptime: root@applejack [~]# uptime
    20:33:03 up 3 days, 8 min, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.03

And the other one:
    HDD Space: 60GB
    RAM: 512MB
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4M 2.4GHz
    Computer Model: Unknown.
    Operating System: Debian
    Uptime: 20:34:01 up 14 days, 12 mins, 1 user

• My home server is brand new and runs Debian 6 on a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard with Celeron CPU G540 @ 2.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD and a 2TB HD. It runs kvm with virtual machines for fileserver, mailserver, squeezeserver, trac, webserver and some more.

The uptime is at the moment 3 days.

I also have a server I use for storing backups. This server is booted each night by WOL and the data from the virtual machines is rsynced to it.

• I got 35mbps down, 80mbps up (fibre) at home for like 30euro/month :) love NL

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@Francisco said: 400GB/m of usage

OMG I would cry! The last time I used less than 400GB was April 2011. One of the downsides to getting rid of cable TV. :(

@Maounique said: I really dont understand ppl that have so many energy hungry machines at home

+1 My whole network (server, NAS, 2 routers, external USB drive, and modem) cost me about $30/year for 24x7 access. I used to have a 8-core AMD Opteron doing the same thing my Intel Atom does but it was costing me about $15/month to run. Not to mention noise is a huge factor for me since my whole network is under my bed so silence really is golden. :)

• @KuJoe said: IR jealous! What kind of drives? We just got rid of a bunch of 2TB Samsungs because the IO was horrible in RAID50 no matter what RAID controller we used. :(

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.75395 s, 159 MB/s

It is a mix of Hitachi DeathStar 7K's and Samsung HD204UI all hanging from a 3ware 9690SA-4i and 2 Chenbro SAS expanders. I created 4 8 drive raid6 arrays on the 3ware then used mdadm to raid0 them all, and at the time, smartctl had just added a new feature to mess with the S.M.A.R.T. settings, so compiled from source and on boot, added the following to /etc/rc.local to set all the drives to ignore errors after 7 seconds to avoid timing out of the array as is common when using desktop drives with a hardware raid card.

smartctl -d 3ware,8 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,9 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,10 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,11 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,12 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,30 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,31 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,32 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,33 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,34 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,35 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,36 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,37 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,38 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;
    smartctl -d 3ware,39 -l scterc,70,70 /dev/twa0;

• @KuJoe said: Not to mention noise is a huge factor for me

Low rpm high cfm fans for the win! I really need to get a couple more of those fans for my switch, and old Dell 5324 is the only thing on my network that is audible.

@KuJoe said: OMG I would cry! The last time I used less than 400GB was April 2011. One of the downsides to getting rid of cable TV. :(

Well, Shaw auto upgrades your plan to the next level up when you run out of BW so the overages are very reasonable.

Worst case, if you're riding your line 24/7, you'll be out $120/m.

Francisco

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited February 2012

[@Maounique said]: I really dont understand ppl that have so many energy hungry machines at home

Wondering about the same thing here. I am thinking about putting a few Raspberry Pi's at home, and maybe an old 3ghz pentium 4 HP machine otherwise. Or dualcore.
    Anybody knows how much energy a desktop pc consumes? HP office machine.

• @djvdorp said: Wondering about the same thing here. I am thinking about putting a few Raspberry Pi's at home, and maybe an old 3ghz pentium 4 HP machine otherwise. Or dualcore.

Anybody knows how much energy a desktop pc consumes? HP office machine.

Those old P4's are the worse energy hogs. You can get a modern E3 quad core xeon server with several disks and it will consume half of the power that the Pentium 4 needs and yet will be MUCH faster.

Typical P4's use over 100 watts, Core2Duo's average 65-100 depending on specs from my experience and my killawatt.

• @Francisco said: 400GB/m of usage

With comcast I get 250GB/m of usage 0.o

• I have 3 P4s and a AMD Pheneom II X6 on a UPS, and just one of the P4s use over twice the power of the X6.

• I have my old Pentium 4 Desktop lying around in my bedroom, if I could get my hands on a VERY long Ethernet cable that I could somehow get under our carpet, I would turn that into a server.. Or I could possibly use a supported Wireless USB Adaptor that is supported out of the box with Crunchbang Linux?