Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM.Net - KVM & OpenVZ Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM.Net - KVM & OpenVZ Review

2»

Comments

• @birdie25 said: BuyVM in the EU would be best.

Yep.

• @AverageGuy said: Guess I gotta go somewhere else. :(

I'm pretty sure Fran has upcoming stock for his packages; also heard that Aldryic announces any available stock in IRC on Fridays.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AverageGuy said: Too good. BuyVM says they are out of stock on all lower end options. E. g. 128 256 and 512 openvz and 128 256 and 512 kvm. In fact, I just went back to see what if anything was available. Nothing in the kvm or openvz offerings is available. They all say out of stock.

Guess I gotta go somewhere else. :(

It's on the way :) We'll have stock for all plans.

Francisco

• vtwvtw Member

As an intermediate noob using their 128 OpenVZ, here is what I have to say about BuyVM and my first LEB experiences:
    -BuyVM is a name you keep hearing about when you first learn about and look for LEBs. I got sucked into BuyVM's 128 and luckily stock arrived within 24 hours of my decision. Because I'm a big cheapo, I searched far and wide for the cheapest LEBs that were somewhat reliable. I found less than ten hosts that were around this level of RAM for $. I suspect BuyVM was one of the two safest choices.
    -The BuyVM community is one of its biggest strengths. Even so, I wouldn't strictly expect service from it, and asking for help on non-service-related issues is a bit of a hit and miss. You might also get the impression that their IRC channel is beguiling to their staff, at the cost of waiting a bit longer for a ticket response. (I realise that some people on this forum get all 'ragey' over ... stuff - well I'm just stating my observations here, please don't take it as picking apart.)
    -In my experience, I can't say the ticket responses have been great, technically or in attitude. They've been satisfactory, but as a noob who can't confidently distinguish between my problem and theirs, I certainly haven't felt "welcome" to ask through tickets. (Ironic because they say to do things through tickets when you bring up problems in chat and forums. Publicly definitely has some edge. I'm also not so comfortable with the concept that it's the responsibility of the customer to inform the provider of any problems if they want it to be corrected, given the above).
    -I am guessing, relative to other hosting providers, BuyVM is one of the fewer ones that has a 1.0+ GB/s network at its 128 MB price level. I don't want to misstate the actual capacity, but some staff member showed me that it normally accommodates (no speed limit) all of the traffic demands of customers.
    -Performance: I first assumed BuyVM must have good performance to have its reputation. Well actually, I haven't had a VPS with lower performance (see 128 MB OpenVZ benchmark at http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/buyvm-kvm-birthday-sale-25year-128mb-in-san-jose/ ). It hasn't affected my limited usage.
    -There has been one major disappointment since around February 19. They did some maintenance, and now memory does not serve me well. One of the biggest assets to me was being able to use Fedora and yum update without restriction. Now I can't. You could say "that's what you get for having only 256 MB (burstable)" but to me that means I no longer get the bargain that I can't get elsewhere (in fact I have). Memory bugs since then have disrupted my confidence, and I'm quite tempted to sell now -- I've been mostly idle for almost 2 months; there were bugs introduced before then, and there are bugs now. Maybe I shouldn't say this if I want to sell for more than what I paid :P

• @vtw

Nice review.
    About the memory, what I guess, is that you were probably moved to another node with a different operating system which does memory management in a different way. Also, yum is a memory eater. You can find some tips about how to reduce its memory usage.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vtw - We rolled some nodes with 2.6.32 but had to roll back to 2.6.18 since it was simply too unstable :(

If you're having some off performance by all means log a ticket. Sometimes it'll be an abusive user or even just incorrect beancounters in place.

If you have a ticket you felt we were mean in, by all means pm me the ticket ID's so I can personally check 'em :)

Francisco