Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End VPS Offer Posting Rules (Update 2012) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End VPS Offer Posting Rules (Update 2012)

Comments

• GaryGary Member

I see the first post mentions monthly billing and yearly billing at certain price points. What about quarterly? There are quite a few that require quarterly payments.

I'd like to see a test file from all providers too, but then they'll just go and make sure that the test VPS is on the node with the lowest load...

If you can have them fill out a standard form, some of the legwork you do, like checking if they're behind whois protection, when the domain was registered, if it has adjacent nameservers etc, can probably be automated.

• I like the standard form. A standardized posting results in a better apples to apples comparison.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited July 2011

I'm going to make what's probably an unpopular suggestion here but it's not been suggested yet:

Let's make it offer free and not allow them. Considering 99% of the ones listed here were above the price range of a LEB and/or where made from a newly created sock puppet user account, may be something to consider.

Having a link to the Contact/About page on the main site where it states the correct method of making an offer (ie Contact LEA) should also be done.

• GaryGary Member

Well I don't see the problem with allowing users to post offers they find, and if we're going to allow that, there's going to be sock puppetry. If there's going to be sock puppetry, we may as well allow the providers to post the offers by themselves, but with strict rules.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited July 2011

@drmike The only flaw I see with your suggestion is LEA has said he would like to cherry pick the offers from here to feature on LEB

• @drmike @miTgiB Indeed. One of the reasons of a low end offer forum is because I myself is not that scalable. Been very busy lately and I only want to post 1-2 offers per day max. However I have been flooded with requests, repeated requests, emails asking why their offers haven't been made on the blog, and emails saying my delays of listing their offer is jeopardising their business! LOL

• drmikedrmike Member

Could always pull a (Oh what the heck is that index site. I forget the name. Yahoo uses them and Google supported them for a bit.) where if you email them asking where their listing is, they get dropped to the end of the list. :)

• jhjh Member

Why not be more selective and reject offers from companies with poor reputations for example?

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited July 2011

jtodd said: Why not be more selective and reject offers from companies with poor reputations for example?

Could force anyone posting to post a company registration proof from the CoC/equivalent, but anything past that is kinda subjective/relative

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I still like this idea: http://www.lowendtalk.com/questions/12173/new-leb-feature-suggestion-deadpool-probability

Maybe a way to incorporate that idea into the offers section?

• ODP - Open Directory Project

That's the name of the folks I was thinking of.

• jhjh Member

Could someone let me know why my offer thread was removed?

"Please be informative in your offers. Please list out basic specifications (amount of memory, storage space, monthly data/bandwidth and port speed), virtualization method (Xen, OpenVZ, KVM, etc), data center location and a test IP would be ideal."

This is my guess jtodd.

• @jtodd -- I think with a single link to your website is not something informative and allows the members here to discuss your offerings.

• jhjh Member

No worries. I thought the link was best as it has everything nicely presented there, but I'll write out a proper ad for the forum :)

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

+1 for any offer outside of the normal LEA requirements to be deleted on sight. :)

edit: That's not directed towards jtodd. Just saying...

• Question: I had 100 karma and lots of posts and membership days on the old OSQA. Can I pst a free offer aswell?

• Discussion threads that do not conform to the rules will be deleted

Just to clarify since some forums don't allow this but if we see issues or concerns (or downright fraud) with an offer, we're allowed to point that out, right?

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

This is a great way for I think for providers to be listed, as in my opinion LEB was getting loaded with new providers that may eventually go to the dead pool or the offers were not that great. I think LEB should be reserved for top hosts that have been around for awhile so you know your getting a bang for your buck

I think somebody else mentioned it already somewhere, but I like the idea of providers posting here and LEA picking what he decides to be LEB-worthy.

• Will that be fine to just give a direct link towards cart for special offers ?

thanks

• jhjh Member

No, LEA removed my post for doing something similar.

• I think LEA wants some details included with offers. May want to review the first post in this thread:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1/low-end-vps-offer-posting-rules/p1

I know that I hate seeing just a link into the ordering page. Things like SLA and ToS and AUPs and GHTs and JJJ and WERs concern me.

• Following the rules that LEA provided, whats your opinion on using a template for the offers. For example:

• Company name and website: LEB Example
    • Plan name:
    • Plan details:

• Price and period(month, quarter, 6 months, 1 year)
      • Direct signup link
      • Virtualization
      • Memory (Guarantee/burst or guarantee/swap)
      • Cpu (equal share, guarantee, number of cores, etc...)
      • Storage
      • Data transfer and port speed
      • Control Panel (HyperVM, SolusVM, custom made, etc)
      • IP (ipv4 and/or ipv6)
      • Extra features inclueded (backups, managment, etc)
      • Server Location
      • Test IP
      • Download test
    • SLA if aplicable

• Payment gateways available (paypal, alipay, cc)
    • Terms Of Service page link
    • Acceptable Use Policy page link
  • @DR If I give all details to plan here, but a link to cart, not like just giving away a link to cart with no details in here.

Regards

• @WebsHosting -- a link to your cart is okay as long as you provide sufficient details like thekreek has mentioned. Most people just want an informative post to help them making purchase decisions, rather than starting a dialogue with the providers here to suck all the details out.

• @LowEndAdmin Thanks ! That's what I'm trying to learn.

• Maximum 1 post per provider per 14 days

Just had a thought. That may need to be clarified as some providers have multiple names and dba's.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited August 2011

Maybe for offers from companies from the EU we could add the following:

Make sure the offer does not violate:

• Art 4 (1) EU Directive 1997/7/EC, esp. lit. c): "[...] the consumer shall be provided with the following information: [...] (c) the price of the goods or services including all taxes; [...]"
    • Art 6 (1) EU Directive 1997/7/EU: "For any distance contract the consumer shall have a period of at least seven working days in which to withdraw from the contact without penalty and without giving any reason."

I've seen this being violated lately by quite a few offers on LEB.com from companies residing in the EU. It is applicable law and it should be self-evident for the respective companies to stick to that and to not violate it with their ToS.

• @skagerrak that doesn't stop LEA from posting. Just something for the rest of us to check and report. Some US providers (ie Yardvps) think they're above the law anyway.