Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new low end VPS project by 96MB.com - Low End Press - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A new low end VPS project by 96MB.com - Low End Press

2»

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@96mb said: Anyone knows a really low end VPS provider in NL?

@VPSSLIM

@rm_ said: Remove it and make the site directly accessible, so that people can see the performance of the LowEndVPS itself (and of the reverse proxy), not of CloudFlare's powerful worldwide CDN.

Low end spirit is doing as much as you can with the least money, cloudflare is free and better than having your own single-homed reverse proxy which is prone to failure and causes the entire site to go down if it's down.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@vanarp

The next location is looking like Atlanta USA right now.

Yes the requests hit a database indeed.

I will probably stick at 64mb for now, with this service there will never be external IPv4 available it is just not cost effective and it sort of defeats the object.

I want to stress though this does not prevent you from hosting any sites, or services on IPv4 and you can still access things over IPv4.

I think I need to make a video on how things work :)

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@rm_ said: Sorry but using CloudFlare is cheating :)

Remove it and make the site directly accessible, so that people can see the performance of the LowEndVPS itself (and of the reverse proxy), not of CloudFlare's powerful worldwide CDN.
    Sure you would use CF on a random regular site, but if you make a site specifically to make a point of "look how well everything runs on just 64MB of RAM", I think you need to show it w/o CF.

With a whole morning of troubleshooting, there is no more Cloudflare and no more reverse proxy, @AnthonySmith has helped me to set up the things needed and it is now using @gbshouse Rage4 for DNS. :)

Enjoy people, and let me know if anything falls apart.

And just a quick video I made (very quick) showing the basics of how this works (very basic)

• @96mb hostedmunin.com :) ?

• 96mb96mb Member

@djvdorp said: @96mb hostedmunin.com :) ?

Right now I am running the munin node on localhost and I think it is OK so far, but if it uses too much resources then yes I'll definitely consider use hostedmunin.

• @djvdorp said: @96mb hostedmunin.com :) ?

Using it, its awesome!

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith said: And just a quick video I made (very quick) showing the basics of how this works (very basic)

Smart way to offer lowend VPSes (only used as HTTP servers) with only 1 public IPv4 per node.

• 96mb96mb Member

@Raymii said: Using it, its awesome!

Just looked into it, seems not to be a lot of work, however the tricky part is again to have munin to access the munin port externally, which I guess would only be possible for IPv6 in this case.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You got 20 tcp and udp ports, is that enough?
    On the negative side I'm not sure a hosted solution will make changes for one user.

• 96mb96mb Member

@MikHo said: You got 20 tcp and udp ports, is that enough?

Except none is that Munin port :) And I don't think HostedMunin will allow me to give them another port for them to pull the data.

Thought so :(

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@MikHo said: Thought so :(

But I have dedicated IPv6, I'll try to see if HostedMunin could pull the data from IPv6 only. In any case you can see the Munin at http://mon.lowendpress.com (hosted on the VPS itself).

• 96mb96mb Member

@MikHo said: Thought so :(

Turns out I was wrong, they do allow specific ports, now you can also see the munin graphs here:

https://hostedmunin.com/munin/213.163.67.24-11705/

@96mb said: Turns out I was wrong, they do allow specific ports, now you can also see the munin graphs here:

yeah :)

I just released 10 more of these due to a gazzillion batrillion emails etc requesting them.

• shoudld i change the mysql server port to make it work or i did ruined the my.conf accidentally :)

If you are only connecting localy theres no need to change ports.
    Only if you need to connect remote.

• thanks mikho, :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@MikHo said: If you are only connecting localy theres no need to change ports.

Only if you need to connect remote.

Yes, @tridinebandim, for anything locally (or within the local network), you can use any port if you like, but for anything external you will have to use the port range you are assigned to, which was mainly the reason why I had to ditch Wordpress since it supports poorly for installations that does not run on Port 80.

• @96mb @AnthonySmith

I'm sorry to bump this thread but I'm having a little question and there isn't a contact option on the site.

Is it possible to use vhosts without any interaction on your side? (with ipv4) because you are using haproxy and as far as I know you will have to enter my domain name to create a proper redirect.

@taronyu no problem, and yes it possible but I do need to create reverse proxy entries for each vhost also (which is fine)

For future reference: http://forum.lowendspirit.com if you need to know anything like this I check it all day :)

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited March 2013

@AnthonySmith

I'm to lazy to register a account for a single question.

Also knowing you need to edit the config is a problem for me. I don't think you like to edit several domains each day :P

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@taronyu said: Also knowing you need to edit the config is a problem for me. I don't think you like to edit several domains each day :P

You can always set up your own reverse proxy listening on port 80 and forward the requests to the respective port. But that would require another VPS with public IPv4 though.