Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro

Comments

• I have OCZ Agility 3 120gbs Also, even though i haven't had any issues. I wouldn't toss them into a server, 830 FTW.

• @herbyscrub said: The non-pro version of the 840 is very budget as well and does not perform particularly well. Best bet is probably to stick with the 830 for now.

The regular 840 has faster sequential read, random write, random read than the 830 though.

• 840 by far.

OCZ is junk.

• Okay I've decided to go with the 840s and will buy a few Vectors just for the thrills and testing purposes. I'll put some benchmarks on LET once they come in and I have time.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Didn't get a notification because I'm @Nick_A not @ramnode :P

I love Samsungs. Haven't used anything other than Samsungs or Intels extensively. I'd love to have a larger, cheaper option than what I use, but reliability is a huge issue for me. That's why, now that 830s seem to be in short supply, I've been grabbing some 840 pros rather than get larger OCZ drives.

• @Nick_A: What model of Intel drive?

• havent tried the vectors and 840 but ive got at least 5 of the ocz vertex 4. afer 6 months theyre still running strong. i think most of the bad ocz reviews were from prodzcts prior to the vertex 4

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Damian said: @Nick_A: What model of Intel drive?

320s mostly.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited December 2012

I won't touch anything OCZ with a 10ft. pole when I need reliability.

They probably have the worst reputation among all the SSD manufacturers now.

• @Nick_A said: I love Samsungs. Haven't used anything other than Samsungs or Intels extensively. I'd love to have a larger, cheaper option than what I use, but reliability is a huge issue for me. That's why, now that 830s seem to be in short supply, I've been grabbing some 840 pros rather than get larger OCZ drives.

Do you think all three are very reliable for 24/7 use as cache?

• Intel 320's seem to be a little more expensive but do have 5 year warranty, I don't see any warranty for the 840 pro's.

PS: This discussion will never end

• Intel 320 is old and slow. Probably very reliable though.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@rds100 said: slow

Just looked it up, random write IOPS are horrible for SSD being

• OCZ has a horrible reputation and I would never touch them again (I own a couple that I had to RMA)

Intel and Samsung FTW, only way to go.

I have some Samsung 840 Pro's in my workstation and just love them.

• Just an update for you guys.

Decided to buy a bunch of Samsung 840 Pros. They've been working extremely well so far, no failures as of yet and are just rock solid. So far the only SSDs that I've had fail are Mushkin ones.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@BronzeByte said: Intel 320's seem to be a little more expensive but do have 5 year warranty

More expensive? Do they still sell them? I think that you're talking about excellent Intel 520 (or maybe Intel 330?) not old 320.

• @Brandon said: Decided to buy a bunch of Samsung 840 Pros. They've been working extremely well so far, no failures as of yet and are just rock solid. So far the only SSDs that I've had fail are Mushkin ones.

Just don't use them in CacheCade if you've been following the WHT threads.

The other thing is they do have a large DRAM buffer/cache, so if there's a power outage there can be issues. Sandforce based drives, e.g. Intel 520 won't have this problem.

• The Vector is the first drive OCZ have developed completely in house.

Signs are that the Vector fixes their previous mistakes, but only time will tell.

• i have a few ocz i can vouch tha ocz has been really solid after the company acquired ndilinx. The vector is really solid and the bad reviews are obviously from people that havent own one themselves.( the vertex 3 below were really bad drives though)

• @cosmicgate sums it up.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

My provider just sells Kingston and Adata... any review on them?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@netomx Kingston would be the better choice.

• Crucial m4 256G model are neatly priced.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited February 2013

I like the 840 / 840 Pros

http://mcserve.rs/xP1a

• I built my new PC with OCZ Vector 3 last August 2012, still in good shape. Gaming is superb :D

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Got an OCZ in my home PC. Works fine, use it for OS and software only.

• zserozsero Member
    edited March 2013

Don't buy Crucial, my M4 just went crazy in my laptop after 1 year of stable working. Reading some files started disappearing/locking up the system, and random system halts started happening. After calling Crucial support for an RMA, I explained to them on the phone, and they answer was the most surprising:

• "Sir, so files are disappearing/not opening, operating system freezes/halts/restarts? Yes, that's perfectly normal with an SSD!"
    • "Are you joking?"
    • "No sir, what you need to do is to let the drive recover itself. Leave it powered on for 12 hours, with power connected but with no SATA cable attached".
    • "I'm using it in a laptop"
    • "Sir, in this case, you need to log into BIOS and leave the computer running for 12 hours".
    • "So I cannot exchange it by an RMA?"
    • "No, these things are perfectly normal with an SSD!"

So what I did, was I ordered a Samsung 840 250 GB non-pro, copied the files which I could read, recovered the others from backup/dropbox, reinstalled OS and sold the Crucial after a Parted Magic / Internal Secure Erase.

So that about Crucial's reliability. And they were one of the recommended ones along with Intel and Samsung. OCZ, I would never touch.

There are only two brands I'd consider for SSDs:
    Samsung or Intel.

I absolutely prefer the Samsung. Look at these reviews from Anandtech, they are one of the very few review sites who properly understand SSDs and knows how to make reviews about them:
    laptop / workstation workload: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/266
    server workload: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/260

@cosmicgate said: i have a few ocz i can vouch tha ocz has been really solid after the company acquired ndilinx. The vector is really solid and the bad reviews are obviously from people that havent own one themselves.( the vertex 3 below were really bad drives though)

If this is the case, then why are their forums still full of BSOD-after-update, random-freezes, update-problem, 3 page long guide how to make a secure erase, you-have-to-clear-CMOS, etc. threads? Companies don't change from one day to another.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited March 2013

@mnpeep said: I like the 840 / 840 Pros

http://mcserve.rs/xP1a

Reddit.

• If we're talking about SSDs to avoid ... avoid Mushkin at all costs! Not worth it and they're the only failures I've had so far.

• @Brandon said: Reddit.

Yes, that was my thread ;)