Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[How To] Install NewzNab on Ubuntu 12.04 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[How To] Install NewzNab on Ubuntu 12.04

2»

Comments

• @djvdorp said: The 16USD for the plus version (one off fee) wouldnt be the problem for me if it could replace nzbmatrix and such in my sickbeard ea :P

I took a gamble on it and it's paid off, tons of releases after I paid up - looks like it's the regex database that comes with the paid version that makes the difference, as the older one in the free version's no good at matching up the newer releases. It's going to take a long time for the initial indexing though (even going back 10 days as a test means upto 2 million binaries to process in some groups), I'm not sure how far back I actually want to start now.

• @Nekki said: It's going to take a long time for the initial indexing though

I've read somewhere that they (the NN devs) provide a downloadable database for that, IIRC you need to join their IRC and ask them

• Been looking into running this but does anyone have any figures regarding usage/resources? From what i gather it's pretty intensive during indexing and not something that's going to run well on a 128mb vps.

Also, what's the stance on using Newznab with a LEB provider? I'm assuming, even if it was private/restricted access (to one or two users), it'd be against most providers TOS.

Another Newznab tutorial - http://newznab.readthedocs.org/en/latest/guides/install_ubuntu-11.10/

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I've read somewhere that they (the NN devs) provide a downloadable database for that, IIRC you need to join their IRC and ask them

There's a slightly cryptic comment about joining IRC to get your index built quickly, I presume that's what's alluded to.

@Dom said: Been looking into running this but does anyone have any figures regarding usage/resources? From what i gather it's pretty intensive during indexing and not something that's going to run well on a 128mb vps.

The documentation states that there needs to be 256MB available to PHP as a minimum, so I guess realistically you're looking at a 512MB VPS most likely.

@Dom said: lso, what's the stance on using Newznab with a LEB provider? I'm assuming, even if it was private/restricted access (to one or two users), it'd be against most providers TOS.

My guess is that most won't be too happy with it, especially if you're running a public instance. Given some of the conversations recently about providers disallowing even legal activities if it could get them into trouble, you'd be better off asking before buying. BuyVM are probably OK, and if you let them know what you're doing in advance, they'll probably stick you on a Canadian IP.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Freek - maybe instead of using Percona repos for lenny use those for precise

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 1C4CBDCDCD2EFD2A
    gpg -a --export CD2EFD2A | apt-key add -

if [ -f "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/percona.list" ]; then
    echo "Percona repository list exists ... skiping";
    else
    echo "deb http://repo.percona.com/apt precise main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/percona.list
    echo "deb-src http://repo.percona.com/apt precise main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/percona.list
    fi;

• @gbshouse said: @Freek - maybe instead of using Percona repos for lenny use those for precise

Crap, good one. How do I fix this error on my already live installation? I installed Percona Lenny on Precise...

• I finally got it working with the + version .... and its indexing, but all the NZB's I produce are empty :(

• @nikc said: I finally got it working with the + version .... and its indexing, but all the NZB's I produce are empty :(

Mine's working fine since upgrading to plus, the odd issue with a couple of groups aside. How do you mean the NZB's are empty, nothing downloads? If so, could be the items you're downloading have been DCMA'd and the parts removed.

• when i click download NZB, it just takes me to a blank web page, and when i select multiple NZB's then chose download NZB's I get an empty zip file.

• That's odd - have you changed the location nn+ saves the nzbnfiles to and not changed that folder's permissions or something like that?

• Running in VMWare, after step 5 I get a kernel panic. I went back to the old kernel by scrolling down through the grub menu. Then I logged in and ran "apt-get remove 3.2.0-34", deleted all the 3.2.0-34 files in /boot, and ran "update-grub".

• Minstall tries to upgrade your kernel for no reason, yes.

If you know how to setup your own webserver, skip it. It's not rocket science ;)

• Is there any way to slow down the indexing? I have a 256mb being unused right now. Might help if you aren't indexing all groups.

Too bad nzbmatrix is gone. Just wish there was an easier way to get into dognzb or some of the other privates.

• @Fizeau said: Too bad nzbmatrix is gone. Just wish there was an easier way to get into dognzb or some of the other privates.

Apparently the chances of getting into any of the closed sites are nil at the moment, they're completely shutdown to new users. TBH, I've quite enjoyed putting together my own and working out what groups to index and what not to. Backfiling the groups is a real pain, but it'll be worth it in the end.

• @Nekki said: Apparently the chances of getting into any of the closed sites are nil at the moment, they're completely shutdown to new users. TBH, I've quite enjoyed putting together my own and working out what groups to index and what not to. Backfiling the groups is a real pain, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Well thanks, wish me luck! :) I might look into something like ulimit to try and limit the processses memory usage. Maybe can slow it down a bit as to not overwhelm!

• @Fizeau You could try setting the memory_limit value in PHP to 256M instead of -1. You could also try reducing the number of headers downloaded simultaneously from 20k to somewhere between 10k & 15k.

• I'm going to rewrite this tutorial this weekend. Getting lots of mails regarding the minstall part. I will also include some more steps what to do afterwards such as cron jobs etc.

• What workload will the Newznab database typically process? OLTP (general-purpose transactional, web application), OLAP (data warehousing, analytics, business intelligence), or read-mostly (forums, blogs, static data)?

• @Freek said: I'm going to rewrite this tutorial this weekend. Getting lots of mails regarding the minstall part. I will also include some more steps what to do afterwards such as cron jobs etc.

Did you ever re-write it ?

• @nikc said: Did you ever re-write it ?

No, not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I will try and see if I have time next week, but I can't make any promises. As we speak I'm having issues with my newznab installation as well.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited January 2013

Please stop bumping this thread guys, every time it's on the frontpage i get a ton of PMs asking for a Dognzb invite :D

For the record: I sent my last invite to @Freek, theres no need for sending me further PMs

• @Freek said: No, not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I will try and see if I have time next week, but I can't make any promises. As we speak I'm having issues with my newznab installation as well.

No worries, I will have a go based on this one again :)

• @nikc said: No worries, I will have a go based on this one again :)

I used it and it worked just fine - my index has been running happily for a little over a month now (although backfiring takes FOREVER).