Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OCZ Vector vs. Samsung 840 Pro

BrandonBrandon Member
edited December 2012 in General

So I'm in the market for a bunch of SSDs and having a hard time deciding between the two. Any thoughts?

Comments

• I recently purchased a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro and I am quite happy with it. The advertised I/O speeds are right on

• Every time I look at OCZ's SSD products on Newegg, I see plenty of complaints that they die. I don't see near as many complaints with Samsung's SSDs. Go with Samsung.

• I have many many Samsung 830's in use, bought two 250gb 840's today, will report back if they suck, which I doubt. For use with LSI CacheCade

• i will definitely ask @ramnode and Nick A - they are heavy on SSDs

• lumaluma Member
    edited December 2012

I own 3x OCZ SSD drives and have had nothing but problems. I had to RMA the one twice! and also had to rma another.

Laptop has a Samsung and going on 2 years without a problem.

My next computer will have the Samsung 840 pro's in it.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited December 2012

OCZ really stands by this drive though and they've been doing a lot of restructuring. For the Vector there's a 5 year warranty and they say it's good for 20GB of data a day.

This is supposedly the best product that OCZ has come out with to date.

I'm really having a hard time deciding. :/

• @darknessends said: i will definitely ask @ramnode and Nick A - they are heavy on SSDs

Call for ... @ramnode :D

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

I have an PC with a 250GB 840 and it's perfectly well transferring GB of files, also have 830 in macbook and is equally good. 830 is the popular choice in SSDs for a variety of server providers so 840 would be even better. But yeah @ramnode should know in server wise performance

• Yeah I have a bunch of 830s in production and have been really happy with them. If they weren't sold out everywhere, I'd still be using and buying them.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

I've had two intel 320's in my laptop and desktop respectively and they ran very well, and for over 2 years.

• I heard 840's not worth the extra money when you can grab 830's for less?

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited December 2012

Warranties are not guarantees of product quality or service fitness, they are replacement policies. You put a 10 year warranty on a piece of shit . . . but that doesn't make it objectively better than any other turd you find.

If this is for a server environment it would be nothing short of foolish to pick OCZ over Samsung.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@Microlinux said: Warranties are not guarantees of product quality or service fitness, they are replacement policies. You put a 10 year warranty on a piece of shit . . . but that doesn't make it objectively better than any other turd you find.

This is a good point. I would really rather spend a few more dollars to have a solid product to begin with, than have downtime or spend time/energy to remove/ship/reinstall anything. The current state of computer component manufacturing seems to be to let the end user be the quality control.

• May be take a look at Crucial SSD drives? NewEgg have pretty good reviews on them as well, I know Redstation in the UK utilise them and have good history with them

• Samsung 840's are very solid pieces of equipment and they've been around for eons now.

Lots of folks swear by them.

I've seen plenty of OCZ failures over the years. I wouldn't use them in deployed equipment.

• Go Samsung dont think at Ocz one second

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: I've had two intel 320's in my laptop and desktop respectively and they ran very well, and for over 2 years.

I am also Intel SSD fan. i520 I use is just great and also slightly cheaper than Samsung 840 Pro. I would buy it again if I would need another one.

• +1 for the Intel SSD's ... haven't looked at full retail price comparisons on them vs. Samsung lately.

Samsung long was cheaper.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited December 2012

@Microlinux said: Warranties are not guarantees of product quality or service fitness, they are replacement policies. You put a 10 year warranty on a piece of shit . . . but that doesn't make it objectively better than any other turd you find.

If this is for a server environment it would be nothing short of foolish to pick OCZ over Samsung.

They're a clear indication on how a company stands by a product. Why would you put such a long warranty on a "piece of shit"? It would only cost the company more when they clearly know that their product won't last.

Found an interesting video:

Remember I am looking for feedback on the OCZ VECTOR not other OCZ drives.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited December 2012

If you say so.

The Vectors just came out, so there really isn't any "feedback" that is going to be very useful yet.

• @Brandon said: Remember I am looking for feedback on the OCZ VECTOR not other OCZ drives.

The Vector just came out. You won't find any real data on them yet.

Samsung has had stable products for ages now. So it is a good bet that the 840 will be solid as well (not 100% certain but track record says it will be good)

OCZ has had problems from the start. Chances ass the new vector will have issues as well.

Perhaps not though, it might turn out to be great but both lines are brand new. What do you want to do? Go with a company that has been solid all along or with a company that has had problems all along?

• Yeah right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but still learning towards the 840 pros.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some 830s that ship to Canada?

• OCZ Vector is comparable in performance to the 840 Pro, but reliability remains to be seen. Anand believes this is a turning point for OCZ so we'll see.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

(edit) Nevermind, this post was bad karma.

• Samsung > OCZ (Though my OCZ agility 3 is still performing well) and the 830s have a better lifespan 'theoretically' than 840s.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@Damian said: (edit) Nevermind, this post was bad karma.

That is what keeps me from posting too :)

@eastonch said: and the 830s have a better lifespan 'theoretically' than 840s.

This. But if you read the science behind SSD you will never buy another one tho.

• There's several articles on Anandtech regarding firmware issues with the 840 drives.

The non-pro version of the 840 is very budget as well and does not perform particularly well. Best bet is probably to stick with the 830 for now. I personally own a few OCZ Vertex 3, 830, and Intel 520 drives and they all more or less work fine for desktop usage.

• I'm throwing Intels in the ring again.

• Neither. The Samsung 830 has a proven track record and is reasonably cheap now.

However just to stay on topic here, i'd go with Samsung 840 Pro. I have 4 x 256 Vertex 4 @ Home in my workstation and they have proven rock solid, but I would not use them in a server.