Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$4/GB too low for Minecraft Hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$4/GB too low for Minecraft Hosting?

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited December 2012

$4 / GB? That's way too high. I'm thinking $1 a GB is reasonable but throw in a few 50% promotions here and there just so you can stay competitive.

• @Brandon Really? $1/GB? Good luck making any profit off of that.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zachfedora said: @Brandon Really? $1/GB? Good luck making any profit off of that.

I think he was being sarcastic.

• @Brandon said: $4 / GB? That's way to high. I'm thinking $1 a GB is reasonable but throw in a few 50% promotions here and there just so you can stay competitive.

Why charge? Get paid to join and use our minecraft servers™

• @NHRoel Why haven't minecraft providers thought of this? This is a great way to attract business!

• @SimpleNode said: Why haven't minecraft providers thought of this?

Lack of innovation ;)

• @NHRoel said: Get paid to join and use our minecraft servers™

Quoting from Futurama.

Leela: Remember Fry's idea to offer free delivery?
    Fry: It got us a lot of customers! 
    Leela: We're a delivery company!

• Lol @HalfEatenPie . I recon seeing that on reddit before though.

• @NHRoel: haha, I watched it a while ago on this episode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutopia_(Futurama)

• @Nick_A said: @mnpeep's signature proves that this thread is just a publicity stunt.

@Nick_A said: After how long of an ROI?

A week, maybe two?

@NHRoel said: Why charge? Get paid to join and use our minecraft servers™

Minecrafted already does this, they give out free 256MB servers, only a $1 setup fee.

• @mnpeep said: A week, maybe two?

Do you know what ROI is?

• @mnpeep said: A week, maybe two?

ROI means return on investment.

• Two week ROI? That is some high profit investment. Investment option available?Publicly trading?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

The only thing I'll say, is that you're just throwing money away from current paying clients, as they'll want the new pricing.

• @Taz said: Two week ROI? That is some high profit investment. Investment option available?Publicly trading?

Anyone ever heard of leased servers?

@RobertJFClarke said: The only thing I'll say, is that you're just throwing money away from current paying clients, as they'll want the new pricing.

Not true, since the quality comes down with the price, as it should be.

• @mnpeep said: Not true, since the quality comes down with the price, as it should be.

So you are going to sell really shitty mc servers in hopes to make money? I wish you the best of luck

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited December 2012

@Spencer said: So you are going to sell really shitty mc servers in hopes to make money? I wish you the best of luck

http://vortexunit.com/hostcrap/

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@mnpeep said: Anyone ever heard of leased servers?

http://gyazo.com/db187583eed0ae61c9c98e6080454ae4

Thus, the questions regarding ROI, etc.

• @mnpeep said: Anyone ever heard of leased servers?

$4/GB. Assume 32GB for simplicity. 4x32 = 128. It's either heavily oversold, doesn't include wages, insurance and a pile of other costs that are the real expense of running a business. Not to mention profits = a need to pay tax.

Sigh. Doesn't understand. Leased or not.

• @Nick_A said: http://gyazo.com/db187583eed0ae61c9c98e6080454ae4

Thus, the questions regarding ROI, etc.

Only the HDD ($7.6/GB) and SSD($10/GB) server plans run on company owned hardware. The Cheap Server Plans do not.

@concerto49 said: $4/GB. Assume 32GB for simplicity. 4x32 = 128. It's either heavily oversold, doesn't include wages, insurance and a pile of other costs that are the real expense of running a business. Not to mention profits = a need to pay tax.

Sigh. Doesn't understand. Leased or not.

What if I told you this isn't the only product that I sell. You are also forgetting about add-ons, etc.

• @mnpeep said: Only the HDD ($7.6/GB) and SSD($10/GB) server plans run on company owned hardware. The Cheap Server Plans do not.

This is a completely ridiculous statement.

@mnpeep said: What if I told you this isn't the only product that I sell.

What else do you sell? Link?

• Besides hdd( I assume you meant sata 3) and ssd , what your server runs on? Sas?

• @HalfEatenPie said: This is a completely ridiculous statement.

How so? The Cheap Server Plans are located in Canada, while the other plans are located in San Jose, California, USA.

@HalfEatenPie said: What else do you sell? Link?

https://www.buy.maxsmcservers.com/cart.php

• @mnpeep said: How so? The Cheap Server Plans are located in Canada, while the other plans are located in San Jose, California, USA.

I was referring to how you only pay for the hard drive costs and not the actual physical unit costs.

• @Taz said: Besides hdd( I assume you meant sata 3) and ssd , what your server runs on? Sas?

HDD plans run on dual RE4 hard drives (500-750GB) in RAID-1
    SSD plans run on dual 256GB Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID-1
    CS plans run on dual SSDs (pretty slow ones) in RAID-1

• So all your server runs on either sata3 HDD or SSD. So you OWN EVERY SERVER YOU SELL SERVICE FROM.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I was referring to how you only pay for the hard drive costs and not the actual physical unit costs.

The CS plans are leased. The servers for the HDD / SSD server plans are already paid for.

• @Taz said: So all your server runs on either sata3 HDD or SSD. So you OWN EVERY SERVER YOU SELL SERVICE FROM.

How did you get to that conclusion? Just because a server runs on an SSD or an HDD does not mean I own it. CS servers are leased from another company, SSD and HDD plan servers are owned by MHS.

• TazTaz Member
    edited December 2012

You contradict your self on every 2nd statement. Unless you don't understand my broken English.

• @Taz said: You contradict your self on every 2nd statement. Unless you don't understand my broken English.

Where? Let me clarify it for you. I would not want you to have any confusion.