Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Percona and mysql_connect support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Percona and mysql_connect support?

FreekFreek Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I am fiddeling around with Percona as an alternative to MySQL but it seems to be lacking mysql_connect support, at least that's what a script that I am trying to install tells me.
I already tried to install the php5-mysql libraries (apt-get install php5-mysql) but no joy.
I don't seem to be finding much about this on google that can mean 2 things: It should work out of the box and I did something stupid/wrong or that it's just impossible and should be obvious..
Which if the two is it?

Thanks ;)

Comments

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

mysqli (ie: what you should have installed anyways over the non-improved mysql extension)... or pdo_mysql.

try running a phpinfo test page ( <?php phpinfo(); ?> ) and see what modules/extensions are actually loaded.

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited November 2012

So, why wouldn't Percona have mysql_connect support? It doesn't have a specific php module, so all you need is php5-mysql. Make sure to restart the webserver, then do as @kbeezie said and check what is loaded.

• @Nikki said: why wouldn't Percona have mysql_connect support?

It's more like his PHP install is lacking it, rather than Percona, ie: it's either not installed, or the php.ini being used isn't loading the extension, also on newer versions of PHP mysql support I thought was included natively if enabled.

• @kbeezie said: @Nikki said: why wouldn't Percona have mysql_connect support?

It's more like his PHP install is lacking it, rather than Percona, ie: it's either not installed, or the php.ini being used isn't loading the extension, also on newer versions of PHP mysql support I thought was included natively if enabled.

Yep, the only reason it wouldn't is if for some reason they decided to break away from being a 'mysql drop in replacement', but other than that, his first post is worded horribly since he's implying it's a problem with Percona and not his PHP install

• @Nikki said: Yep, the only reason it wouldn't is if for some reason they decided to break away from being a 'mysql drop in replacement', but other than that, his first post is worded horribly since he's implying it's a problem with Percona and not his PHP install

Wasn't MariaDB the one that's a "drop-in" that incorporated some features of Percona?

• @Nikki said: Make sure to restart the webserver

I feel dumb...
    I thought a nginx restart would do the trick but apparently a complete reboot was needed.
    Thanks!!

• @kbeezie said: Wasn't MariaDB the one that's a "drop-in" that incorporated some features of Percona?

Pretty sure Percona is a drop in for MySQL :P

• @Freek said: I thought a nginx restart would do the trick but apparently a complete reboot was needed.

ooooh it was nginx, well obviously wouldn't start php-fpm, those are two completely serrate processes. (ie: it's not mod_php as you may have figured out)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

And this is why you specify the exact error message itself when encountering a problem, and not an approximation, or your interpretation of said error :)

• @kbeezie said: ooooh it was nginx, well obviously wouldn't start php-fpm, those are two completely serrate processes. (ie: it's not mod_php as you may have figured out)

So wait a minute, although it's working, I did it wrong?

The problem however I do encounter is that nginx converts http links into https. Do not want, and I specifically told him not to do so in my config file:
    http://pastebin.com/3QLdhg1u

@joepie91 said: And this is why you specify the exact error message itself when encountering a problem, and not an approximation, or your interpretation of said error :)

Well I should have mentioned nginx indeed, but pretty much the error was: Your PHP installation is not compatible with mysql_connect().

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Freek said: Well I should have mentioned nginx indeed, but pretty much the error was: Your PHP installation is not compatible with mysql_connect().

Right - but had you posted that error message, it would have been obvious to several here that the problem was with PHP, and not with Percona. Your original post implied that the error message mentioned something about Percona, because you gave your own interpretation instead of the error :)

@Freek said: Percona as an alternative to MySQL but it seems to be lacking mysql_connect support, at least that's what a script that I am trying to install tells me

• Hehe okay ;) I'm sorry, won't ever rephrase error messages again ;)