Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best geographical location for VPN and a good provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best geographical location for VPN and a good provider

littleguylittleguy Member
edited November 2012 in General

I am not looking to do anything illegal, just want someplace with shitty data retention laws to give a piece of mind when you're surfing the net.

Have been looking at Lithuania, it seems nice in that aspect.

So i'm looking for either a tun/tap enabled openvz box or xen, **OR **a dedicated VPN provider (with good track record)

thanks!

Comments

• USA

• funny guy!

How about Africa? Any thoughts?

• japonjapon Member
    edited November 2012
  • @littleguy said: How about Africa?

USA providers won't pass on any logs unless you are doing something illegal and they have a court order. So in that case it should be fine.

@littleguy said: How about Africa?

Don't try to cover your tracks by taking advantage of third world countries.

• @Nick said: Don't try to cover your tracks by taking advantage of third world countries.

Antarctica then. We will take advantage of the penguins!

• edited November 2012

@littleguy said: How about Africa? Any thoughts?

Contact @William at Edis :)

If you also needed Iceland, go with Edis and Urpad

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@littleguy Stay away from Urpad.

• @RobertJFClarke said: @littleguy Stay away from Urpad.

Do you have a reason? Just asking, because currently I'm not using Urpad for VPN

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited November 2012

@RobertJFClarke said: @littleguy Stay away from Urpad.

why stay away from urpad?

• Did I hear someone in need of a USA OpenVZ VPS with TUN/TAP? :p hint hint

• @Nick said: Don't try to cover your tracks by taking advantage of third world countries.

If the data retention climate is better there, why not?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Climate is hot in Africa for the most of it.
    Infrastructure is not cool, tho.
    Germany has good infrastructure and if you operate your own vps the retention law does not really apply even if it was one working because the ISP cannot be held to record all the IPs his address space is contacting, not to mention all sites. That will grow into gigabytes per minute in big ISPs.

• NickkNickk Member
    edited November 2012

@littleguy said: If the data retention climate is better there, why not?

Why not USA then if you claim to be doing nothing illegal? Africa will be a lot more expensive than Australia in terms of bandwidth too, would be very unfeasible.

• @Nick said: Africa will be a lot more expensive

found africa vpn for 8 usd/mo

http://www.supervpn.net/vpn-africa.html

• I wonder what the latency is like? Seeing as that's something I would be concerned about for the purpose of a VPN.

• @arieonline said: why stay away from urpad?

Just look at there TOS http://www.urpad.net/terms-of-service.shtml

Pretty much you can't host anything :D

• Pirated Software / Warez/Torrents, Escrow, High-Yield Interest Programs (HYIP) or related sites, Investment sites (FOREX, egold exchange), sale of any controlled substance without prior proof of appropriate permit(s), Auto Surf sites, Bank Debentures, Bank Debenture Trading Programs, Prime Banks Programs, lottery sites, hate sites, hacker focused sites/archives/programs, or sites promoting illegal activities, IP Scanners, Brute Force Programs, Mail Bombers and Spam Scripts. Forums and or websites that distribute Warez/Torrent content are prohibited. Gameservers (e.g., Minecraft) are prohibited on our servers due with the level of CPU abuse we've seen originating from them. Services that utilize CPU idle time such as Folding@Home are strictly forbidden.

Um.... yeah... no comment.

• @concerto49 said: Um.... yeah... no comment.

The real question is what can you host on urpad.net

• A blog.

Ohh wait. perhaps that uses to much CPU.

• You saw that too XD

@Cirium said: A blog.

Ohh wait. perhaps that uses to much CPU.

• @Mun said: The real question is what can you host on urpad.net

Things that are legal. Things that don't attract abuse.

• @MannDude said: Things that are legal. Things that don't attract abuse.

What doesn't attract abuse these days outside of Daily-Bento-Pic blog... ?

• @MannDude said: Things that are legal. Things that don't attract abuse.

Odd, when I was looking at your TOS, it said "*Abuse the fair share CPU policy. We are constantly monitoring our servers and we request you keep your server load below 5.00 to keep our servers stable for everyone. You can check your server load via SSH using the command "uptime" without quotations." This is the lowest I have ever seen from any host, ever. Not to mention my server was far below this yet you complained :(

"*Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities" Web server is technically file sharing so I guess I can't do that.

Not to mention you don't even state in an email "we notice you violated TOS" instead you just shut services down and have your ex-customers look around trying to figure out what the hell went wrong.

Urpad.net is to have people buy server meant for idling and doing nothing.

"Offering video and/or audio streaming or downloads, MP3 Files, Games and shareware is also not permitted on any URPad.net server(s)." You mean if I make a song I can't host it on my vps? WTF!

" All files over 10MB must be linked from files within the same account and also publicly available through any domain name attached to your account. Large files (files over 10MB) should not take up more than 40% of the data on your hosting account." You mean if I have a file on a CDN it isn't acceptable over 10mbs?

• @Mun

Haven't you heard? Having a load average over 5 is illegal. I'm going to call the police on you.

• @Cirium said: Haven't you heard? Having a load average over 5 is illegal. I'm going to call the police on you.

But I wasn't over 5 load D:

• JaxalJaxal Member
    edited November 2012

@concerto49 said: Did I hear someone in need of a USA OpenVZ VPS with TUN/TAP? :p hint hint

I might take you up on that offer next time I'm going to a internet regulated country

• @littleguy said: I am not looking to do anything illegal, just want someplace with shitty data retention laws to give a piece of mind when you're surfing the net.

Concerned about a company with servers in Africa?
    You know, democracy isn't a popular thing that area

• ibVPN - multiple locations.

• With a VPN in Germany, you will not have access to quite a lot of Music Videos on Youtube and services like Hulu are out of reach. Keep that in mind!