Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to buy SSL certificate for a webshop. Where to look for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to buy SSL certificate for a webshop. Where to look for?

ztecztec Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hello LET readers,

Today I am on the hunt for an SSL certificate for a webshop, where should I look for in an SSL certificate?
And of course, where can I get the cheapest ones, I alreay saw one from godaddy for 5 euro a year. Seems almost too cheap..

Comments

• NameCheap.

• jhjh Member

Namecheap - $2 with a domain :)

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2012

And I will need 2 IPs for this, right?
    Or is it just a dedicated IP?

• Just a dedicated IP should work.

• jhjh Member

If you're just hosting the one site, one IP is fine

• @ztec said: And I will need 2 IPs for this, right?

If you need multiple SSL sites. If you only need one SSL site on the IP, you're good.

• StartSSL.com

Free. And the StartSSL roots are in most browsers.

• ztecztec Member
    edited November 2012

I got more sites on that one IP, but just this shop needs SSL. So I don't have to configure more IPs?

For NameCheap, do I need to buy more domains or can I do this with the domains I already own?

Thanks for StartSSL.com - but I need to be able to show off with the certificate icons on the webshop.

Thanks for the help guys.

• jhjh Member

No, one IP is fine then.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

I bought 2 of them on cyber monday and niether has been setup. Will sell you a rapidssl for 7.50 so I make a little on it. Then just have to set it up.
    @ztec pm me if interested.

• @ztec said: can I do this with the domains I already own?

You can do it with domains you own. PositiveSSL is $7.95/yr, but if you're in the market for a new/cheap domain it's the $2.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

CheapSSLs/Namecheap

• @ztec said: Thanks for StartSSL.com - but I need to be able to show off with the certificate icons on the webshop.

You mean these?
    https://www.startssl.com/?app=24

• jhjh Member

@ztec said: I need to be able to show off with the certificate icons on the webshop.

My suggestion would then be to get the $35 Thawte SSL from Namecheap. You get a button with a popup that looks half decent:
    https://secure.sysadmin.co.uk/

• I tried StartSLL.com once. My advice: Don't. Takes too much time and is too much of a hassle. It's website is very hard to navigate and from what I've understood is that you need to manually renew the SSL certificate every month.. But that could be an error on my end because again, I find their website hard to understand and confusing

• I agree with Creek. StartSSL is a waste of time. I would recommend NameCheap as well. Used a couple of their positivessl certs before. No issues at all.

There is also GlobeSsl for cheap certs. Never used them before though.

• I've never had a problem with StartSSL. Their free certificates last 12 months. Agreed, the web navigation isn't the clearest, but it's okay once you get used to it.

• The cheap certs like RapidSSL or PositiveSLL provide perfectly good 2048-bit security. These can be purchased from cheapssls.com or registrars like namecheap.com at a discount sometimes. Website "badges" are readily available.

If you want to spend more money you can get an extended validation certicate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate) which turns the address bar green in popular browsers.

• +1 Namecheap.

• Chat with @giang for SSL certs

• If you're okay with GD, I bought their Standard SSL for $4.99. Easy to use, and they have something as site seal too.

Since it's about customers trust for our business, I say you go with something better than free. :)

• @xmob said: I've never had a problem with StartSSL. Their free certificates last 12 months. Agreed, the web navigation isn't the clearest, but it's okay once you get used to it.

+1 - Once you learn how to issue / view your certificates, it's quite easy.

Just remember to include the CA bundle certificate when installing.

• Grab a .info from namecheap for $4 and get SSL for $2 extra :P

• just bought 5 years positivessl from namecheap at $19.90 with their promotion.what a steal

• @Andri said: Since it's about customers trust for our business, I say you go with something better than free. :)

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/how-startcom-foiled-comodohacker-4-lesso/231601037

Free doesn't mean it's not safe. Sort of the opposite proved above.

• @cosmicgate said: just bought 5 years positivessl from namecheap at $19.90 with their promotion.what a steal

Are these wildcard certs you can use for any subdomain?

For StartSSL Class1 Free, you have to register every subdomain with a separate crt.

• @herbyscrub said: For StartSSL Class1 Free, you have to register every subdomain with a separate crt.

Well, yeah. Only need to verify the root domain once via email. Great for setting up service SSL on cPanel servers (cpanel, WHM, pop, etc.)

I believe if you verify yourself you can issue Level 2 / wildcards for free as well. Around 59 dollars or so.

• I used Minstall 2.5.7, and running two websites with two ssl :
    https://www.erawanarifnugroho.com - StartSSL
    https://www.bsie.net - PositiveSSL

• CiriumCirium Member
    edited November 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho

Just tried visiting your bsie.net site, getting a certificate not trusted error on my iPhone 4S.

Not sure if I'd go with PositiveSSL if it doesnt work on my phone.

• @Kris said: Well, yeah. Only need to verify the root domain once via email. Great for setting up service SSL on cPanel servers (cpanel, WHM, pop, etc.)

Yeah, I was just pointing out the limitation of the free StartSSL. Will end up with quite a few certs with different expirations like I have lol.

I was wondering if the super cheap certs are like that too since I've never used one before.