Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone affected by Sandy? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone affected by Sandy?

Comments

• Did BRUSTNET put BURSTNET in their BURSTNET notice enough?

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • BUSTNET!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3591

FS#7534 — nyk-1-6k Incident

Category the whole network

There's a failure with this router.

We are investigating.

Massive floods have happened in the South of the Manhattan Island in New York, diving in the dark after the end of the "super-storm" Sandy.

The router nyk-1-6k is located in this area.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1205042

Looks to be getting good info

Steadfast ny just dropped offline

• The hurricane has not impeded my drinking habits. Prepare for drunken pie updates.

• @unused said: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1205042

Looks to be getting good info

Steadfast ny just dropped offline

I compiled a quick list in the Thread Summary.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

Interesting to see Burstnet's sales pitch even to their announcements:

@Jack said: To place an order, or for more info, contact;

BurstNET® - [email protected]

• My VPS in New York is down (@ Steadfast DC). It sounds like they ran on generator for awhile, but still ran into problems and shut down.

Safety is the most important thing.

• It's why you don't build DC's on island's. :D

• My VoIP service in New York (@ Callcentric) is also down. They apparently didn't even have generators -- just a UPS.

• @jshinkle said: It's why you don't build DC's on island's. :D

How about Amsterdam / Netherlands then? It's mostly below sea level. God forbid if something as bad happens there, the internet in the whole Europe would be screwed for a long time.

• i wonder how many Dcs are affected :(.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@rds100 said: How about Amsterdam / Netherlands then? It's mostly below sea level. God forbid if something as bad happens there

It's a good thing then that there are almost no natural disasters in central/northern Europe then :D The only real danger for the Netherlands is global worming and the rising sea level, but that won't happen abrupt and they have a pretty sophisticated flood protection system.

@gsrdgrdghd said: It rather sounds like the media is blowing it out of proportion.

Looks like nothing very terrible at all happened...

• @gsrdgrdghd Despite the sophisticated flood protection system i think the only thing that can save them in the long term is buying/importing as much rock and earth as they can, piling it up essentially rising their land level above the sea level.

• @gsrdgrdghd @randy

Depending on what your classification of "terrible" is. DC's without power, DC's flooded, DC's without network connectivity, etc.

As far as how many, a lot of them in lower manhatten that I am aware of, some in NJ, some in CT, and a few misc ones along the seaboard all have some sort of an issue.

• is your work place ok @ colocrossing ?:P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: global worming

worms will be eating us all :)
    Well, a hurricane over cold water so much up north is not bound to be very disruptive, especially a category 1.
    The only thing about it is that it is rather rare and ppl there are not so prepared as the rest of the folks in the south. If a hurricane was to hit romania, I am sure much more death would have occurred. Here snowstorms are killing ppl, regular floods and recently tornadoes.

M

• Where we are, have been getting dumped on by rain for days. Stationary cold front that has merged with the hurricane. Unsure what rain totals are, but were over 2 inches before the hurricane got here. Flooding seems inevitable for valley areas.

Wind is blowing something fierce. 30 MPH sustained and gusts that have to be over 50MPH. Going to lots of wind damage in the morning (shingles, blown yard stuffs, garbage, trees, etc.)

• From that WHT thread seems like quite a few NYC providers having issues due to ConEd (electric utility) cutting power.

Interserver.net is and has been offline. Always thought they were a big company.

Wondering how many sites have been put offline and what other facilities across the river in New Jersey are having same problems?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Our NY DNS node in Telx (Western Union Building, 60 Hudson Street) is online and we didn't notice any problems

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said: @gsrdgrdghd Despite the sophisticated flood protection system i think the only thing that can save them in the long term is buying/importing as much rock and earth as they can, piling it up essentially rising their land level above the sea level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levee

• Knocked down a tree in to my freinds house
    Tore off a light from outside my front door, pushed it right though my cars window...

Raining super hard, winds at 100 KM/h right now.

• @ajones said: Tore off a light from outside my front door, pushed it right though my cars window...

That sucks man. I hope the insurance company covers it.

• Hello,

Our NY datacenter went down at around 4:15 AM EST on 30 October, 2012. At this time we have lost all communication
    with the datacenter and it is unclear when we can expect service restoration.

Please bear in mind that many New York datacenters are currently being evacuated due to the Sandy hurricane. Many
    datacenters have lost power, some are being flooded.

Please allow us some time to restore communication with the datacenter staff. We will be sending email updates as
    soon as we hear from them on the issue.

As a precautionary measure, we have backed up all customers' VPS at our NY datacenter just several hours ago,
    so should the worst happen, at least we have full backups to restore/redeploy in our other datacenters.

Daniel Clay
    VPS Blast/IT7 Networks

Another DC affected by Sandy...

• bitbit Member

The lower levels of Internap's LGA11 facility was flooded, taking out the diesel pumps which feed fuel to their generators. They would have lost power completely around midnight local time.

• Power has been restored at Internap's LGA6/7/8 . No news on LGA11 though.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited October 2012

NFOServers:

InterNAP has sent us the following notification:

Please be advised that the NYM-EXT1 facility is experiencing significant flooding in the sub-basement of the 75 Broad Street building as a result of Hurricane Sandy. The flooding has submerged the site's diesel pumps and is preventing fuel from being pumped to the generators on the mezzanine level. The available fuel reserves on the mezzanine level are estimated to support customer loads for approximately 5-7 hours. Once this fuel supply has been exhausted the generator will no longer be able to sustain operation and critical customer power loads will be lost. We urge all Internap customers to take necessary remote action, if shutting down equipment in a more graceful fashion is possible before the outage occurs.

The building itself is being evacuated and no remote hands support will be available to assist in any equipment shutdown. Life safety is our number one priority and we are making plans to completely exit the facility. No customer access to the building is possible at this time either. Due to the evacuation, Internap will not be able to provide any exact updates on when the fuel will be exhausted and critical customers loads lost, but as noted, we believe it will take place in approximately 5-7 hours from now.

We hope that flood waters will recede enough that generators can function and/or that utility power can be restored before this happens, but we can't tell if that will be the case.

If a complete power outage takes place, our managed services should not be significantly affected beyond the downtime. This is because all are configured to come back online properly when power is restored, and managed game servers (with the exception of Minecraft servers, which are snapshotted hourly) rarely write to disk, meaning that disk corruption is unlikely. However, unmanaged services would also go down. If you run an unmanaged VDS or machine, we recommend that you back up critical files (such as databases) that might be writing to disk at the time of any later abrupt shutdown, and that you consider stopping those services in advance to be safe.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited October 2012

Looks like AlienVPS is completely down (nothing new here), think they're in InterServer in NY.

• Here in Eastern-Florida we did get hit by Sandy, but very little as it was about 50 miles off of our coast. We did not lose electricity, but we did have high winds and rain for a while. Now that the storm is away from us, it's absolutely freezing here for us, Floridians.