Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sizing for storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sizing for storage VPS?

DamianDamian Member
edited October 2012 in General

So i'm at a loss for what kind of plans or levels to offer for storage/backup VPSes? I see that from http://serverbear.com/compare/vps/storage 100gb is a 'standard' size, but do you need that much space?

Would you prefer to pay less for a smaller amount of storage?

Or do you need more than 100gb?

What's your ideal pricing?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, atleast 1TB, of course LEB pricing.

• @damian good question. From casual convos with friends/colleagues in the past I get the feeling there are 3 general buckets of users when it comes to storage (and of course exceptions). 50GB, 250GB and 1TB. I don't have any scientific evidence for this but it seems these jumps reflect usage patterns such as "family photos and a few movies" then "doing more videos"...and finally "dumping ground for a bunch of stuff (photos, movies and system backups etc). Again, not formal, just an observation

• @damian I thought you didnt sell vpses anymore?

• @djvdorp wait he doesn't sell vps anymore? Where is the thread?

• @Corey said: @djvdorp wait he doesn't sell vps anymore? Where is the thread?

might have to search a while here, but Damian left IPXcore a while ago. Adam is now left there IIRC.

• @Corey said: Where is the thread?

There wasn't one. I left IPXcore in @phxadam's hands to move on with other projects, but he asked me back, and so here I am.

• @Damian said: There wasn't one. I left IPXcore in @phxadam's hands to move on with other projects, but he asked me back, and so here I am.

Cool, didnt know you were back :)

• @Damian so you are with IPXcore again?

• ^^^ - Yes, this??

• Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

• @phxadam said: Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

Yes please

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Damian

Didn't realise you were back. Good luck! :D

• @phxadam said: Its true, @Damian is back and are thinking about offering disk at $0.05 per GB.

Nice. I hope its raid protected

• @Asim said: I hope its raid protected

Yes, hardware RAID 10 on LSI 9260 or 9265, depending on what server you get put on.

Depending on the location, I will get some space of that, once you roll it out.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Depending on the location, I will get some space of that, once you roll it out.

It will be in Buffalo, New York.

@Damian said: It will be in Buffalo, New York.

Fair enough.

• @Damian how many datacenters ColoCrossing has on NY? They only list one on the website.

• @juan_144 said: how many datacenters ColoCrossing has on NY? They only list one on the website.

They have two (New York City & Buffalo)

Thanked by 1juan_144
  • OOK

• What in the world. Looks like Buffalo now is joining ranks of Kansas City and handful of other low cost hub hosting cities :)

Everyone is loving Colocrossing Buffalo :) Best secret US East location :) 11ms to NYC :) Now if I can get my home provider to have better routing in that direction it would be gold.

As far as storage VPS offers go, have to think about what you want these used for. Are they purely just for storage? Then cut back the RAM (i.e. 64mb with 64mb burst). If intending to be a disk beefy usable VPS then sell it with RAM that scales with the disk.

I'd offer a slew of different sizes:
    25GB 50GB 100GB 250GB 500GB 1TB

I am interested in 250GB and above offers.

• Oh yeah and I should mention, I am not interested in RAID, backups, etc. from a provider. Just raw space :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

@pubcrawler then get a bunch of Kimsufi boxes and be done with it.

• I am indifferent about kimsufi offers. A tad of a hassle for us in the US. Language, money transfer rates, VAT or documents to waive VAT, etc.

Rather deal with group of different providers distributed around the globe cutting me slices of a bigger server pie :)

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited October 2012

I would prefer 500gb+ at a cheap price mainly to host images :)
    I only know buyvm offers the cheapest storage vps with decent performance

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I'd recommend offering both RAID-redundant and non-RAID-redundant storage space - I'd imagine I'm not the only one that has his own redundancy solution set up :)

If you were to offer non-RAID-redundant storage for cheaper, I'd definitely be interested as there aren't really any places offering this.

Kimsufi etc. aren't necessarily an option, because one provider != proper redundancy, and other providers elsewhere don't really seem able to match Kimsufi pricing.

Thanked by 1pubcrawler
  • @joepie91 said: If you were to offer non-RAID-redundant storage for cheaper, I'd definitely be interested as there aren't really any places offering this.

Would anyone else be interested in this too?

Thanked by 2pubcrawler joepie91
  • Yep, I would.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Sorry to hijack briefly @Damian, just @joepie91's suggestion of non-RAID-redundant storage is something I'm currently looking into.

What kind of prices would people be interested in for 500GB of storage? Would prices around $15/month sell?

• $15 a month for 500GB?

Yeah that will sell. Ask BuyVM. Permanently out of stock.