Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone affected by Sandy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone affected by Sandy?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited October 2012 in General

Just saw on CNN and it seems the situation is not really great in NYC and NJ area...wish everyone in the affected region best of their luck.

Comments

• You can watch it live here: http://new.livestream.com/breakinglivenowdirect/sandycam
    Just found that :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

It seems like I have VPS in every potentially affected location (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York.. :) but well.. that's not really important. I hope all the best for people and their property in those areas.

http://new.livestream.com/centralpa/sandy (Harrisburg PA)

• I hope the people there stay safe.

I don't necessarily expect a problem with my New York VPS, but I failed it over to another location just to be on the safe side.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

I was just about to create a thread too after I ate dinner but I just saw this. They were going on about it quite a bit on the radio here in the UK, I hope everyone in the affected areas will stay safe. :)

• Im in it right now! Im in PA still so its not to bad yet. Still have power (Thank God) But it is raining ALOT. Not to windy yet though. Ill try and snap some pics!

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited October 2012

@Spencer said: Im in it right now! Im in PA still so its not to bad yet. Still have power (Thank God) But it is raining ALOT. Not to windy yet though. Ill try and snap some pics!

Stay safe! LET has a lot of members but I do not think we want to lose anyone to storm. Please be very careful.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @zhuanyi what about @DewlanceVPS? J/K

• @24khost said: what about @DewlanceVPS? J/K

I thought he is working for Hostbluff now? And as far as I know, Hostbluff is UK based so he should be OK.

• Stuck in the brunt of it in Central New Jersey. Not too good here. A few trees down, but surprisingly my power's not out yet. My personal weather station just recorded a gust 92 MPH (148 KMH), to give you some perspective.

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • wdqwdq Member

I'm in the central United States so weather is fine here. But this hurricane looks pretty bad. The good news is most people seem to have been prepared.

Thanked by 2zhuanyi TheHackBox
  • @Jack said: So it could affect OVH's US/Canada DC?

I don't know if it'll have that much impact on it. Hurricanes lose strength and energy when they get over land; by the time it reaches OVH's datacenter, it might just be a heavy rain.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Highly unlikely to have any effect over OVH's DC. As @Damian said .. It might not be even that heavy rain.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Just got mail from Castlegem

Dear GBSHouse.com,

this is just a short notification to let you know that Sandy is gaining strength at the moment, with the current estimate for gusts reaching around 80-90mph in our area. Onsite technicians are performing comprehensive walkthroughs throughout the facility every hour, and there are no problem reports at this time. If we experience any issues, we will of course be communicating updates through the night!
    Thank you for your understanding!
    Your Castlegem Team

Impressive :)

Thanked by 2Liam ozfingwe
  • Can someone explain why this is supposed to be a big deal? It rather sounds like the media is blowing it out of proportion.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Can someone explain why this is supposed to be a big deal? It rather sounds like the media is blowing it out of proportion.

Whats new..

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited October 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: big deal?

Potentially the largest storm in 100 years? For this part of the world anyways

• LESLES Member

Seen some guys dancing in underwear behind the CNN reporter and another one jogging in a santa claus outfit... It's not the end of the world.

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Honestly.. If they made their houses and apartments, the same way they were once made in here..or in russia xD, they wouldn't have a real problem.

• @gbshouse said: Onsite technicians are performing comprehensive walkthroughs throughout the facility every hour

What good would that do if the storm is outside?

• AshAsh Member

As much as we always moan about the weather in the UK, we are immensely fortunate that it's not subject to such extremes of nature.

Hope everybody and their families stay safe.

Thanked by 2Infinity Nexus
  • BigScootsBigScoots Member
    edited October 2012

Was evacuated out of lower Manhattan :S - tis no joke friends. I volunteer with an ambulance crew over here as an EMT, we sent 4 ambulances from central NY (where they are also needed) to assist in the city. Apparently the emergency calls are already raining in.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

@DamienSB - they can put the bucket if the roof will start to leak :D

Thanked by 1DamienSB
  • LeaseWeb announcement in case anyone is interested:
    "Customers with services in our USA datacenter near Washington DC we would like to inform.

In preparation for hurricane Sandy, standard emergency procedures are in place and the team is on standby 24/7 to respond to any support requests. In the event of any issues, updates will continue on this page throughout.

Status updates and progress regarding this matter will be announced here http://leasewebnoc.com/en/networkstatus/leaseweb-usa-regarding-to-hurricane-sandy

Kind regards,

LeaseWeb Support
    http://www.leasewebnoc.com"

• flyfly Member

power just went out for 3 hrs :P

• Looks like Gawker and BuzzFeed are down thanks to Sandy. http://journ.us/StiJAz

• wdqwdq Member

I got an email from Internap a few minutes ago saying that they are now running off of backup power.

• 5 confirmed death in New York State according to CNN.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited October 2012

@zhuanyi said: 5 confirmed death in New York State according to CNN.

Ten nationwide so far per AP; Gawker, Buzzfeed and HuffPo outages due to power loss and five feet of water.

Now "at least 11".

Per BBC: "..high waters prompted concern at the Oyster Creek nuclear power plan in southern New Jersey at 20:45 EST, the US Nuclear Regulatory Committee said. However, there are no current plans to shut down the plant, which is located 40 miles south of Atlantic City. The oldest nuclear power plant in the US, Oyster Creek is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance, the NRC said."