Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone run JIRA on a LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone run JIRA on a LEB?

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited October 2012 in General

Work want to evaluate JIRA but getting a new VM provisioned is aggro, so just to see if works for us I'm considering getting a LEB for a few months while we take a look at it.

JIRI needs a couple of GB of RAM and a multicore CPU (which I guess rules out the cheapest KimSufi), so I was thinking about one of ChicagoVPS 2GB specials or something similar, but before I do, I wondered if anyone had run it off a LEB before, and what performance was like?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

EDIT: Also needs a decent HDD, 7200rpm minimum.

Comments

• Does jira run on openvz?

• jhjh Member

Not sure about JIRA but Confluence wouldn't work at all on any less than 1GB RAM and didn't like Vserver either :/

• Why not use something like redmine instead :P.. jira looks expensive.

ChicagoVPS is decent...ehehe.. stay away from their buffalo location though.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: Does jira run on openvz?

No idea tbh, hence me asking for opinions. I know it runs on VMware as a supplier's using it, but that's it

@jhadley said: Not sure about JIRA but Confluence wouldn't work at all on any less than 1GB RAM and didn't like Vserver either :/

I figured I'd need a reasonable amount of RAM, the documentation says JIRA can run on 300MB, but I don't fancy my chances.

@David_P said: Why not use something like redmine instead :P.. jira looks expensive.

Someone more important than me makes the purchasing decisions :-/

• Jira is all Java so you will need a lot of ram and I remember openvz and Java not getting along so well.

We use Jira at work, it seems popular with enterprises (who can afford it :) )

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I believe Java can behave itself (or at least try to behave) with vSwap, so you may want to see if you can get a provider that does vSwap.

• Why not try it with on demand instead of self hosted?

• @Corey said: Why not try it with on demand instead of self hosted?

On Demand is not an option long-term for a number of reasons, and we want to be sure we can manage the download version ourselves before we buy.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2012

@Nekki I agree, but 'managing' the downloaded version is just a matter of getting hardware that is powerful enough. I just started using on demand today to try the program to see if I even like it before I bother with installing it on our own hardware.

• @Corey I imagine you're right in terms of the management, but I need to be able to evidence that to non-technical types.

• @Nekki Yes, but you will also be spending some of those non-technical types' money in the process :)

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited October 2012

@Nekki said: Work want to evaluate JIRA but getting a new VM provisioned is aggro, so just to see if works for us I'm considering getting a LEB for a few months while we take a look at it.

We can provide you a hosted JIRA solution. Pricing depends on user tier. We can provide a 15 day trial.

Yes, it runs on a LEB.

@Corey said: I just started using on demand today to try the program to see if I even like it before I bother with installing it on our own hardware.

OnDemand is good for general use if you don't need customizations etc. If you don't need specific plugins. However, lately they changed the header and got lots of complaints.

Hit me up with any JIRA / Confluence / Atlassian questions. Happy to answer.

edited October 2012

@Nekki said: so I was thinking about one of ChicagoVPS 2GB specials or something similar, but before I do, I wondered if anyone had run it off a LEB before, and what performance was like?

Don't do it. It's got lots of issues. I mean this particular special LEB you are referring to. Some others work fine.

@24khost said: Does jira run on openvz?

It does, but prefer on VSwap, otherwise it's a memory sucker.

• @concerto49 said: Don't do it. It's got lots of issues. I mean this particular special LEB you are referring to. Some others work fine.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with CVPS's 2GB Special.

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited October 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Personally, I haven't had any problems with CVPS's 2GB Special.

Are you running JIRA on it? This is what I'm referring to. We did tests on it anyway. I was not referring to other applications. Not having a go at them. Just answering the question.

• @Corey said: @Nekki Yes, but you will also be spending some of those non-technical types' money in the process :)

Yup, but that's not an issue for them, especially when we're talking about less than $50.

@concerto49 said: We can provide you a hosted JIRA solution. Pricing depends on user tier. We can provide a 15 day trial.

I appreciate the offer, but ultimately we'll be running it in-house if we like it and are able to manage it that way, so I need to have an environment to setup and configure it from scratch. Using an externally-hosted solution isn't viable for us.

• all our server at work are VMs. Our JIRA is running on a 4gb ram virtual machine. although I did not check how much it is eating

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Im running confluence at home on a 512 mb vmware instance. Only 4 users however.

• @Nekki said: we'll be running it in-house if we like it and are able to manage it that way, so I need to have an environment to setup and configure it from scratch. Using an externally-hosted solution isn't viable for us.

If you've got any questions just let me know. It's something we do every day :)

• corehostingcorehosting Member
    edited October 2012

@Nekki if it can help i'm having crowd + confluence + Jira running on the same 8GB ESX VM for around 200 users.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Personally, I haven't had any problems with CVPS's 2GB Special.

Me neither, working rock-solid.

• @corehosting I have yet to see the good thing about confluence, do you guys actually use it? May I see how you use it?

• This is my jira memory usage.

Total Memory 506 MB
    Free Memory 314 MB
    Used Memory 192 MB
    Total PermGen Memory 256 MB
    Free PermGen Memory 92 MB
    Used PermGen Memory 163 MB
    Memory Graph
    62% Free (Total: 506 MB) (Force garbage collection)
    PermGen Memory Graph
    36% Free (Total: 256 MB)
    Non-Heap Memory Graph (includes PermGen)
    39% Free (Total: 304 MB)

• @Corey said: @corehosting I have yet to see the good thing about confluence, do you guys actually use it? May I see how you use it?

A lot of organizations use it a a collaboration tool. It is an Enterprise Wiki.

There are a lot of use cases, as an example, people build documentation from it and export it to PDF for client viewing.

Atlassian themselves use it as their online documentation repository.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2012

@Corey

What sort of usage do you have in terms of projects, users and bugs?

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited October 2012

Running JIRA and Confluence on OpenVZ here, works fine, no issues. Specs: ProxMox VE Host, OpenVZ VM's. Both had 512 MB of RAM (CentOS) and 30GB HDD. I've upped the ram for both of the VM's to 24GB, just because they never use it at the same time and the VM host has 48 GB :P

And, if you can do the hosted plans of JIRA, Greenhopper or Confluence, try those. It saves you the hassle of managing it, but it runs solid. For 3 external projects I'm involved in they run hosted variants of JIRA and Confluence.

• @Corey said: @corehosting I have yet to see the good thing about confluence, do you guys actually use it? May I see how you use it?
    @concerto49 said: A lot of organizations use it a a collaboration tool. It is an Enterprise Wiki.

And Atlassian is doing a nice integration of all their applications. When you have the complete suite, you can link all apps together to make them nicely integrated.

• @Nekki said: @Corey

What sort of usage do you have in terms of projects, users and bugs?

Just started using it this week, have like 5 users and a few bugs. I don't think the resource consumption would increase that much though even if our users were more active and had more bugs there.