Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in these storage plans? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone interested in these storage plans?

Comments

• Thanks for all the interest. We're not aiming to make profit. Why? We need large storage backups ourselves and looking to share with the community.

Will address the network concern.

• KuroKuro Member
    edited October 2012

< delete>I'm blind< /delete>

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: Thanks for all the interest. We're not aiming to make profit. Why? We need large storage backups ourselves and looking to share with the community.

Are you sure you are not aiming to make a profit? I may be a relatively new provider around here but I've been in IT long enough to know that with the unexpected things that come along offering any service that just "cuts even" means you will make a loss in reality.

Just sayin' :-)

• TazTaz Member

100mb/s unmetered ? Also reference vpscheap link posted above.

• @Taz said: Also reference vpscheap link posted above.

Which says 30Mbps unmetered, not 30TB/mo?

• TazTaz Member

You missed my point. You will not get 9tb bandwidth out of that plan.

• Aiming to cut even in terms of expenses, wages, etc. We need backup ourselves and not the full servers. The "loss" will be considered as advertising/marketing on building the brand.

We will not be making profit on these storage plans at this moment, but will for other plans if we decide to offer those.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@Taz said: Don't really want to bash anyone but the combination of space, bandwidth and price doesn't sound right. For example, on a noe with let's say 20 active container, we are looking at 600tb and a node on and you are looking at a node on 2gbit minimum. Which is not going to be cheap.

And they have to be selling a lot more then 20 vps to make profit.

People don't use what they buy, and anyone selling 100mbit or above at LEB prices is overselling bandwidth. As for hard drive space, my clients are using 20% of what I've sold them. You have to trust who you do business with to oversell safely, but anyone not overselling on LEB is someone I'd prefer to avoid. They're either cutting vital corners, providing terrible service, or losing money.

@Taz said: As I have said, it is based on those unlimited host model. You assume than 90% of your typical clients will never use their full resource.

The alternative is that they don't and you let them go to waste. Every provider has to make this call for themselves, the client's concern should be whether or not they trust them to avoid pushing it right to the line.

In fact, I'm nearing capacity for our Denver node. That capacity is set by me to oversell to a certain degree. Trends suggest that at full, oversold capacity, total used resources will be roughly 35% of the system. In before LAKid complains about me, once again, being honest about what most providers know better than to talk about in public.

@concerto49 said: We need backup ourselves and not the full servers.

Yeah I've been thinking of selling a few on nodes that we use for our stuff, just to offset the loss they generate with the resources we don't use. It's a good way to cut expenses.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • Finally, bought one vpscheap with the smallest plan, the one with 128MB and 30mbps unmetered, and the Bandwidth showed in SolusVM is 3.13 TB ( is that the correct calculation for unmetered 30mbps?)

Nice SolusVM skins, it's glowing :D

And asking for rdns and IPv6, answered fast ( Ticker created time 22.18, answered 22.45)

• That much space for such little price? Overselling much or are you getting a special deal from a datacenter? 100GB Space for let's say $10/Month seems reasonable.

Thanked by 1Cirium
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: Finally, bought one vpscheap with the smallest plan, the one with 128MB and 30mbps unmetered, and the Bandwidth showed in SolusVM is 3.13 TB ( is that the correct calculation for unmetered 30mbps?)
    Nice SolusVM skins, it's glowing :D
    And asking for rdns and IPv6, answered fast ( Ticker created time 22.18, answered 22.45)

Freevps.sh result please. I'm also interested. :D

• TazTaz Member

Erwan, you are getting a bit above 10mbps.

• @ErawanArifNugroho,

I bought the VPSCheap storage also :) Picked up the 250GB storage plan for testing (we actually need quite a bit more, but need to test before committing to real package and higher price).

Control panel for my plan shows:
    MB of 9.77 TB Used / 9.77 TB Free

Rule of the sloppy thumb is 300GB per each 1Mbit/s. So 30 * 300 = 9000 or roughly 9TB.. So yes, that is correct.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • CiriumCirium Member
    edited October 2012

@budingyun
    I'll post one in a couple minutes.

Thanked by 1budingyun
  • Now before folks go crazy subscribing, read their terms:

1) Backup Linux Virtual Servers are not allowed to run any software other than the one intended for backup of client's data.
    2) Recommended software includes: SSH, FTP, RSYNC.
    3) We do allow any third party backup software to be installed and used, however it may only be used for backups.
    4) By using our plans you agree to have your Backup server periodically scanned for illegal software.
    5) If such software is detected running on your server, your server will be terminated and your data will be lost.

The VPS comes running Apache... well it's installed. Unsure how they feel about that running (we're Nginx folks).

So while this is a VPS, they don't want you using it for anything other than storage for backups. Buyer beware of termination for disobeying the rules.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited October 2012

And, I'd avoid benchmarking the VPS too. Not intended for that either :)

• @pubcrawler said: Now before folks go crazy subscribing, read their terms:

Who's TOS is this?

• @budingyun said: Freevps.sh result please. I'm also interested. :D

I will put this in my blog soon :D

• That is VPSCheap's TOS.

In case you missed it:
    http://vpscheap.net/backup-plans-popup.aspx?plan-id=backup-plan-1

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • TazTaz Member

If you can oversell like mit and Fran, I have no issue. However,if you are overselling like a7gz or cough cough old switch, we got issue

• VPSCheap is running E3-1230 @ 3.3GHZ
    4 cores
    256MB RAM on my plan
    no swap

Download speed to various mirrors in a script mentioned about pull down 1.86MB/s (Japan Linode) to a high of 3.18MB/s (Dallas Linode).

I/O speed: 109 MB/s

Suffice for the specs :) I promise not to run software on my backup server again :)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited October 2012

@Cirium said: I'll post one in a couple minutes.

Thanks. :D

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I will put this in my blog soon :D

Okay. :D

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • CiriumCirium Member
    edited October 2012

@budingyun

Here is a regular plan 1 VPS used to host my website. (128MB RAM w/ 256MB burst, 10mbit unmetered) from VPSCheap.NET

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 3300.220 MHz Total amount of ram : 256 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 20 days, 19:10, Download speed from CacheFly: 1.16MB/s Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.21MB/s Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.78MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1011KB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 348KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 756KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 812KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.14MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.11MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 1.37MB/s I/O speed : 96.4 MB/s

Might I also add they are IPv6 ready and have their own allocation /32 from ARIN.
    http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET6-2607-8B00-1

Thanked by 2budingyun Nexus
  • I think that's nice for 10mb/s.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • This one from mine

# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :        Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency :  3300.223 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   27 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 1.27MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.14MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.24MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.01MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 1.02MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 135KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 863KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.15MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.05MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.41MB/s
    I/O speed :  64.0 MB/s
    Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Mine ran that test noticeably faster :)

We're all going to get smacked by the provider for our inability to read the TOS in the middle.

Storage going good so far. Pumped 20GB of files in there so far.

They have a weird network limiter on these accounts. I actually see a big blip increase in speeds on some transfers even though we are running at the capped steady speed. I won't say how much fast, but swear I saw gig speed for a while on one file.

• Yep, moving a file at 33MB/s. Big file and it is compressed, so not some weird compression artifact.

Good service so far.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Won't be overselling storage. Pointless when it's a storage/backup plan.

Yes, the VPS will only be allowed to used for storage/backup purposes, but of course we won't be invading your privacy :)

The server will be on a gigabit port but all users will be restricted to 90mbit (reduced to cater for all the problems any one thinks it may raised). This will be enough bandwidth to go around. We will also bump the prices slightly due to this, but will still be within acceptable margins.

The only way to do this yes, is to colo a server. Currently using Storage VPS myself, but as you all know the stock is very limited. Aim here to have my own storage/backup, but to be able to control stock.

Anyone still interested? Did I answer the questions? 90mbit unmetered is ~30TB of bandwidth a month.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2012

Sorry for mistake, please remove this reply

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: This one from mine

There's no much different from 10mb/s above and your 30mb/s speed. (-_-)

Thanked by 1Nexus