Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching from Linode - suggestions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switching from Linode - suggestions?

unriptrunriptr Member
edited October 2012 in Providers

I'm planning on switching from high cost Linode to a cheaper VPS. I want guaranteed resources so I'm going with an OVZ plan. What host can you recommend? I'd like at least 512MB of ram guaranteed. I don't need insane amounts of bandwidth (I'm not streaming videos), but a good amount would be nice. Disk space, again, doesn't need to be extreme, but I'd prefer server-grade HDDs. I would greatly prefer to use Debian Squeeze. What I've found is on most of the low cost VPS pages, the providers don't tell you what OS' are available. Why?

Any other things I should know about being leaving Linode to a low-cost VPS?

Thanks!

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr said: I'd like at least 512MB of ram guaranteed.

@unriptr said: I don't need insane amounts of bandwidth (I'm not streaming videos), but a good amount would be nice.

@unriptr said: Disk space, again, doesn't need to be extreme, but I'd prefer server-grade HDDs. I would greatly prefer to use Debian Squeeze.

I signed up for all of this from Hostigation for $6/month. There are plenty of other hosts that offer this. Take a look at http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/openvz/ , read the comments on any hosts that look interesting.

@unriptr said: What I've found is on most of the low cost VPS pages, the providers don't tell you what OS' are available. Why?

Generally, everyone offers the same OS templates. And if you find a host that's not willing to add the OS templates that you want, you should request a refund and find a different host. There are some exceptions to this, like requests for esoteric distros like Gentoo or Arch.

@unriptr said: I want guaranteed resources so I'm going with an OVZ plan.

Get the popcorn!

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr Where are you located? Where do you want the server to be?

@miTgiB https://hostigation.com/?page=OpenVZ
    OVZ-512 - $6/mo

Edit: @Damian beat me to it :P

• Well, guaranteed resources can be on Xen and KVM, On OVZ you can have dedicated memory and disk space but can be oversold. But you will get the lowest prices on OVZ most likely.

• jhjh Member

@unriptr said: I want guaranteed resources so I'm going with an OVZ plan.

OVZ doesn't give you guaranteed anything.

• Thanks for the speedy replies, wow! I have been communicating with Tim at hostigation, and am also reviewing buyVM and catalysthost. What do you think of the other two?

@Damian - yeah, I see there is a debate about overselling/guaranteeing resources, even with OpenVZ. I can see why there is a debate with KVM, but I don't get why the debate with OpenVZ?

@AsadHaider - I'm located in Boston and I'd like the server somewhere in the US- I don't really mind where, though the East Coast is probably better given my location. If and when my webapp grows, I'll need to space out servers geographically, but now it's only serving 100K UVs a day.

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited October 2012

@jhadley said: OVZ doesn't give you guaranteed anything.

Even HDD Space and BW? :(

• @jhadley - my mistake, I thought openVZ was similar to Xen. Why do you say it doesn't guarantee disk space or ram? So what is the benefit of openVZ over KVM, since openVZ is priced higher than KVM?

• There are providers that don't oversell ther OpenVZ nodes. I am sure from reviews BuyVM, Hostigation, CatalystHost and Myself can all handle what you are looking for.

• OpenVZ should be lower than KVM

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr said: Why do you say it doesn't guarantee disk space or ram?

Because you get a 'container', which I think is a good analogy. You basically get a quota on another system, no guarantee that that system will actually have any amount of space on it.

@unriptr said: So what is the benefit of openVZ over KVM, since openVZ is priced higher than KVM?

None, I'd recommend Xen or KVM. OpenVZ is almost always cheaper because it's so easy to administrate and oversell. That's not to say it's bad - quality has more to do with the provider than anything, but if you're looking for guaranteed resources, you shouldn't choose OVZ>

Thanked by 1fan
  • @Zen - what sacrifice am I making vis-a-vis support quality? For instance, I've never contacted Linode for support (other than to change my CC on file), so I don't see what support quality that I'll be missing from an unmanaged LEB provider? Since it's unmanaged, they typically don't help you with anything anyway.

• wdqwdq Member

I'd suggest going with RamNode. They have a $7.50/month plan with 512MB of RAM, a 10GB SSD, and 1000GB of bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • jhjh Member

@unriptr said: what sacrifice am I making vis-a-vis support quality? For instance, I've never contacted Linode for support (other than to change my CC on file), so I don't see what support quality that I'll be missing from an unmanaged LEB provider? Since it's unmanaged, they typically don't help you with anything anyway.

Read some of the threads here. There are some people who don't know how to manage a server or a business here and end up in a lot of trouble. Most offers here are fine, but you need to do research.

• @jhadley THANK YOU. I guess I misread some of these threads; I thought OpenVZ was preferable to KVM. Also, I mixed up the prices of KVM and OpenVZ. It was late, so I blame it on tiredness. :)

In this case, I DEFINITELY want KVM then! What is the downside to KVM over Xen? KVM is rather new technology, correct?

@24khost - I should have mentioned, but I want at least 2 cores. Linode states that you get "4 processor Xen instances", whatever that means? Do you have any KVM plans with at least 2 cores? I run a Tomcat server for an Apache Solr app on the same server that runs nginx, PHP-FPM and MySQL...

• Since nobody else clarified this yet: from reading this i think you are mixing up OpenVZ and Xen/KVM pros/cons exactly. As in, every characteristic you mentioned belongs to the other. Please reread the replies in that context.

• You can't go wrong with either buyvm or hostigation :)

• @jhadley - I hadn't considered that. The old adage, just because you went to medical school doesn't mean you know how to run a doctor's office from the business side rings true here! What do you think of BuyVM and catalysthost?

• jhjh Member

@unriptr said: In this case, I DEFINITELY want KVM then! What is the downside to KVM over Xen? KVM is rather new technology, correct?

KVM gives you "full virtualisation" - you basically get a mini dedicated server. Xen (PV anyway) gives you some limitations.

For most uses, Xen and KVM are just as good as each other.

• jhjh Member

@unriptr said: What do you think of BuyVM and catalysthost?

Haven't used them but since I've been on LET I've only ever heard one bad thing about BuyVM :)

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

@unriptr We only provide cloud based OpenVZ which would still work for you.

But if you want KVM I suggest LoveVPS

• @jhadley - Thanks! Now that we cleared that up, what do you think of hostigation vs BuyVM vs catalysthost.

• @unriptr said: Now that we cleared that up, what do you think of hostigation vs BuyVM vs catalysthost.

I like steak!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@wdq said: I'd suggest going with RamNode. They have a $7.50/month plan with 512MB of RAM, a 10GB SSD, and 1000GB of bandwidth.

Thanks for the mention!

@unriptr How about Atlanta for your VPS location?

• @miTgiB said: I like steak!

I like your marketing :P

• @24khost said: But if you want KVM I suggest LoveVPS

Thanks for the mention.

• @LV_Matt Always!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@unriptr said: what do you think of hostigation vs BuyVM vs catalysthost.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice ;)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

There are two kind of providers : steak lowers and those who not appreciate steaks.

When in doubt ask your provider suggestion for a good steak! Who care of vps... :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If in US Hostigation and Secure Dragon.
    However, any of the, say, top 12 providers in the Q3 top as voted by the community will do just fine.
    Regarding of your list, any will do, based on reviews I saw from ppl I trust, even tho I do not have VPSes with all of them.
    M