Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Listing of ultra-LEBs for $15/annual or less - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Listing of ultra-LEBs for $15/annual or less

Comments

• @KuJoe said: Would there be any interest in a sub-$15/year VPS with IPv6 only? Maybe with a shared IPv4 address for accessing non-IPv6 compatible services/content?

Sounds nice. Assuming netflix/spotify etc all work with NAT, i don't need a dedicated IPv4 for my vpn/IRC.

• @KuJoe said: Would there be any interest in a sub-$15/year VPS with IPv6 only? Maybe with a shared IPv4 address for accessing non-IPv6 compatible services/content?

I've tried this kind of offer from LusoVPS :)
    They're nice. But would you offer it in monthly bases?

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@someJoe been using that site for a while, really like it! ;) Hope they can keep up with the LEBs

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

sub 12€ / year plans were fun (in no way profitable, at least for us :-) ) but we had to reconsider them the day RIPE announced that no more IP were left.
    Our business need IPv4 to grow in the near future (to be optimistic) and knowing we can't apply for more make it hard to give avay them with unprofitable plans.

So I'm thinking about a different way to sell small plans. For example without auto-renew (for one year only) or with the IPv4 available only for the first year (in the hope that in one year the IPv6 adoption will be better than now).

Thanked by 2luxor djvdorp
  • Its nice to see that providers like @prometeus are already planning services for the years to come, gives customers great confidence.

>

Yea I'd take one.. But ofcourse then I think I could pay max 10GBP for a 128MB server and a US one for 15Usd/year.. I Could even take one with more resources and IPv6 -only, because you could for example use one as a database server etc. only.

• @prometeus ever considered a "buy back" scheme for your existing customers with ipv4 addys where you give them ipv6 and some benefit? Just a thought...

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Our 64mb VPS on openvz has sold really well at £7.50/year.

As other people have said this will likely disappear as an offering in the future due to IPV4 costs

• @risharde said: @someJoe been using that site for a while, really like it! ;) Hope they can keep up with the LEBs

I like it a lot as well.. I think I got ~ 15 VPSs via that site. I just wish they had geo search/filter and notifications... but.. its the best I found, aside of LEB :)

• @KuJoe said: I'm assuming the main use for these ULEBs is for VPNs?

VPN, DNS, monitoring script, and backup storage.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm eyeing a prometeus vps for future testing ;)

• @prometeus what about sub $12/year XEN/KVM ipv6 only VPS? :)

Hard to reach from "home", but great between VPS..... I'd love to find this kind of offer!

• @httpzoom said: As other people have said this will likely disappear as an offering in the future due to IPV4 costs

Then charge extra for the IPv4 ;)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@luxor said: what about sub $12/year XEN/KVM ipv6 only VPS? :)

everything will be evalued. We are at some price point which would require special hardware to be deploied for the small plans.

Our E5 nodes cost, complete of raid controller and SAS2 disks 4K eur. Add 24 months of solusvm license, energy and colocation and you will end up with let's say 6K eur of costs in two years = 250€ / month excluding bandwidth, spare, labor and unplanned :-).

You need at least to make 400-500€ /month out of that servers. Do you think it's somehow possible to do that with plans under the 12€ / year? :-)

The E3 nodes are a bit less than half the cost of the E5. Let say we are at 100€ / month. That sound better for very low plans, but still you need to pack 200 vps on a single node to be profitable ;-)

I've some of this:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/2u/2015/sys-2015ta-htrf.cfm

Maybe I can put ssd disks and see how some small vps can perform there :P

Anybody interested to partecipate to a test for this? What price / features ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And all that without counting the IPv4 because that is 1 Eur a month as an extra and the demand is increasing all the time.
    I am afraid it is not possible to offer IPv4 with small plans except by the ppl that have tons of them hoarded before.
    M

• Yeah, Any VPS Providers now who don't have IP Space, Or if you are not going to get it within the next few months reality is you are not going to last the next 1 - 2 years.

• @prometeus said: Maybe I can put ssd disks and see how some small vps can perform there :P

Maybe me? :D

Thanked by 1budingyun
  • @prometeus said: Anybody interested to partecipate to a test for this? What price / features ?

Hit me up if you want me to test, love your service. Thinking about pricing/features now.

• I don't see how to utilize all the ipv6 ip's. I have a few from buyvm, but I don't know how to use them and I don't know how to go to a site using ipv6. I tried putting the address with brackets but it didn't work.

There can be tunnels. Speed will suck, probably routing too, but will get you going.
    I was thinking the opposite, instead of ssd, big sata for storage.
    Doing some math, on 4 gb, without the OS, will be like 3.5 gb left, some 25 or so 128 MB.
    I am thinking like give everyone an IPv6 and a port range from a NAT-ed IPv4. 100 ports should be more than enough.
    300 GB traffic on 100 mbps port, 1 shared core, if SSD then will not be much storage so the usage can be only VPN or monitoring box, IRC and similar, if big SATA can be used as storage too but IO will suck so no IO intensive operations will be allowed.
    Regarding price, depending on storage capacities, I would say 50 cents a month for small ssd storage and 1 Eur per 50 GB on SATA... This will mean a whooping 12.5 Eur for the whole machine in case of SSD and about 25 for SATA storage :)
    It is not worth it for the provider nor for the customer. Anything higher in price will not work unless as a toy.
    So, probably we can play with it a bit to see how valid is an IPv6 low end VPS using some unused resources.
    M

Thanked by 1bnmkl
  • NATing people behind a single ipv4 address might become a liability issue for the host - with all the stupid data retention laws, etc.

edited October 2012

I am not sure I follow, do you think any host keeps logs with connected IPs and samples of traffic which would become somehow impossible with the NAT ?
    M

• @Maounique i know we have legal obligation to be able to identify who used IP x.x.x.x at time Y, and we must keep this information for 1 year.
    With NAT this becomes a problem.

Cool, so all free wi-fi hotspots are illegal, connection sharing, open or wep private wireless APs, IPv6 and the like ?
    I wouldnt count on anyone going to jail if they can only point to some group of ppl or if the data used to sign up is fake.
    M

• @Maounique no, there is no going to jail, but there is a fine. And the risk of your equipment being seized, etc. You know, cops are not the smartest people in the world, even more so our cops...

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @rds100 said: @Maounique no, there is no going to jail, but there is a fine. And the risk of your equipment being seized, etc. You know, cops are not the smartest people in the world, even more so our cops...

Its not the problem of the law enforcement agencies but the legislators. The first have to stick to the law, the latter make it.

• @Jacob said: Yeah, Any VPS Providers now who don't have IP Space, Or if you are not going to get it within the next few months reality is you are not going to last the next 1 - 2 years.

Not really, depends how much IP space your datacenter has stashed away.

• @GetKVM_Ash just like Google Patents?

• You can run a mail server, no spam filtering though, on a small 64MB VPS. I use simple content filters with postfix, and I've gotten very good spam killing. Spamassassin only ends up flagging a handful of messages per month after the content filters.