Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation - Need Suggestions for US West Coast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation - Need Suggestions for US West Coast

ajitajit Member
edited October 2012 in Help

I am thinking of colocating a server in the West Coast. But this is going to be for the first time for me and would like to avoid n00b mistakes! Following are the details:

Machine:
Dell R620
2xE5-2690
128 GB RAM
2x146 GB SAS
2x1TB HDD

Needs:
This is going to be the primary web server for serving a low latency web application.
Bandwidth: Capped at 20TB on 1Gbps port. A bit less or more is fine.
Power: Not sure. Would 1 Amp suffice for 2xE5? If not, I may have to go for 2 Amps @110V.

Budget: Max 150USD pm.

Questions:
What DCs would you recommend for colocation you seasoned hosting gurus?
Is redundant power supply good to have or not required?

Comments

• Where about in the West Coast do you prefer? There are quite a few places.

• Anywhere that provides low latency to SF should be good.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited October 2012

quadranet, webnx and colocrossing are in LA.

Thanked by 1ajit
  • I'm not a "Seasoned Hosting Guru". Heck, I've never colocated before.

But I hear CoreSite is very good.

• YOu will need not only 2A @ 110V for this, more like even 2,5A.

Thanked by 1ajit
  • unusedunused Member
    edited October 2012

Contact Brandon over @ http://www.inforelay.com

• @concerto49 Colocrossing exceeded my budget on the West. Their NY offer was nice. Will reach out to quadranet and webnx.

@William Thanks for the heads up.

Is my budget reasonable?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited October 2012

@ajit said: @concerto49 Colocrossing exceeded my budget on the West. Their NY offer was nice. Will reach out to quadranet and webnx.

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/colocation/&step=0 - 1/4 Rackspace @ dacentec with 5 Amps is only 150/month.

Which location from colocrossing are you looking at?

• I thought Dacentec are in the East. Do they have more DCs? Their colocation package is very nice. Recently rented a dedi with them.

• @ajit said: I thought Dacentec are in the East. Do they have more DCs? Their colocation package is very nice. Recently rented a dedi with them.

Yeah but just in comparison, it shouldn't be THAT expensive I would think from other providers.

• ajitajit Member
    edited October 2012

@concerto49 said: Yeah but just in comparison, it shouldn't be THAT expensive I would think from other providers.

Got it. Makes sense. So far I have found West coast to be costlier than the East. Commercialmedia's offers were even cheaper!

@liam TIL he.net have a DC in Fremont CA. Thanks!

• @Liam said: Hurricane Electric offered cheap power last time I checked.

Ask @Francisco why they moved out of he.net's DC ;-)

• @ajit said: Got it. Makes sense. So far I have found West coast to be costlier than the East. Commercialmedia's offers were even cheaper!

http://webnx.com/co-location/standard-offers.html - 129 + 20 for 2 amp. Might be a bit more for 2.5 amp, but they might be able to offer a discount if you contact them.

• @Liam said: @rds100 I think that is just one of their Fremont datacentres which had power issues. As far as I know they haven't had any issues for a while?

Possibe, i don't know really. But i know BuyVM were pretty unhappy with the several downtimes caused by HE's power problems in Fremont.

• Their fmt2 hasn't had any issues for ages, at least we have never had a single power issue (we moved in in Feb'11), but I cannot say anything about the first facility as we only have space in fmt2.

cheers -
    oz.

• The config seems overkill for a low latency web app. Unless you already bought it, in which case its too late. Nice set up :)

Thanked by 1ajit
  • @GetKVM_Ash This is not a typical webapp. Lots of RAM is required to run quite a few memory hungry processes with low latency (for user interaction). Will share it here once it is ready. :)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited October 2012

@ajit said: @GetKVM_Ash This is not a typical webapp. Lots of RAM is required to run quite a few memory hungry processes with low latency (for user interaction). Will share it here once it is ready. :)

Understood, well good luck finding somebody and i look forward to seeing your app :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@ajit,

I will give you LA in Colocrossing space for $150

PM me if interested

Regards,

Chris

• +1 for QuadraNet

Thanked by 1ajit
  • Telx has a facility in SF if you're looking for SF

• +1 for QuadraNet,they are really nice and helpful.

Thanked by 1ajit
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Just got a couple of servers setup at Colocrossing Seattle. So far so good, so you should consider them as well, however as far as I know they are out of stock.

Thanked by 1ajit
  • Judging by the recommendations, Colocrossing and Quadranet are the top picks.

Amused to see he.net prefer old style forms. I was worried by their condition that a unit requiring more than 2A will be moved to a full cabinet!

• +1 QuadraNet

I do not have experience with single server colo, but I have been with them for over a year now, and the help offered when I have needed it is very good.

• CalPop in LA single server colo for $99