Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft hosting dying?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minecraft hosting dying?

lele0108lele0108 Member
edited October 2012 in General

I feel that Minecraft hosting is dying, it's like a bubble burst. I took a look at WebHostingTalk, and their were about 5 hosts that were "official" for sale.

Minecraft hosting dead forever? Or is this just a era of depression, and a recovery will peruse?

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If it recovers it won't reach its former levels. Could be dying.

• Because people just realized that Java is the worst programming language and the Minecraft "fandom" died out, just like any "fandom" would.

It doesn't apply to this game, Team Fortress 2.
    inb4 tf2 game server hosts invasion

• Talking to like 10 different providres, it seems like it's getting saturated. In addition, the game itself is kind of dying.

:C

• And the summer is over too in the northern hemisphere ;-)

Thanked by 2JTR netomx
  • A LOT of hosts on the market, and every game's population dwindles over time, it's inevitable.

• Highly doubt that the game is dying. It is only getting more popular as time goes on.

Yeah, the Minecraft hosting market is VERY over-saturated, with kid hosts everywhere. I think school is another reason why maybe kids aren't ordering servers as much.

• wdqwdq Member

The Minecraft server I run always seems to die off this time of year since school is starting up. It seems to pick up after the holidays and into the spring/summer.

• @Zen said: they plan on monetizing MC2 by cutting out the hosts.

They'll be hosting the servers themselves, ala EA and other PC game makers nowadays?

• Got a free server but I don't know how to play the game nor how to set up the server so I gave up after 10 minutes, never touched that server again...

And I think that is why probably MC is not that fast in gaining new subscribers, or may be I am just too old for those games :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

Anyone running game server hosting that doesn't try to diversify their product offering is going to suffer. One game can only be that popular for so long. Minecraft may stand a lot longer than many, and it may have many more boosts in popularity before it drops, but it won't last forever.

Just like the current VPS boom. As the cost of dedicated resources decreases the LEB market will become too saturated and start to lose it's appeal at the same time. It will happen.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@zhuanyi said: or may be I am just too old for those games :)

I recognize the sympthoms, you are too old.

• SHame to see the market die, but I knew this was going to happen, and saw the peak and the fall.

I think most hosts will die off and only some 'larger' hosts will persist.

• When I ask my group of work friends, they tend to go for "hamachi" servers and just local host it like that, rather than pay a provider....

• Ammm long time dont post hee but about whats is going on with minecraft hosting ...

Is that guys (young or old) are bored of the same game, same things.

Old Server = a lot of players (communities, clans)

New Server = few players (most of them young)

|---> Owners of New Servers stop paying for hosting.

And more reasons of course.

• JTRJTR Member

@lele0108 said: I feel that Minecraft hosting is dying, it's like a bubble burst. I took a look at WebHostingTalk, and their were about 5 hosts that were "official" for sale.

Where? Do you have some links?

@Nick_A said: If it recovers it won't reach its former levels. Could be dying.

Activity will jump up again with 1.4, but yes, it's starting to decline.

@GIANT_CRAB said: It doesn't apply to this game, Team Fortress 2.
    inb4 tf2 game server hosts invasion

Good point. TF2 is still extremely popular today, despite being released around 5 years ago. Minecraft in comparison is only 3 years old.

@rds100 said: And the summer is over too in the northern hemisphere ;-)

Exactly! The Minecraft Forums are also seeing lower post volumes also since summer ended, Citricsquid said it's gone from (IIRC, I might be slightly off on the figures) 30k posts/day to 16k posts/day.

@NateN34 said: Highly doubt that the game is dying. It is only getting more popular as time goes on.

Yeah, the Minecraft hosting market is VERY over-saturated, with kid hosts everywhere. I think school is another reason why maybe kids aren't ordering servers as much.

School is a big factor, but overall popularity is declining. Still, it's the 9th best selling video game in the world, so it's not going to die quickly...

@Zen said: I disagree, they plan on monetizing MC2 by cutting out the hosts.

Mojang isn't even able to keep the login/session/skin/site servers up and running, I doubt they have the manpower, skills or interest to sell servers. A large part of Minecraft's success is the 300k+ servers, if you had to rent directly from Mojang, it would discourage a lot of people from running servers.

• IIRC the paying model was posted on Notch's Tumblr blog or Twitter a year or two ago when he was discussing ways of making money since they promised everyone that all updates and DLCs would be free.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited October 2012

Here are some snippets from Minecraft server host reps / owners showing their frustration and views on the current state of the market. A lot of Minecraft hosts are disappearing and closing down now too. I also frequently speak to a lot of others who are feeling the exact same way. These people are not "kiddie" hosts and have legitimate companies that have been around for a while.

"The Minecraft industry is much harder than it was before, primarily due to the insanely low pricing everybody runs because they don't pay their employees nearly as much as we did. A couple companies made it big, but that's because they started before the market practically crashed."

I will offer you 1.5gb for $4.75 per month. To accomplish this I will stop paying taxes, close down the office and move the operation to my basement, sell my children and grossly oversell my product so I can make about a $0.25 per month profit.

You'll also see that Minecraft is losing search volume too: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=minecraft

Thanked by 1martip07
  • flyfly Member

i dont think there's gonna be a minecraft "2" any time soon just because they're already doing basically rolling updates.

• There's only so much you can do and the game is only so fun..

• @winston said: There's only so much you can do and the game is only so fun..

It's fun for a while, but it doesn't have any real lasting power.

• Cash out before it is too late!

• Nonono problem is that almost all the servers are the same ......... :S

I mean you read RPG Server ... you imagine something like D&D or LoR but no is jsut RPG cuz they play with economy pluggins, towny and similar.

And to be honest I am bored of that I want a simple Vanilla Server (like ol school) problem is when people destroy everything, or dont respect you :S

• @Spencer said: Cash out before it is too late!

Can't cash out, we have gear and stuff, just moving onto different markets :P