Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Sky price increase.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another Sky price increase.

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited October 2012 in General

Anybody else here with Sky?

I just got another letter through..

"Your Sky line rental will increase by £2.25/month". Im not joking, this is the third price increase in under 6 months. When i first got it, the monthly bill was £38.00, now its £46+.

And all because there rolling out features that Virgin have had for ages (On demand). Absolutely ridiculous.

Comments

• Hell no.

Standard TV, Unlimited Internet + Phone.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited October 2012

@GetKVM_Ash So it's bundled with your TV package? What are you getting/paying (just for the broabdand)?

Edit..

@GetKVM_Ash said: Standard TV, Unlimited Internet + Phone.

Ah ok :P Change your ISP? Are Sky any good? What are you getting with them?

• The broadband is quality, cant fault that. But the TV side is meh. They have no on demand features right now (BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc) they have "Sky anytime" which has hardly anything on it. And most of them are from box office, so you have to pay extra again.

They are releasing on demand in November which is the reason for the price increase according to this letter. But Virgin have had all of that for ages now with Tivo.

Everytime i have had a letter from Sky, its been regarding a price increase. Just dug up the old letters and its actually been three increases in 4 month's.

• @Liam said: I have had on demand with virgin for like 3 years. You can record with tivo too.

Yep, Tivo is included for free with all packages now as well, so im paying significantly more for a lot less with Sky!

• @GetKVM_Ash Get an apple tv box something for iPlayer/4OD. I use my PS3 which I think you can use Netflix with too.

And do you have Sky+ or something? We have one of their "original" boxes from years and years ago which just has the standard tv.

• @AsadHaider said: And do you have Sky+ or something? We have one of their "original" boxes from years and years ago which just has the standard tv.

Yeah i have Sky+. I bought a WD TV Live box the other day for OD and USB/network streaming the other day, its fantastic.

• @GetKVM_Ash If you don't use any of the Sky+ stuff and don't want to pay for it, can you not downgrade to a standard box? or phone em up and threaten to cancel, see if that'll knock the price back down.

• @AsadHaider said: @GetKVM_Ash If you don't use any of the Sky+ stuff and don't want to pay for it, can you not downgrade to a standard box? or phone em up and threaten to cancel, see if that'll knock the price back down.

That's probably going to be my next move :) I think i might just cancel altogether though and look into an alternative for internet + TV.

• The Sky+HD box IS the standard box now :-)

• It's BT who are forcing the price increase on line rental, nothing Sky can do about that increase unless they wish to make a loss on a service.

• @ghoulnet said: It's BT who are forcing the price increase on line rental, nothing Sky can do about that increase unless they wish to make a loss on a service.

And the other two... :P

• £46 is cheap, We pay that for TV and Phone alone.

• @Jacob said: £46 is cheap, We pay that for TV and Phone alone.

Who are you with LOL

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

We use Sky TV and Sky Broadband (although don't pay for broadband..). We rarely use the TV (mum watches a few crime programs, that's it), and mainly rely on Netflix for watching stuff.

We'd cancel Sky TV, but if we done that they'd probably click on that we've got broadband for free.. so might as well stick with it.

• Switch to virgin media :) We always threaten to leave Virgin Media at the end of the contract and always stay because there "Retentions" do some good deals always or do what @Zen said works normally if you've been a long existing customer

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The Sky is the limit...
    I have seen an ugly practice here too, for example I got all the channels including HBO and whatnot because was a very good deal and my aunt is 93 and doesnt have much else to do.
    They removed some discovery-like channels (history channel, discovery investigation and 3 others) and want some 1.5 Eur to re-enable them.
    Even my aunt said that is so immoral that wouldnt give them one cent more, even if they close all channels. If they would have just increase the price, no problem, everybody does every now and then and it was an excellent deal anyway, but choosing this way only managed to upset everyone. It is also a company that tried to eliminate the few channels that have the guts to expose the extremely unpopular president which lost the referendum 9:1 and was reinstated by Barroso and Merkel.
    I concluded the deal on 16'th of December, soon will be free to switch :)
    M

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited October 2012

@StormVZ said: We always threaten to leave Virgin Media at the end of the contract

We just do it when we want a speed upgrade. heh.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

@StormVZ said: Switch to virgin media :) We always threaten to leave Virgin Media at the end of the contract and always stay because there "Retentions" do some good deals always or do what @Zen said works normally if you've been a long existing customer

I think everyone does that, we do that too.

@ElliotJ said: We just do it when we want a speed upgrade. heh.

Yeah, or a discount to the current package.

edited October 2012

@Jack said: It didn't work for me :( , They turn around and say 'if you leave you can't come back for 31 days'

No, it's 6 months now but meh. What you do is get someone you know at Virgin, cancel your contract, get them to setup a modem/TV box for that 6 months and make sure the MAC code is already activated and Virgin doesn't see then sign up again and get the signup deals.

• @Jack Go on HotUKDeals.com or Virgin Community forums and search for what other users are getting, we use this as evidence and sometimes make it up and we always get free upgrades / new hardware / discounts if not on the 1st call definitely on the 2nd!

@Liam said: Interesting, I have never encountered this, where did you read it?

If ti's true I'd be a millionaire.

@Jack said: I kinda have an issue though my house doesn't have a BT line so Virgin is my only option.

Same here, the BT line is kinda broken and we're moving out in a year or so so there's no point re-wiring. But I get my full allocated speed on VM right now.

• Extortion much? lol

Thankfully, lines are fairly consistent here in APAC.

• qwerty6666qwerty6666 Member
    edited October 2012

You are really lucky to pay only 46£ for all that

I pay around 85£ (140$CAD) for the same things .

-Base tv ( like 5 channel ) + 15 channel i can choose = around 20tv channel
    -Capped Internet 120GB max BW 30 mb down 1mb up
    -base phone

im with videotron
    I'm actually pretty satisfied by the service . Their service is really great compare to their only competitor Bell canada . Also price are almost the same at both buisness

• @qwerty6666 said: Their service is really great compare to their only competitor Bell canada

You are in Quebec?

• TalkTalk are dishing out 12month subs to Netflix, spotify and a free youview box... along with them having their 40 & 80Mbit speeds (well, it was these until recently... 38/76 respectivly.

• @zhuanyi said: You are in Quebec?

yes

• 69EUR:
    TV (Austrian channels, German channels, Few others from Iran, Turkey, US etc.)
    100/10Mbit cable w/ static IP + flat
    Telephone with like 1k minutes, never used

• Far out. In New Zealand I'm paying £49/month for 80GB Bandwidth and Local Calling. I wouldn't be complaining if I were you :)

• @FTN_Nick said: Far out. In New Zealand I'm paying £49/month for 80GB Bandwidth and Local Calling. I wouldn't be complaining if I were you :)

Ouch. Im not really complaining about the price, its how they are dealing with them. I dont expect to pay XYZ for a service and have it increased 3 times in such a short amount of time.