Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restore nginx to default config
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Restore nginx to default config

juan_144juan_144 Member
edited October 2012 in General

I removed the package, releted all files, reinstalled and the system left the dirs empty. Where is the trigger? I think it is suposed to redo all missing files required.

Comments

• Is /etc/nginx removed?

• How are you removing/reinstalling/etc, what operating system, what configuration? If it's the official debian/ubunutu packages from wiki.nginx.org it should install even the default config to something like /etc/nginx. If it's freebsd /usr/local/etc/nginx/ and so forth.

Need more information to give you a specific answer.

• I use Debian 6 32 bits, the /etc/nginx was removed after a normal uninstall using apt-get.

When I reinstall, with apt-get too, but the config is not recreated.

• Run dpkg --get-selections | grep nginx to see if there are any packages marked with "install" or "deinstall"
    Then run apt-get purge [packagename] and replace [packagename] with the packages from the first command's output.

Thanked by 1juan_144
  • @George_Fusioned said: Then run apt-get purge [packagename] and replace [packagename] with the packages from the first command's output.

Thanks, it worked. But why the system do it?

• When you apt-get remove [packagename] apt removes installed package, but leaves configuration files intact.
    apt-get purge [packagename] on the other hand, completely removes a package and it's associated configuration files.

Thanked by 1seikan