Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Surveillance - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Video Surveillance

2»

Comments

• Okay, let me update this.

In total I have spent about $190 bones for

4 CCD cameras ($120): http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Outdoor-Bullet-Security-Infrared/dp/B001IBFSJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349585686&sr=8-1&keywords=security+camera
    4 100 foot cables (ebay, $34 shipped)
    1 DVR PCI card ($33 shipped): http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Channel-Security-Surveillance-System/dp/B0044R75JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349585642&sr=8-1&keywords=dvr+pci

I had an old celeron sitting around (with a 30GB IDE HDD). Have the machine in a central location (closet). Ran an extra router to it to cover more of the house (plus to hook up the "DVR"). All my old routers have no support for dd-wrt (so I ran a cable to it (no problem, it's all under the rug)).

So what about the 30GB HDD? Well, the machine is purely a receiver, all reads and writes will be done on another server in a different location (via NetDrive). So if a theft noticed the cameras and began to trace the wires, all he would get it a dumby server with no data. Both machines are behind locked doors (dead bolts).

I'm currently waiting for the cameras to come in... everything else is pretty much setup.

Pretty neat and so far, happy with it.

• @Noxter What's your budged for HDD?

• Well, it's a home server with 2 RE4's. For a total of 2TB in Raid0.

Problem is NetDrive limits the virtual drive to 524GB. I'll most likely end up rebuilding in Raid1.

Should get cameras tomorrow. Shipped late for some reason.

Installed all the wires yesterday and just noticed I had run the wrong ends. Nooooooo! Now I need to rerun everything. That or I splice the two dc cables and switch them.

• I have a home security system setup with Zoneminder. It has 4 IP cams which can be wireless, but which I ran Ethernet to. Pretty much any ip cam will work with it. You just need to determine the path to the video stream. I am using cheap infrared cams to monitor for motion, and capture events (wansview NC541W). Again, if you are wanting good picture quality, I would increase the budget for the cams.