Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you make Ubuntu Office to work compatible with MS office?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you make Ubuntu Office to work compatible with MS office?

DNSbedDNSbed Barred
edited October 2012 in General

I now use macbook most time, MS has a mac version of office, that's even better than its own windows office IMO.
I have also a Thinkpad which has ubuntu installed. The big problem for me to use Linux is the office compatibility with MS's, no matter LibreOffice or Openoffice. For example, I write a document with ubuntu office, send it to others who use windows, they most probably can't open it at all. Except the office problems, I think Ubuntu Linux is very suitable to me, I know Linux well, and programming under it everyday.
Would like to hear you to share your experience, :p

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just install the Windows version of office in wine. It works fine.

Thanked by 1DNSbed
  • jhjh Member

Is OpenOffice still a thing?

• Libreoffice, OO.o is dead IMHO.

You can either try Crossover office, (wine on crack), or a VM with windows, or use a Windows VPS. Or, office 365 (online), windows live hotmail office via skydrive.

Thanked by 1DNSbed
  • I use OpenOffice, I haven't tried to run saved docs on Windows though. Not sure if what @jarland will work but it is worth a shot.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: I use OpenOffice, I haven't tried to run saved docs on Windows though. Not sure if what @jarland will work but it is worth a shot.

To be honest I don't really have trouble moving from libreoffice to office on windows. It's all about the export format. But I've been running it in wine lately (testing to roll out linux on school lab computers). Winetricks helps.

• Go Google Docs :D LibreOffice nor OO.o has a fair amount of Java code which makes it extremely inefficient.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are slight problems on opening docs from one in another.
    Tables seem to suffer, no support for macros and a few other glitches.
    In general, it can be worked with OO and MS Office and at work ppl do this every day. I have more problems between various office versions (some ppl didnt budge and had to get them MS office) than with OO.
    Just save in MS format from creation, you can put it as default and half the problems are gone.
    M

• google docs, Libreoffice and OpenOffice work ugly

• I disagree with those saying Google Docs - LibreOffice is a much better choice (OO.o is dead, forget it) if you need a full-featured word processor. GDocs is good in a pinch but it doesn't come close to matching LibreOffice for advanced functionality (as much as LibreOffice doesn't quite match up to Word).

Yes, LO isn't as efficient as Word... but I'd be pretty shocked if a modern system couldn't handle it. I'm not sure what you'd need to do with it that would cause its inefficiency to become a serious problem.

• Wine or install windows as vm

• save to .doc not .docx...

Thanked by 2jar tux
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited October 2012

@likexian said: google docs, Libreoffice and OpenOffice work ugly

Dude, have you even seen LibreOffice on Ubuntu? It looks just fine :) Google Docs has some serious limitations and it definitely not as speedy as OO or LO.

@Raymii said: Libreoffice, OO.o is dead IMHO.

OO.o is now an Apache project, so far from dead. They both have a future and it wouldn't surprise me if they would eventually merge again. Fucking Orcale messing everything up :(

• From what I know, WPS (a good alternative for MS Word) has the Linux Release soon.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@mpkossen said: OO.o is not an Apache project

Maybe you mean now instead of not ?
    I think LO is now not much different, they were the Libre ones but now oo proper jumped out of Oracle ship.
    Anyway, looks like LO is a tad faster, at least that is how i feel it.
    M

• klikliklikli Member
    edited October 2012

@DNSbed said: WPS (far from alternative to MS Word)

• Ms office can handle odt format since 2007 version.

• @Maounique said: Maybe you mean now instead of not ?

Yeah, I corrected it now ;)

• @lainme said: Ms office can handle odt format since 2007 version.

^SP2

• http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm - just released a Linux version of their office suite. Use this at work sometimes, good comp.

• @Raymii softmaker looks nice, but they have only the paid version, no free or opensource release.

• @DNSBed You have a trial, and if you like it, buy it. The 2010 version is up on the torrent networks, the 2012 is not yet...

Thanked by 1DNSbed