Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No desktop allowed in Linux - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No desktop allowed in Linux

Comments

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost,
    Torrent + firefox was a killer. While the result wasn't horrific,still it was degrading nodes performance.
    @zhuanyi can you kindly pm me your container id?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: I do not like to repeat my self over and over again.

Look at the specific containers causing the issue then, all I see here is a knee jerk reaction. I could X-Forward firefox and never run the GUI on your node and be in compliance with your ToS.

Honestly, I've never seen another host complain about these issues, well torrents, but limit the speed of seeding or ban it, but firefox...... Either you've become an abuser magnet or you have serious i/o issues to address before you find yourself banning everything under the sun.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • TazTaz Member

@miTgiB said: Either you've become an abuser magnet

A bit too much tbh.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk next time please have someone proofread your official announcement emails. If you want i can have a quick look over it for you.

@Infinity said: Means I should call pretty much everyone here uncle too..

But if a 14 years old calls strange man uncle, it's just weird :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

In my country it was at first a sign of respect for older ppl, as unchias meant really old in older romanian (17-18 centuries) and unchi means uncle.
    Now only few ppl use it, but Uncle calls himself that way, Uncle Sal, even in the forums it is his nick unclesal, so I dont know why this is an issue with anyone :)
    M

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: but firefox.

are the flash plugins which cause spike of load. For I mistake I did on an offer I got 20 users from china and even on a beefy node I see the effects :-)

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

Dear Users [Clients would be better],

I want to start this off with thanking everyone for their business. It has come to our attention that with a lot of people running a desktop on their VPS that our system is under heavy loads.[2x that is also not elegant] From this point on we are going to disallow the use of desktops on our VPS servers. This is also going to be posted on our acceptable usage policy. If you are already running desktops, you will have [time] till October 10_th_, 2012 to backup and migrate your files. On October 11[,] anyone[,] who is running a desktop on our VPS platform[,] will have their VPS terminated without any backup.

If you have any inquiry[,] please open a support ticket and we will be more than happy to help you .

Although i'm not 100% about the commata (and keeping in mind that English is my 2nd language) I count ~10 errors in a 5 line announcement.

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Amitz
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@ErawanArifNugroho said: :O How old are you?

Meh, turned 15 around a month ago.

• @prometeus said: I got 20 users from china

Don't you love it when they complain about a slow node and you suspend their account as the abuser :)

• In Indonesia, we call someone older by Sir or Uncle to show the respect :D
    If you older than me, you can call me by name, but I'm not allowed to call you by your name only :)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Infinity said: Meh, turned 15 around a month ago.

:p How come a 15 years old become a teacher :p

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2012

You've given no information of the memory allocation of those VPSs that are running the desktops, nor the OSs they use. You may get more sympathy if you are forthcoming about these.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Maybe it's just me, but trying to make the system run smooth while letting people do just about whatever they want (besides spam/dos) is truly entertaining.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@rchurch said: You've given no information of the memory allocation of those VPSs that are running the desktops, nor the OSs they use. You may get more sympathy if you are forthcoming about these.

Nope, he wont. On LEB/LET everyone expects the moon for hot-dog money.
    I dont say it is a bad thing, but there is one thing to hope and another to demand.
    We do have great deals here, we do not always appreciate the efforsts, however, I am not with ninja now because, if he made a mistake and didnt consider the effects at the time he made the offer can at most cease the offer of change ToS/AUP FROM NOW ON, not retroactively and try to manage the situation.
    I hope he will understand this because popcorn makes us fat.
    M

• TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@Maounique said: Nope, he wont. On LEB/LET everyone expects the moon for hot-dog money.

I dont say it is a bad thing, but there is one thing to hope and another to demand.
    We do have great deals here, we do not always appreciate the efforsts, however, I am not with ninja now because, if he made a mistake and didnt consider the effects at the time he made the offer can at most cease the offer of change ToS/AUP FROM NOW ON, not retroactively and try to manage the situation.
    I hope he will understand this because popcorn makes us fat.
    M

Change in plan, blocking firefox + Flush plugin + Torrent. Welcome GUI/Desktop.

Now only if anyone wants to help me on writing apology email with the new info.

• @gsrdgrdghd @Taz_NinjaHawk, I just came up with what to say. I would have had somebody proof read it.

@Taz_NinjaHawk Sorry about not getting a proof read done.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I didn't read this thread because it's been a busy day today, but I feel a company should be allowed to dictate their own TOS for whatever reason.

That is all.

Thanked by 2klikli marrco
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

@liam said: This is what happens when you use one sata drive and cram loads of folk on.

I'm pretty sure they said they use RAID10?

@ErawanArifNugroho said: :p How come a 15 years old become a teacher :p

Me? Usually teachers have knowledge (apart from at my school), knowledge and my name don't go together. ;)

• nabonabo Member
    edited October 2012

@KuJoe said: I feel a company should be allowed to dictate their own TOS for whatever reason

Sure, but a concluded agreement cannot be changed solely by one of the parties. I doubt that all of his contracts end on 11th of October.

But then again, this is LET. It's still partly a jungle here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@liam Dacentec modifies raid10? Granted if you rent you have to mail them a controller.

• TazTaz Member

@nabo a part of our TOS clearly states that

These Terms of Service May Change

Due to our evolving business, and the changing nature of the web hosting industry, these terms of service may change. We will post the changes here, and your continued use of the service means you accept the changes we have made.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • TazTaz Member

@jarland doubt dacentec offered e3 for 60$

• TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@Liam 4hd on raid 10. Thank you for your useful comments.

edited October 2012

@nabo said: Sure, but a concluded agreement cannot be changed solely by one of the parties.

I'm not here to argue whether or not a TOS is a contract or whether or not a company should be allowed to make their service better for all of their clients without walking on egg shells. I'm just saying that the "attack the host for doing something that makes their service better" threads aren't going to help the industry as a whole.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @liam said: I thought they were with Dacentec?

I think that's @jarland

• nabonabo Member
    edited October 2012

@KuJoe said: attack the host for doing something that makes there service better

Regarding the origin of the thread, this is an interesting definition of to make service better.

@nabo said: Regarding the origin of the thread, this is an interesting definition of to make service better.

According to the e-mail I read in the OP, they are doing this to prevent high loads on their servers, I think most clients would benefit from lower loads (CPU/disk IO) thus making it better.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • TazTaz Member

@nabo said: make service better.

@nabo we tend to cater a different type of user base.
    From my post on our latest offer thread
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5029/7mo-1gb-ram-2gb-vswap-50gb-storage-ninjahawk-let-special#Item_12

for the better of the mass and to provide a stable platform for our average users and I believe that most of our clients would agree with that. Our servers are setup for the everyday users who use VPS for normal purpose.

It was clearly stated in public. I am pretty sure that running fullblown desktop, firefox and downloading torrent under 1gb ram doesn't fell under normal usage.

Try running your own computer with the specs of our vps and contact me back if your computer doesn't crash.

• TazTaz Member

@liam said: I'm sure you were with them. I remember the offer you sent, I can dig it out?

We have nodes with dacentec but that doesn't mean we need to lease their server. I believe me and my people have stated this before "We own our hardware".