Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill vs. WHMCS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill vs. WHMCS

Comments

• edited October 2012

Aside from their support the interface (customer and admin) is very friendly and easy to work with. They need better QA before patches/new features are released, we have experienced issues twice after patches were released. These were functions that were working properly prior to the patches. Response time is okay, usually within 24-48 hours but some times we have to keep pushing and following up to get a fix.

In the beginning hostbill was extremely buggy for us. We have had many issues but have managed to get them fixed over a 3-4 months period. By buggy I mean features that were causing us to lose money and customers, which is extremely irritating.

We still wouldn't switch to WHMCS, they aren't cloud friendly.

• @stylexnetworks said: We still wouldn't switch to WHMCS, they aren't cloud friendly.

for now , yes.

thanks for sharing your views HostBill :)

• @Randy

IMO hostbill is damaging their brand due to lack of man power.

• @stylexnetworks said: IMO hostbill is damaging their brand due to lack of man power.

and hopeless support + CEO giving crap , but i must say i find their interface nice and sharp. :)

• @Randy

They don't have enough employees. Kris seems to take care of sales, support, billing and everything else. This just brings efficiently and quality down.

• what is your guess on how many employees they have? well, they could try being cheap and outsource but they didn't :)

• "About Us
    KBKP Software S.C. is self-funded, privately owned company based in Poland. We helped over 2000 companies around the globe from various industries build their brands on top of stable billing, automation, support and client management solution HostBill provides.
    "

Bullshit

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Nexus said: "About Us

KBKP Software S.C. is self-funded, privately owned company based in Poland. We helped over 2000 companies around the globe from various industries build their brands on top of stable billing, automation, support and client management solution HostBill provides.
    "

Bullshit

Which part are you calling BS on?

• NexusNexus Member
    edited October 2012

2000 Companies on top of stable, reliable and automated client management solutions?

It's way to broad, do they mean.. "Clientexec, WHMCS, etc/etc". Or just random client management solutions which is about the same logic as a website designer company selling used templates to different customers and then using a slogan; "We have built thousands of unique websites for users across the globe!". As in the end-user doesn't even know that it's merely the same template. Egotistical "Who Are We" pages like that are atrocious and despicable. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@Nexus said: It's way to broad, do they mean.. "Clientexec, WHMCS, etc/etc".

I'm confused. They make HostBill, so wouldn't that be basically saying they have 2000 companies running their software? It sounds logical and reasonable as I'm reading it, perhaps I'm missing what you're trying to say.

• @jarland I agree - while if it were untrue (and able to prove so), I'd call it 'despicable' - however it is possible that there are 2k+ HostBillApp clients, especially from their historic licensing options.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me quite likely that their software powers the billing of over 2,000 firms. Further to that, obviously, they'd call their solution a "stable billing, automation, support and client management solution".

I'm I'm missing some shameful aspect of that, I do appologise :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

I'm sure it's not "bullshit" as large providers, such as vpsland would have increased their sales.

I must admit support is slow but at times we get a response in minutes day or night.

Also since WHMCS/cPanel partnership I can only guess they will work mostly on the cPanel / WHMCS integration side.

• I've been waiting for a month for them to make a script to import ALL data from WHMCS
    Extremely slow.

• @ChrisK said: I've been waiting for a month for them to make a script to import ALL data from WHMCS

Extremely slow.

On that front, I agree - import (for me) will grab all the clients, and thats pretty much it.

Though I am sure it should import services - I'm just not doing something quite the way they want me to. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just have to pull all the data manually.

Glad it's not just me on their backs about a proper migration script.

• Well they just released an update few days ago:
    http://blog.hostbillapp.com

So I guess they have other priorities.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@StormVZ said: So I guess they have other priorities.

Well they did say they'd consider feature additions, not promise to add them in other people's time frame. Pretty sure a third party could accomplish this task, just no one wants it bad enough.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited October 2012

Don't forget VPS.net / Singlehop and a few more gave away free hostbill licenses at one point.

Considering how many licenses WHMCS have 2000 is a pretty realistic number from HostBill.

And OnApp gave it away for free with there Cloud-in-a-box scheme.

• Just received an email from WHMCS about their partnership with cPanel. This might not be news, but they are making it more official:
    "cPanel & WHM is a leading control panel for the Linux operating system, used by more WHMCS users than any other. And so we are pleased to announce that we have joined forces, with the goal of creating a more integrated solution for web hosting providers that will provide a more cohesive solution." - blah blah blah....

While we provide high performance shared hosting, I'd like to say this: shared hosting can't die fast enough....

Anyway, it looks like WHMCS has lots of money and manpower. Having an alternative is always good because monopolies are no good to anyone or for anyone.

• @jhadley said: HostBill has a nice feature set but the support is just so bad that I would stay away from it.

implying that WHMCS has better support

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vpsnodebox said: Having an alternative is always good because monopolies are no good to anyone or for anyone.

Exactly, even for themselves, monopolies tend to become wasteful and anchored in the past. Modern management does help, but cant work miracles. An amateur using his best judgement will probably perform better at a smaller scale than any top manager having to deal with a huge organization and it's inertia. Lobby and lawyers might help them, patents and whatnot, but at the end of the day, nobody wants an economy dominated by giant monopolies, not even themselves or the politicians they buy, it remains to understand that.
    M

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2012

@jhadley said: HostBill has a nice feature set but the support is just so bad that I would stay away from it.

HostBill's support isn't bad, it's just delayed.

• edited October 2012

I'll take back what I said. We just faced another issue where the system fails to terminate accounts that are past due.

Yet another simple feature that fails to work properly.

• stylex that is bad. did you lose any money?

• @Randy

At this point the main focus is to get the problem resolved with host bill... nothing we can do about the past.

• @Stylexnetworks

We aren't have any issue like that, not that I am aware of anyway.

But you should always do atleast a daily audit, if not weekly. Even with WHMCS we found sometimes things where not being terminated as they should.

• edited October 2012

@LV_Matt

Well the problem is that host bill doesn't set the account status as terminated. I'll give a scenario.. much easier to understand.

Customer doesn't pay his invoice and after 7 days the system is told to terminate an account if invoice hasn't been paid. Cron runs and once finished it will return account termination failed (this is normal since hostbill can't set the account status as terminated unless the machine is destroyed) and it will also state that the machine has been scheduled for destruction. The machine does get destroyed by OnAPP and it is gone for good. However the problem is that the account status in hostbill remains suspended because hostbill doesn't re-run the cron again to make sure accounts that failed to be terminated are actually terminated inside hostbill.

Now what happens is that the system is set to generate an invoice and then the customer gets notified again. Also another way for abusers to stay on our network.

Regardless, this issue has to be fixed. I am sure every body that uses hostbill experiences this but they haven't noticed it yet.

• @stylexnetworks That's pretty bad. It becomes a real problem with a couple thousand customers.

@LV_Matt Maybe the problem is isolated to OnApp?

• @vpsnodebox

This isn't related to OnApp in any way. Its entirely within hostbill.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited October 2012

@jarland said: I'm confused. They make HostBill, so wouldn't that be basically saying they have 2000 companies running their software? It sounds logical and reasonable as I'm reading it, perhaps I'm missing what you're trying to say.

@jarland, sorry for the late response.

I totally misinterpreted their wording. My initial impression thought that they helped build 2,000 other client management systems. I apologize for going on that rant. Wow, I must have read it totally wrong, Thanks for the clarification, wont happen again :)

• @stylexnetworks said: This isn't related to OnApp in any way. Its entirely within hostbill.

I am sorry I didn't know that. If that's the case then it's pretty bad and that shouldn't happen. I know, I know, tell it to HostBill :) I guess that if I would be in your shoes I would be pissed off and fuming....