Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important it is to secure your domain before starting your business!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important it is to secure your domain before starting your business!

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited September 2012 in General

I was curious why @Jack used dotvps.co rather than .com

And here is what I found:

http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?language=us&domain=dotvps.com

10,000GBP, I am wondering how many hosting providers here make this much out of their business every year.

Comments

• @Jack said: We never had .com we had .net

Why'd you change though?

• @Jack Just can't help but realize that your logo looks like the Dual Quad core icon on LSN :3

Thanked by 1Asad
  • Methinks Jack needs a pastebin of the story. If he retells the story, it'll be the 3rd or 4th iteration of it on LET....

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • It's almost certain that the domain has already been registered on .com when a provider uses other extensions. (excludes those like co.uk/.at/.eu/.it/ and etc where providers are based in the country). Having the .com of your name is probably the most important thing to me, if a .com is already registered, I just move on and think of another name. :)

• Whenever I want to start a project, I would always want to think of a name first and if it is online I will make sure I check the domain is available. Yes it is a pain but I just think it is much better, say, for example, to spend money advertising dotvps as a brand and ended up driving up the traffic (and the price) for dotvps.com.

Obviously dotvps.co is just a great name and at the end of the day, it is really the service that matters, but I guess it is something we all need to learn here?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi said: Whenever I want to start a project, I would always want to think of a name first

Me too. I am surprised how many LEB .com hosts don't secure even .net domain and those are still available. Is it that hard to spend additional 9$ if you mean serious with business to protect future trademark?
    I tend to register com/net and potentially .org even for my most dumbest online projects. I look at this as investment. And if atleast .net isn't available anymore (apart from .com) I don't even try to build anything with unavailable major gTLDs word no matter how cool it sound. Exceptions are some ccTLDs where is used specific country domain extension for specific purpose (word.domainextension combination hack).

• @Spirit said: word.domainextension combination hack

such as bornin.asia :)

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • I think if you're a big company, like Google, it is important to secure .com/.net/.org/etc. But if you are small like here on LET, it may not be as important, but it's a good idea if you have the resources.

• @jack, Any id verification process took place? That could have always been an option. Maybe send them copy of your initial signup with enom and such?

• Ahh, I see. Tried contacting the old owner? I mean, paypal always keep transaction logs and such.