Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you host with GoDaddy? If so, give one good reason. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you host with GoDaddy? If so, give one good reason.

2»

Comments

• @serverbear Thanks for the info, really useful :)

• GoDaddy is cancer to the web.

• @serverbear said: Some interesting stats here on market share: http://trends.builtwith.com/hosting

Where's BuyVM? :p. The ponies aren't around.

• @Nexus According to those stats they don't host anything in the 10,000 Top sites, which means that they are the #1 company hosting all the junk. Way to go ... GoDaddy!

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

@vpsnodebox Maybe because top 10000 sites require more/top resources/enterprise hosting, managed service, which isn't godaddys client base?

Those big sites most likely have their own cluster,load balancer setup. Noticed that the ones for top 10k are mostly "cloud", full blown managed or large/biggest ISP? Who caters commercial clients only cause of their pricing structure?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Your most likely right, but I was thinking more in terms of quality content / popularity as well :)

• Check this out though

I think EIG combined should be in the second place instead of separating Hg, Bluehost and Eig.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk Would be nice to have some of that market share, wouldn't it? Even a slim line on that pie chart :D

• @vpsnodebox said: @Taz_NinjaHawk Would be nice to have some of that share, wouldn't it?

Nah, We have been doing shared hosting for almost 4 years, I own stake on another pretty popular reseller host. Not really interested in merging ninjahawk with budget shared hosting.

We are working on our redundant shared hosting platform though. Still not sure how cpanel would re-act with such setup as we are still playing with server setup.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk It's hard to strike the right balance. We managed to pull this off: http://www.vpsnodebox.com/cloud-hosting - and it's improved shared hosting, but to be able to offer it at that makes it difficult to make much on it. The other day I had someone who asked on a discount and free SSL and what now on the Enterprise package, and I recommended him GoDaddy for that kind of stuff. Sometimes I feel like in the long run where better off steering clear of certain customers when it comes to shared hosting.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @vpsnodebox said: Sometimes I feel like in the long run where better off steering clear of certain customers when it comes to shared hosting.

Yes. And the main reason, I do not want to associate myself directly with any shared host. Not specially budget ones. If we ever manage to pull off what we are trying to archive, it might change how a lot of shared host is really offering service.
    Trying setup a sorta awesome failover/distributed network with minimum 3 location where files will be mirrored across mutiple servers and dns will be redundant and should have auto failover. Sill trying to see how much this is going to cost (bandwidth will be a limiting factor, but hey it never hurts to experiment :P)

• @Taz_NinjaHawk You will most likely hit some limits / run into some problems here and there with cPanel. While it's a nice piece of software, it has some stupid limitations. Just to give you one example: you can't easily set per account or at least per package type a custom php.ini configuration when using FastCGI. If you start writing your own config files cPanel will overwrite them. Of course in your case it might be something different. No built-in support for MariaDB, Nginx, PHP-FPM, multiple IP addresses per user account, never mind the weak IPv6 support, is also a problem with cPanel. Considering that the money keeps rolling in for cPanel, they are moving at a snail's pace to implement such things. Oh, before I forget, the MySQL 5.5 support is buggy.

Budget shared hosting? Never been a fan of it, and honestly, I don't see the point of it.